Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aus dollar V Euro..advice needed

Options
  • 04-11-2017 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi Guys...

I have moved back to Ireland after working in Australia. I have a savings account still active and i am now deciding i should close it and transfer the money back home. I am just wondering about:

1. Will the Aus Dollar get stronger or weaker against the Euro in the next few months? Currently it is 1 AUD = .66 Cents EUR

2. What is the best way to transfer my money home to Ireland? I have looked into Currency Fair but i am finding it difficult to register with them as i have two home addresses and they need alot of proof of just one address...i.e. my passport would be a different address to the address my bills are sent too....

Hope to hear from you soon! Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Buttons1916

Need some advice on this also...Doesn't seem like AUD dollar will be getting sronger anytime soon??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

OP if you can't prove your address then you won't be able to use any official currency broker. Of course you could resort to "alternative" options but these may lack in consumer protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I would speculate that there will be a financial crisis in Europe sometime in the near future

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

Nobody will know the future FX rate really. All available information is, in theory, reflected in the current rate. Unless someone knows something that market traders the world over don't know, you would be as well off just transferring it now.
    You can of course speculate either way but that's all it Is, blind speculation.
    Depends on how badly you need all the money. 2 reasonably solid currencies though I can't see massive swings either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Last four years it has fallen. It tends to pickup for a couple of months every year. It's value has dipped recently........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

People who can reliably predict future exchange rate movements do not post on Boards. They are far too busy managing their squillions and squillions of dollars from their tax haven paradise.

If you expect eventually to spend the money in Ireland, in euros, but you keep your savings in Australian dollars, you're taking a risk. It's a risk that could work out well for you, or badly. No-one can reliably tell you which way it will work out, so do not make this decision on the basis that you know, or can know, whether you will gain or lose by it. Instead you should make this decision on the basis that the possibility of a gain is sufficiently attractive to you that you will also accept the possibility of a loss.

Advertisement