Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why there are so many junkies (chavs/knackers)in Dublin?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

iodd7 wrote: »
    OP - your terminology is offensive - 'knacker' is a pejorative term for traveller (like calling a black person the n word) so you should edit your post - your recurring use of the word in your replies is strange.

Most of the time though it's used pejoratively about 'lower class/caste' people rather than specifically about Travellers although they are the original targets of the term, I don't particularly like it, as I have what many idiots perceive as 'a Traveller's face' so have heard it many a time to the point of it being grindingly tiresome.

The sort of people who bandy it around tend to be working-class people who delude themselves to be middle-class due to having a leaving cert, house, job and a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

iodd7 wrote: »
    Due to its derogatory usage to describe travellers, 'knacker' IS offensive, and identified as such.

You stated as fact that the term is offensive and asked the OP to edit their post..

The problem is that many of us either don't find it offensive or don't care that you do.

I can't see any reason why we should avoid certain phrases to protect your sensitivities..

Being offended is most definitely a choice and it doesn't give you rights to any sort of special treatment. Ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

wakka12 wrote: »
    Simply massive tracts of social housing within the city centre core. i dont know why, I havnt seen it anywhere else Ive ever visited. Or maybe other countries social housing is less instantly obvious as social housing. But yeh, huge amounts of the old georgian city were demolished to put up block after block of horrid looking social housing. I dont know why theyre still there, they should really be made into normal looking apartment complexes with mixes of paid homes and social houses with retail units at ground floor

Some of the most important,central land with extremely high economic potential shouldnt be given over to social housing. St patricks church, one of the countrys biggest tourist attractions st patricks church, is literally surrounded by social housing. Im not advocating moving these people out to suburbs and making slums. But they dont need to live in such central areas. Places like rathmines or harolds cross are perfect distance as they are within walking distance to cbd as well. But yeh it needs to change.

For the most part, the people living in these council estates aren't the people the OP is talking about. For one, if they have a home they aren't hanging around the streets unless they're teenagers. I know plenty of people living in social housing near St Pats and they all work, they aren't junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Swanner wrote: »
    You stated as fact that the term is offensive and asked the OP to edit their post..

The problem is that many of us either don't find it offensive or don't care that you do.

I can't see any reason why we should avoid certain phrases to protect your sensitivities..

Being offended is most definitely a choice and it doesn't give you rights to any sort of special treatment. Ever.

+100%

Awash as we are with stuff to be offended by,I would suggest that this is one where,by usage alone,that OP is home and dry.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/tag/knackeries

https://irishconstabulary.com/a-dublin-policeman-s-story-from-the-late-1930-s-t1281.html

Perhaps a new thread on Words & Terms deemed (by somebody) acceptable,is the best way forward ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Del2005 wrote: »
    All the drug treatment centres are in the city centre. Not helped by the lack of enforcement of our laws.

I think these facilities are misnamed, they should be called mistreatment centres.

The people who attend these places don't seem to get much treatment.
    The one that I pass daily has had the same people hanging around outside after their 'treatment' for years.

@OP: The answer that many people give is that there are no drug treatment centres in the suburbs of Dublin, so they're all in the city centre, hence the need for those who use them to come into the city.

How do they handle treatment in Boston.

Do you have the same type of 'characters' hanging around in Boston city centre.
    Do you have scumbags over there?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

It's only when you visit other cities in Ireland like limerick., Cork and Galway do you realise how unsafe Dublin centre is.

It is walking with zombies and anti social behaviour, there are addicts everywhere, an absolute kip of a place, Boston is streets ahead of it, very safe and clean city

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

place is full of lowlife waste of space scum

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It's only when you visit other cities in Ireland like limerick., Cork and Galway do you realise how unsafe Dublin centre is.

It is walking with zombies and anti social behaviour, there are addicts everywhere, an absolute kip of a place, Boston is streets ahead of it, very safe and clean city

Addicts may not be particularly attractive to your eye, but that doesn’t necessarily make the environment you see them in unsafe. Dublin City Centre isn’t particularly unsafe. A bit of common sense goes a long way in keeping you safe anywhere, and that probably starts with differentiating the unsightly from the dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so people with extremely complex issues are 'undesirables' and should be 'pushed out'? again, 'out of sight, out of mind' comes to mind! this solves the problem by......

