Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q : Who goes skiing and where are you from ?

Options
  • 05-11-2017 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

If you go on regular skiing trips I would love to know where you are from in ireland ?

First time or regular skiers ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

From Wicklow!

Skiing every year to Austria (usually Ischgl, st Anton, lech) usually a 10 day trip mid March! This year will be our 13th skiing holiday!

This year trying to sneak in an extra week at Christmas too (snow dependant)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭khc

Cork but living in dublin which is great for flight options especially Geneva and Zurich

Skied mostly around middle Europe and a bit of Eastern Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Wicklow originally but living in Dublin now.

First brought skiing (very reluctantly on my part) by my now wife, 12 years ago.
    Got bitten by the bug and have been twice a year ever since (early Jan and mid spring)

We now stick to France mostly, but have been to Austria, Italy (taking the op to ski to Swizterland!) and the US.
    Ski in/out, and Self Accommodation all the way for us now. Few quiet drinks in the evenings, then up early enough to make the most of the ski.

One of my favourite things in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭fmlarnapairce

Wicklow originally but living in Dublin now.

First brought skiing (very reluctantly on my part) by my now wife, 12 years ago.
    Got bitten by the bug and have been twice a year ever since (early Jan and mid spring)

We now stick to France mostly, but have been to Austria, Italy (taking the op to ski to Swizterland!) and the US.
    Ski in/out, and Self Accommodation all the way for us now. Few quiet drinks in the evenings, then up early enough to make the most of the ski.

One of my favourite things in the world![/QUOT7

Galway, usually Austria but have a soft spot for Switzerland.

Just as a matter of interest, where do you go in early jan, a friend looking for advice and am mulling over where to send him, he's between beginner and intermediate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

From Louth

Snowboard every season, multiple times a season if I can :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Galway, usually Austria but have a soft spot for Switzerland.

Just as a matter of interest, where do you go in early jan, a friend looking for advice and am mulling over where to send him, he's between beginner and intermediate.

Last few times, France. Les Arcs 1950, La Tania, and Montgenevre

First two both excellent locations, with HEAPS of skiing throughout the 3 Valleys, though they're tiny purpose built villages so they wouldn't be big party towns.

Montgenevre was fine, but snow wasn't great the time we were there, but wouldn't rule out going back. Also not a big party town, though a real town as opposed to being purpose built.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I would say 99% of people who post on this thread go skiing or have done a few times in the past. As for where you are from...what relevance is this again 99% of contributors will be Irish. In saying that I've been on a ski trip almost every season since '99.....have pleateau'd ability wise but can get down any slope but my off piste skills would be limited......prefer to stay on the marked routes.....south east resident and have been to zermatt, st Anton, 3 valleys, Val disere, Morzine, saalbach a number of times

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

From dublin, live in Galway.

Skied approx 23 or 24 weeks.
    After couple years of lessons, just free skied, then got lessons again and had technique taken apart and rebuilt, now far better skier

Usually big french resorts, but have been to small and big Italian, swiss and austrians one too.

heading to flaine this season.

Road-Hog wrote: »
    I would say 99% of people who post on this thread go skiing or have done a few times in the past. As for where you are from...what relevance is this again 99% of contributors will be Irish. In saying that I've been on a ski trip almost every season since '99.....have pleateau'd ability wise but can get down any slope but my off piste skills would be limited......prefer to stay on the marked routes.....south east resident and have been to zermatt, st Anton, 3 valleys, Val disere, Morzine, saalbach a number of times

I’m nearer the 1% types. Have been skiing twice with school many, many moons ago. One week in madesimo, Italy and another week in France but can’t remember where. Planning on taking my husband before the season ends. Dunno where yet, hence I’ve started browsing this forum.

Originally from London now live in Leitrim. I had a dry ski slope quite near me growing up and it was somewhere my mates and I went on weekends. Are there any dry ski slopes in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

From North Dublin.
    Been skiing for the last 18 years.Have a core group we go with and have new additions /leavers each year.
    Go to Austria too as it ticks all the boxes-Reasonably priced booze,good night life,snow cannons in the event there is little snow,good parks for free style,short enough transfer and atmosphere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭willah

davmol wrote: »
    From North Dublin.
    Been skiing for the last 18 years.Have a core group we go with and have new additions /leavers each year.
    Go to Austria too as it ticks all the boxes-Reasonably priced booze,good night life,snow cannons in the event there is little snow,good parks for free style,short enough transfer and atmosphere.

