Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bixies manufacturer?

Options
  • 05-11-2017 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭

My kids prefer Lidl Bixies over Wheatabix. Does anyone know who manufacturers them?

For reference, other closed thread on supermarket own brands: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056195473

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are branded as Cornfield, which is a registered Trademark for Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Vic_08

I haven't tried the Lidl ones but the Aldi and Tesco own brand have an identical best before / production code print format as the branded ones so I wouldn't be surprised if all wheat bisk products are made by the same manufacturer.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭boardtc

They are branded as Cornfield, which is a registered Trademark for Lidl.
    Yes, indeed, does anyone know who makes them for Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,022 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The own brands are nearly all made by weetabix ltd but not necessarily to the same recipe. Don't eat them myself to judge the taste but I've seen differences in the level of adhesion of the remains on bowls.

Marshalls brand in Tesco even have weetabix ltd's address on the box

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is this just curiosity or is there something you are going to do with the info?

You can often tell by comparing ingredients listings, and nutritional info. The same manufacturer will often name things in the same way. Packaging is also often a give away, I think it would be odd for the same factory to churn out slightly different metal designs of tins of beans.

There is a BBC tv program where families swop their pricey brands for cheaper ones, and slyly some are not changed. They put the own brand stuff in new containers so there is no name visible at all. On last weeks episode a fussy ~13 year old girl was saying the replacement own brand weetabix were smaller, and she was appalled at the taste of them, the voiceover was saying they were actually weetabix!

Even if out of the same factory it certainly does not mean they are the same. In the past you used to hear people say the likes of biscuits could be baked faster at a higher heat, or use lower quality flour etc, which is true. -but there is nothing to say they could be making superior tasting versions in the same factory.

In the food forum I was showing blind tastes done where heinz ketchup was scoring lower compared to other brands, including own brands. This does not surprise me in the slightest. I was saying manufacturers could easily make loads of different formulations and have blind tastes done, should be an easy enough job to make one to score higher. Aldi ketchup has way more tomatoes in it than heinz. I prefer tesco twix over the real ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Valeo Foods do a lot of contract manufacturing

Advertisement