Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Q : Who goes skiing and where are you from ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Eastern Europe and Italy for me, mostly small enough resorts. Looking to try Switzerland this season. The ultimate dream is Japan though that's likely to have to wait a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 lulut

From the south east. Started off skiing years ago but changed to snowboarding about 4 years ago and love it. I try and get two trips a year in but only one planned this year due to funds. Most of my friends and family now rearing young kids so they gave up the ski hols. started going on singles trips where you meet up with other solo skiers and boarders. Have made quiet a few friends from it and heading off with a bunch of them this February to austria on a trip we organised ourselves . Can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭blue note

arleitiss wrote: »
    My main problem for going regulary is - nobody to go with.

I generally just stall and look around for who's going but then end up not finding anyone and just going solo.
    I would love to go twice a year (start of year and end of year) but going solo is a bit discouraging.

Living in Dublin.

You should try and book the Top Flight trip or one with the ski club of Dublin or something. That way you'd have one in the diary at least every year anyway.

mixery wrote: »
    Eastern Europe and Italy for me, mostly small enough resorts. Looking to try Switzerland this season. The ultimate dream is Japan though that's likely to have to wait a few years.

Used to Eastern Europe and going to Switzerland this season? From what I hear you're in for a shock!

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

My main problem for going regulary is - nobody to go with.

I generally just stall and look around for who's going but then end up not finding anyone and just going solo.
    I would love to go twice a year (start of year and end of year) but going solo is a bit discouraging.

Living in Dublin.

This was my problem originally, the need for skiing won out. I originally went off with Cold Fusion to one of their chalets in Chamonix but I only did a couple of trips with them as I found it too expensive.

Since then when I can't get friends to go I now go to the UCPA instead. I have found that great and very good for solo skiers to make friends. In fact this year I'm heading back to the UPCA for Xmas/New year and some previous buddies I've made along the way are joining me for those two weeks. I've also given Snowheads a go as well and enjoyed that also to the point that I have booked another trip with them this winter.

There's so many options for solo skiers/boarders that you shouldn't let that hold you back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

blue note wrote: »
    Used to Eastern Europe and going to Switzerland this season? From what I hear you're in for a shock!

We'll see, I'm just happy to get on the slopes at any opportunity! Eastern Europe has gotten surprisingly expensive so I've given it a miss recently. Also Northern Italian resorts in my experience are always full of polish/czech groups so I guess the trend is still going.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Kilkenny

Family holiday every to Austria.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

I’m based in Dublin.
    I have been lucky enough to go boarding every year since 2001 , bar winter 2014/2015.

I normally head to Chamonix twice a year. Once in January and again in March.
    Other than Cham, Ive been to Austria four times, Andorra twice, Morzine once.

I also have family who live Vermont (near Stowe) and they are always inviting us over for some skiing/boarding. If the chance comes up we may take sometime off and nip over in March for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Used to go for a week every year some where in Europe for ten years.
    Did two ski seasons in Canada.
    Hopping the snow will come to me here in Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

DoraDelite wrote: »
    This was my problem originally, the need for skiing won out. I originally went off with Cold Fusion to one of their chalets in Chamonix but I only did a couple of trips with them as I found it too expensive.

Since then when I can't get friends to go I now go to the UCPA instead. I have found that great and very good for solo skiers to make friends. In fact this year I'm heading back to the UPCA for Xmas/New year and some previous buddies I've made along the way are joining me for those two weeks. I've also given Snowheads a go as well and enjoyed that also to the point that I have booked another trip with them this winter.

There's so many options for solo skiers/boarders that you shouldn't let that hold you back.

I went with UCPA twice last year.

First time I got two awesome Australians with whom we ended up hanging out entire week and 2nd time I got 3 French teens who didn't speak any English and it was awkward as hell.

• Advertisement

You should try and book the Top Flight trip or one with the ski club of Dublin or something. That way you'd have one in the diary at least every year anyway.

Will look into it, thank you.

Meant to say topflight today fm trip btw. You pay a little premium, but it sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dzer2

Meant to say topflight today fm trip btw. You pay a little premium, but it sounds great.

Sold out for months

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

dzer2 wrote: »
    Sold out for months

Coppers do one, might be available

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Snowheads.com is great for solos, they do a few "bashes" through out the season and have a solo ski buddy list

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I went with UCPA twice last year.

First time I got two awesome Australians with whom we ended up hanging out entire week and 2nd time I got 3 French teens who didn't speak any English and it was awkward as hell.

Another big fan of the ucpa (or action outdoors for English speakers), the main trick to avoid experiences like your 2nd trip is always email the action outdoors crew just before you book, and ask them straight out how many English speakers are booked into that resort for that week. If you got lobbed in with 3 French teens are you sure you didn't book through the ucpa website?

Anyways this thread is meant to be posting about me ha, based in East Wicklow, gone skiing 3 separate times, always to the French alps, 2 of them times with the ucpa, got a group going of us going with the ucpa again in March, to val thorens this time. Gotta spread my wings after that trip and go to the Italian and Austrian alps for any future trips. Always skied, gotta rob one of the lads snowboards this year to try it out for half a day though.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Another big fan of the ucpa (or action outdoors for English speakers), the main trick to avoid experiences like your 2nd trip is always email the action outdoors crew just before you book, and ask them straight out how many English speakers are booked into that resort for that week. If you got lobbed in with 3 French teens are you sure you didn't book through the ucpa website?

Anyways this thread is meant to be posting about me ha, based in East Wicklow, gone skiing 3 separate times, always to the French alps, 2 of them times with the ucpa, got a group going of us going with the ucpa again in March, to val thorens this time. Gotta spread my wings after that trip and go to the Italian and Austrian alps for any future trips. Always skied, gotta rob one of the lads snowboards this year to try it out for half a day though.

Yes first time I booked with Action Outdoors and 2nd time directly through UCPA.
    Didn't think it made difference.

Boy was I wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

Yes first time I booked with Action Outdoors and 2nd time directly through UCPA.
    Didn't think it made difference.

Boy was I wrong.

Stick with Action Outdoors for sure. They're great for emailing or ringing if you need to check that kind of thing, I've never been in a room with french speakers only. I find they generally will try and put you in a room with similar people if you're on your own. I've used them for 5 trips at this stage and had a great time on each.

DoraDelite wrote: »
    Stick with Action Outdoors for sure. They're great for emailing or ringing if you need to check that kind of thing, I've never been in a room with french speakers only. I find they generally will try and put you in a room with similar people if you're on your own. I've used them for 5 trips at this stage and had a great time on each.

Gonna give it another try next October so :D

(I don't suppose there are summer places for skiing/snowboarding (Not just France but anywhere))?

Advertisement