Roll on January

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭davmol

willah wrote: »
    davmol wrote: »
    From North Dublin.

Roll on January
    cant come quick enough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Haven't gone skiing since the kiddies came along. Would love to take them to the slopes some time but it'll be a while yet. Plus it'd probably be too expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

lawred2 wrote: »
    Haven't gone skiing since the kiddies came along. Would love to take them to the slopes some time but it'll be a while yet. Plus it'd probably be too expensive.

Depending on age, they're mostly free in some places! The only thing we have to pay for our fella (he's nearly 4) is ski school & flights. His accommodation, HB food and gear rental are free and his ski pass is a nominal amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Had my little one, on skis 3rd birthday, small bursts of myself and wife teaching, then ski school on 5th birthday.

Lots of instructors have said local kids on skis at 3 but only start to teach at 5yr,
    has worked well so far, we are making sure to keep it fun.

Beginner lifts often free, but it is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭BarryNumber1

From Cork, now Limerick. Tried skiing, switched to snowboarding and have been riding on and off for 20 years. Lived in CA for a spell so plenty of trips to Tahoe region, big fan of Dodge and Kirkwood. Everyone was mellow, great snow and staff, CA lifties are great, loads of encouragement and banter. Bit of a hiatus and next up was the East Coast (NH Loon, MA multiple and VT Mount Snow)... truly brutal stuff when it's bad, had to completely review technique, better rider now but was painful there for a while.

Managed some time in Pamporova and Livigno as well, one could spend a week in Livigno, don't go near the slopes and come back and had a great time. Kids now bigger so trying to get them involved, but costs are prohibitive, this is not a cheap activity unfortunately but a far better holiday to look back on.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I’m nearer the 1% types. Have been skiing twice with school many, many moons ago. One week in madesimo, Italy and another week in France but can’t remember where. Planning on taking my husband before the season ends. Dunno where yet, hence I’ve started browsing this forum.

Originally from London now live in Leitrim. I had a dry ski slope quite near me growing up and it was somewhere my mates and I went on weekends. Are there any dry ski slopes in Ireland?

There's one in Dublin (Kilternan) and I think there's one up in Northern Ireland.

Living in Dublin, tried skiing years ago in Australia of all places. Haven't looked back since! I try to get in 5+ weeks a year now as I don't bother with sun holidays. On my wish list this season is some ski touring in Northern Sweden apart from the usual spins to France and Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,359 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Living in Dublin, tried skiing years ago in Australia of all places. Haven't looked back since! I try to get in 5+ weeks a year now as I don't bother with sun holidays. On my wish list this season is some ski touring in Northern Sweden apart from the usual spins to France and Austria.

5+ weeks a year

good lord

"5+ weeks"... wouldn't mind 1 guaranteed week a year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭masseyno9

From Dublin, now live in Calgary. 
    Skied from aged 12-16, 1 week a year. Then changed and snowboarded the past 15 years (christ, never saw that written down before!) We used to go to Andorra a lot due to budget and options at the time. Think we did Pamporovo once, maybe twice. Then spent a season in Les Gets (near Morzine) about 6 years ago. Moved to Calgary 5 years ago and now it's day trips to Sunshine Village and Lake Louise a couple of times a month. Also, usually a couple of weekends further afield, too. Hoping to get on a cat trip this year, and maybe a heli-trip in the next couple of years. Have done some decent hike-in runs and dropped into some pretty cool terrain with some of the 'locals' I've gone riding with.

Spoilt for choice over here, really. First day of the season on Saturday, just going to a small resort (Mt. Norquay) near Banff but I got my hands on the office lift pass, so it's free. Tickets are usually about $100/day on average, so a free day here and there is nice! The season is quite long over here. Most places opened last week with a good percentage of terrain open and will go to mid-May.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭keith_sixteen

Am Irish, but living in Switzerland. Only getting into it to the last season and really enjoyed it. Spent a fortune buying gear this month having previously just rented.

