Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homesick after baby

Options
  • 05-11-2017 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I moved to Australia several years ago and it has been the best decision of my life. Met my incredible husband, have an amazing group of friends and have never been happier. I've always missed family but have had no regrets about the move and still believe it was the best thing I could have done for myself.

We had our first child earlier this year and I am struggling with homesickness ever since. I can't seem to overcome this sense of guilt for keeping my parents from seeing their grandchild. From the time I wake up I feel guilty about how much they're missing out on. I have seen them twice this year but it hasn't helped. They love the baby so much and are amazing grandparents. We FaceTime often but it's not the same. My inlaws live close by and they are so different to my parents. I find myself resenting them because they get to see our baby when they want.

Moving home isn't an option. My husband is the most incredible man and I love him so much but sometimes I just feel so alone and almost resent him because he's the reason I'm here. I just don't know how to make myself snap out of this. Barely a day has passed since baby arrived that I don't have a little cry over how much I miss home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My nana lives in Perth. She came home to see me in 1974 when I was one. That is my first memory. She brought me a green dog and a pink sheepskin rug. I can recall the flash going off as the pictures were taken.

I cannot get over how my Mam coped in those early days. But what I would say I have the most amazing relationship with my family. Every day I Viber my two closest aunts in Perth, my cousin in Sydney, and my cousin in New Jersey. I barely see my cousin who lives up the road.

I know it's hard but technology is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

I know how you feel, I have 3 children here in Sydney, none of us have seen my parents in almost 3 years now and if I think too much about it the tears spring to my eyes.
    No advice I just understand.

Advertisement