I'm sorry but someone who puts a lot firework in someone else's hood and then laughs maniacally while the victim's head is engulfed in a shower of sparks does not have "extremely complex issues", he is a sadistic, psychopathic scumbag who needs to be locked up. End of story. This applies to the vast majority of scumbaggery in Dublin city which does not result from people committing theft or burglary, seeking revenge for some grudge or acting in self defenses - it results from individuals who believe that it is fun and entertaining to cause harm to others. As far as I'm concerned, such people have no place in a civilised society.

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    Addicts may not be particularly attractive to your eye, but that doesn’t necessarily make the environment you see them in unsafe. Dublin City Centre isn’t particularly unsafe. A bit of common sense goes a long way in keeping you safe anywhere, and that probably starts with differentiating the unsightly from the dangerous.

Agreed on the common sense but how do you manage the bit in bold ?

In my experience Dublin is one of the few cities where trouble will come find you..

You can be walking down any street minding your own business and some little knacker will come up looking for hassle..

So how do you manage to successfully differentiate between the unsightly and those looking to rob or attack you :confused:[/QUOTE]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so people with extremely complex issues are 'undesirables' and should be 'pushed out'? again, 'out of sight, out of mind' comes to mind! this solves the problem by......
    Well hanging around Dublin City Centre where they are likely to get hit by buses and trams is not in their interests either is it? and the state has more/less decided not to tackle these peoples complex issues.

cgcsb wrote: »
    Well hanging around Dublin City Centre where they are likely to get hit by buses and trams is not in their interests either is it? and the state has more/less decided not to tackle any complex issues.

FYP :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I'm sorry but someone who puts a lot firework in someone else's hood and then laughs maniacally while the victim's head is engulfed in a shower of sparks does not have "extremely complex issues", he is a sadistic, psychopathic scumbag who needs to be locked up. End of story. This applies to the vast majority of scumbaggery in Dublin city which does not result from people committing theft or burglary, seeking revenge for some grudge or acting in self defenses - it results from individuals who believe that it is fun and entertaining to cause harm to others. As far as I'm concerned, such people have no place in a civilised society.

You know the victim was a junkie herself? I think these people are far more at risk of violence than you're average Joe Soap on their way to work or the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

Lux23 wrote: »
    You know the victim was a junkie herself? I think these people are far more at risk of violence than you're average Joe Soap on their way to work or the pub.

Well 3 female colleagues of mine have been assaulted (for their phones) in the past 18 months in the Foley St / Talbot St area.

All whilst walking to Connolly Station.

Its a fcuking kip around there and nobody seems to give a sh1t about it
    The scum roam free and do what ever the hell they want.

Agreed on the common sense but how do you manage the bit in bold ?

In my experience Dublin is one of the few cities where trouble will come find you..

You can be walking down any street minding your own business and some little knacker will come up looking for hassle..

So how do you manage to successfully differentiate between the unsightly and those looking to rob or attack you :confused:

I’ve lived in the north inner city for twenty years, and Ringsend and Phibsboro for seven years before that. Never had any issue with violence or theft on the street. Perhaps it’s luck, but I suspect it’s more to do with just being savvy and not intimidated by, eh, ‘little knackers’.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

eduzzino5 wrote: »
    Please don't get me wrong - I don't want to offend or to insult anyone.
    I don't even know the right word to use (knackers/chavs/scumbags/junkies). I moved from Boston to Dublin last year and it seems to me there are so many knackers in the city.

Just wanted to understand if there is a reason (bad welfare? high level of drugs? low police enforcement?) of why there are so many knackers in Dublin (especially in the city center)

NO NO NO Your mistaken haha their just extras for the upcoming Walking Dead movie ehhhh yes really..

As I run away with shame for my Capital City :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

I lived in London for few years, so was aware of City Centre banning/asbo's orders in UK...
    Anyway I was searching just so I could post some info about such a thing, and that it would be a great idea for Dublin and probably other Towns and Cities around the Country...
    And I found this, I can only assume there is in no way enough of these bans being handed out!?..

https://www.wearedublintown.ie/2013/02/first-city-centre-asbos-served-barring-five-individuals/

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭eoinzy2000

G.G.G. wrote: »
    Lol, the drug addicts are here cos treatment clinics? Pretty sure they usually open cos there's already a high proportion of users in an area.....

Around the world, high concentrations of drug addicts (and associated social issues) tend to happen in similar environments. Low socio-economic status, associated unemployment, financial and mental stress,cyclical educational underachievement, a culture counter to the mainstream...