Living here, you are spoiled for choice. There are plenty of small places for kids to learn as well as plenty of big resorts.

However, not sure I would recommend it for visitors. It's pricey and the big resorts can get very crowded.

lawred2 wrote: »
    5+ weeks a year

good lord

I did say I don't do sun holidays :D, all my holidays are pretty much ski holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭andyd12

Snowboarder from Kildare, in college in sligo.

Learned to to board in Canada(BC) when I lived there 2013 -2015, I got 2 full seasons there.(whistler,cypress,apex etc)

Went to Austria with 7 guys last year, going to st. Anton,Austria again this year with 9guys for a week. Expensive trips when you are a student but it would kill me if a decided not to go. Going in late January, sooooo pumped!!!

Think Austria is pretty cool, I can just compare it to Canada but facilities ie lifts are much better, faster etc. Passes are way cheaper. Beer and food is much nicer and cheaper also. Apres is great craic too

Only small complaint is the Europeans don't have the same courtesy as the Canadians in the lift queue, which is just annoying but just a bit the way the cultures are in general

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭gingernut79

Myself and himself are off to Mayrhofen Austria for the 4th time in early Feb (5th time for him). We can only manage 4 nights away and going somewhere we know helps us make the most of our time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

andyd12 wrote: »
    Snowboarder from Kildare, in college in sligo.

Learned to to board in Canada(BC) when I lived there 2013 -2015, I got 2 full seasons there.(whistler,cypress,apex etc)

Went to Austria with 7 guys last year, going to st. Anton,Austria again this year with 9guys for a week. Expensive trips when you are a student but it would kill me if a decided not to go. Going in late January, sooooo pumped!!!

Think Austria is pretty cool, I can just compare it to Canada but facilities ie lifts are much better, faster etc. Passes are way cheaper. Beer and food is much nicer and cheaper also. Apres is great craic too

Only small complaint is the Europeans don't have the same courtesy as the Canadians in the lift queue, which is just annoying but just a bit the way the cultures are in general

Can you outline a bit more re the 'courtesy' shown by North Americans at the lift q's.....i can honestly say that after almost 20 ski trips in Europe I can't recall any incidents that I would regard as bad courtesy / etequitte at a lift q. Can you define the type of poor behaviour you are taking about??

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭andyd12

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Can you outline a bit more re the 'courtesy' shown by North Americans at the lift q's.....i can honestly say that after almost 20 ski trips in Europe I can't recall any incidents that I would regard as bad courtesy / etequitte at a lift q. Can you define the type of poor behaviour you are taking about??
    Ehhhh, cutting in front of you when clearly you are the next person in line. For example when 2 lines converge, it's the norm for left to go then right then left etc etc. But not in Europe, just my 2cents and MY experience. People in Canada are in it for the common goal but in Europe it's for personal gain basically

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

andyd12 wrote:
    Ehhhh, cutting in front of you when clearly you are the next person in line. For example when 2 lines converge, it's the norm for left to go then right then left etc etc. But not in Europe, just my 2cents and MY experience. People in Canada are in it for the common goal but in Europe it's for personal gain basically

I've only been on the one trip, but I'd have to say that's fair. It's very much an all for themselves in the lift queues. The more you push your way to the front the faster you get on. Other than the first lift in the morning it wasn't a problem, you'll only miss a couple of chairs from people cutting in. But that first lift every day was 20 minutes of queuing if you make sure to never leave any space in front of you. 30 if you give people the opportunity to cut in front of you.

If would have been nice if the queue was done properly and everyone queued for equally long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

My main problem for going regulary is - nobody to go with.

I generally just stall and look around for who's going but then end up not finding anyone and just going solo.
    I would love to go twice a year (start of year and end of year) but going solo is a bit discouraging.

Living in Dublin.

• Advertisement

@arleitiss LOL, doing that right now. It takes more determination but it sure beats no snowboarding. My current view... see attached.

Mind you a 3-4 hour drive to and from might cure me.

Advertisement