From what little I know, heroin addiction is prevalent in poor areas & synonymous with poverty. You need a lot of money to rehab here and probably a desirable end point to work to. So in short, it's the greedy b*****d's that are trying to gather as much as they can before they die that are at fault really. A pile of rehab and treatment would go a long way

Never had any issue with violence or theft on the street. Perhaps it’s luck, but I suspect it’s more to do with just being savvy and not intimidated by, eh, ‘little knackers’.

So are you saying that if everyone was as brave and savvy as you they wouldn't get attacked ?

I'm not so sure..

Take a quick glance at today's news for example...

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/quick-thinking-garda-uses-phone-app-to-locate-violent-daylight-robber-813131.html

This lady fought back hard against her attacker and was injured in the process. If she was intimidated she certainly wasn't showing it. I can't speak for her saviness but it's a classic example of a completely unprovoked attack on an innocent person going about their business in the city centre.

That's just from today..

The examples that disprove your theory are too numerous to mention..

Savvy indeed.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

So are you saying that if everyone was as brave and savvy as you they wouldn't get attacked ?

I'm not so sure..

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/quick-thinking-garda-uses-phone-app-to-locate-violent-daylight-robber-813131.html

This lady fought back hard against her attacker and was injured in the process. If she was intimidated she certainly wasn't showing it. I can't speak for her saviness but it's a classic example of a completely unprovoked attack on an innocent person going about their business in the city centre.

That's just from today..

Roll your eyes all you like me. You can find reports of bad stuff happening pretty much anywhere. It doesn’t make a Dublin an unsafe place, any more than it makes whatever other random location you search for crime in. My ‘theory’ is not any such thing, it’s a factual personal experience of living in this supposedly ‘unsafe’ environment for decades without incidence on the street theft/violence front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Roll your eyes all you like me. You can find reports of bad stuff happening pretty much anywhere. It doesn’t make a Dublin an unsafe place, any more than it makes whatever other random location you search for crime in. My ‘theory’ is not any such thing, it’s a factual personal experience of living in this supposedly ‘unsafe’ environment for decades without incidence on the street theft/violence front.

Maybe you are a man, and your experience isn’t the same as everyone’s. You were replying to a post about a female victim.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Paulzx

Maybe you are a man, and your experience isn’t the same as everyone’s. You were replying to a post about a female victim.

To be fair you are just as likely to be the victim of random street assaults and robbery as a man.

Gender is irrellevant to the low level scrotes. They hunt in packs and are willing to chance anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Paulzx wrote: »
    To be fair you are just as likely to be the victim of random street assaults and robbery as a man.

Gender is irrellevant to the low level scrotes. They hunt in packs and are willing to chance anything.

I don’t really know but I doubt it. Nothing’s ever happened to me as a male - and apparantly not to Alistar - on talbot street but I’ve heard stories from women.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I'm not so sure..

That's just from today..

I dont know how Ive gotten away without as much as a bad comment in Dublin..honestly never witnessed any antisocial behaviour there..Im in the city a lot during the week , often by myself, and go out at night there a lot too, and often walk home by myself from nights out.. Im a young guy and quite small/slim and people say Ive a dozy spaced out look about me :pac: Probably prime target..maybe Ive just been lucky.

Never had an aggressive beggar come up to me either..all been quite polite and very thankful if I give money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

Around Connolly Station, as would be quite normal for main train stations in cities, there are always bottom-hangers roaming about. The area between Connolly and O'Connell Street is littered with junkies. The park on Foley Street is where drug-dealing takes place out in the open. Anyone can go and witness this any day of the week. Similarly, there is an internet café that is open 24 hours and charges a nominal fee of €5 or something for people to stay and "use the café" all night if they wish. As a result, there is a crew of knackers hanging around outside from early evening through the night. The amount of junkies and beggars in the City Centre is too high and creates a putrid atmosphere and unwelcoming sight for tourists and locals alike. One of the most infuriating things to see is elderly people walking the streets and being visibly uncomfortable by the junkies shuffling around.

On a street level, our police force should take a proactive approach and almost harass the junkies for simply hanging around. They should be routinely told to move on from the areas, stopped and questioned, have their pathetic belongings seized and thrown in the bin and intimidated by the police.

At a higher level, DCC need to work on some sort of plan which looks at what causes such a congregation of sub-humans in our City Centre in order to try and deal with the problem. I do not think this is simply a poverty issue, there are lower-socioeconomic sections of the city centre and the vast majority of people living there do not live their lives perpetually strung out. The cause must be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Lux23 wrote: »

I don't mind people being junkies AKA drug addicts though. I mean it's sad and it sucks for them, and I think they should get help but being an addict in and of itself isn't necessarily causing harm to others and as such isn't necessarily part of the problem in Dublin. Only some drug addicts are also psychopathic scumbags who hurt, harass and physically attack others because they think it's funny, and only some psychopathic scumbags who hurt, harass and physically attack others because they think it's funny are also drug addicts. We need to start separating these types of people when we talk about this IMO. The person who gets wasted / blazed / out of it on some drug and then spends the rest of the day lying on the boardwalk or wandering around like a zombie is not a "problem" insofar as the wellbeing of other citizens is concerned. The person who randomly harasses, shouts at, hits, or violently assaults others just for fun is very definitely a "problem" for all of society, and it's those people I'm saying should be shown absolutely no pity or leniency whatsoever by the justice system.

There are drug addicts, there are violent drug addicts, and there are violent people in general. The latter two groups urgently need to be tackled. I'm not suggesting that the law should hassle or mass-incarcerate anyone in the former group, in fact I'm explicitly suggesting that it should refrain from doing this.

Let me put this in simpler terms - is there any evidence that the victim of the firework attack was the type of person who would similarly have assaulted / nearly killed another person and laugher her head off about it? If not, regardless of being a drug addict, she's not part of the problem as far as I'm concerned.

Hell, I'm from Dun Laoghaire and we have a fair few addicts here due to several methadone dispensaries in the area, but again only a tiny proportion of those get wasted and then go out to cause trouble for the rest of the day. The majority of them get their dose and then seek out a quiet, secluded or derelict space in which they can use it, obliviate themselves and essentially stay out of everyone's way. Most of them specifically aim to not be disturbed while they're out of it - the derelict baths building is widely known to be a hotspot for drug addicts these days. Those people may be junkies, but in my view they're not "knackers" as mentioned in the OP's post. Knackers are those who spend their day seeking ways to disrupt, annoy, and harm others - drugs or not.

Let me put it another way. Whether somebody leans out of their window and randomly shouts "WHAT DA FUQ ARE YEWWWWW LOOKIN' AH?!" at random passers by or not is a better indicator of whether they're a scumbag, than whether or not they have a drug addiction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Similarly, there is an internet café that is open 24 hours and charges a nominal fee of €5 or something for people to stay and "use the café" all night if they wish. As a result, there is a crew of knackers hanging around outside from early evening through the night.

This place is no longer 24 hours from about a month ago; whether it was voluntary or from pressure from the police I don't know, but it does appear to have reduced the amount of filth hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

eduzzino5 wrote: »
    Please don't get me wrong - I don't want to offend or to insult anyone.
    I don't even know the right word to use (knackers/chavs/scumbags/junkies). I moved from Boston to Dublin last year and it seems to me there are so many knackers in the city.

Just wanted to understand if there is a reason (bad welfare? high level of drugs? low police enforcement?) of why there are so many knackers in Dublin (especially in the city center)

Because Dublin is a hard city to make things work in and it leads to people dropping out socially in various ways.

It's overpriced, underfunded, under developed and has been governed by a succession of cunts who don't give a damn about the devastating wake they leave, because none of them ever have to face the consequences of their actions/policies.

People here have essentially had their ability to put a roof over their heads taken away from them and their ability start families in stable environments, due to incredibly bad political mechanisation over the last 25 years or so. You can't buy a house, you can't rent for anything reasonable, your next crappy paycheck could be your last and you may find yourself on shitty part of the Monopoly board through no real fault of your own.

There are also a cadre of folk that just don't care any more. They've given up more or less, because they know it's too much of an uphill struggle. So, they live for today and to hell with tomorrow. They know that they'll be 35 and still living at home with their parents. They know there's no real future. So, they act it out.

They have nothing to lose and nothing to gain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,286 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Stoner wrote: »
    San Francisco about 10 years ago was terrible, but they've addressed that issue to a large degree.

Have you been to SF recently?

EVERY street corner littered with homeless people, either mental or off their face.

It's a diabolical city.

Advertisement