Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And FX 6300??

Options
  • 05-11-2017 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Heya guys just looking for some advise on a new processor my motherboard only supports am3+ I have an amd fx4100 at the moment and wondering if it's a good move it only supports 95w and I'm on a budget I have an geforce 1050ti is this a good move ??
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Simi

Anto343 wrote: »
    Heya guys just looking for some advise on a new processor my motherboard only supports am3+ I have an amd fx4100 at the moment and wondering if it's a good move it only supports 95w and I'm on a budget I have an geforce 1050ti is this a good move ??
    Thanks

Unless you're getting it for a pittance, no. It'll be marginally faster with both processors at stock, but when overclocked to the same frequency, the difference is insignificant.

You'd be far better off saving a bit more & getting a used i5 and new motherboard. Any generation will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I agree it's easier just to re-use your old ram, buy a H81M board for €50 new and get a 2nd hand i5 like i5-4440 or 4460 for about €100-120 2nd hand.

Sell your AM3 board and FX4100 for about €70-80. The FX-6300 is a somewhat decent improvement over the FX-4100, but it's still very lacklustre for gaming (still fairly decent for video editing and other multi-threaded software).

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Anto343

Yeah, I agree it's easier just to re-use your old ram, buy a H81M board for €50 new and get a 2nd hand i5 like i5-4440 or 4460 for about €100-120 2nd hand.

Sell your AM3 board and FX4100 for about €70-80. The FX-6300 is a somewhat decent improvement over the FX-4100, but it's still very lacklustre for gaming (still fairly decent for video editing and other multi-threaded software).

Well I'm not looking for ultra settings or anything I play on medium all the time it's not an issue for me I'm not fussy I just want a cheap CPU that will be good for the odd game like GTA or fallout that's really it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Used i5 or new Ryzen 3-1200 build would get you better performance than upgrading the CPU to FX-6300.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anto343 wrote: »
    Well I'm not looking for ultra settings or anything I play on medium all the time it's not an issue for me I'm not fussy I just want a cheap CPU that will be good for the odd game like GTA or fallout that's really it

The FX-4100 will still play GTA V and Fallout 4, but the framerates will be far lower than they would be on an i5 and somewhere around 40-50fps with minimum dips to about 25-30 in FO4 or so I would guess. GTA V would run better than Fallout 4.

But to put it into perspective, it wouldn't be much difference from the PS4 or XB1 versions, which are both locked to 30fps, and you would have better image quality than either console with the GTX1050Ti.

The FX-6300 would be about 20-30% better but it would be a waste of money to drop €100 on one now when you could get a vastly superior 2nd hand i5 for that price.

In fact you could get a 2nd hand Dell desktop for about €150-180 on Ebay with an i5-3570 and 8GB of ram, just carry over your GTX1050Ti, and massive upgrade complete.

If you don't want to do that and got an FX-6300/6350 second hand for €50-60 you could just do that....but anything more is a bit pointless.

• Advertisement

The FX-4100 will still play GTA V and Fallout 4, but the framerates will be far lower than they would be on an i5 and somewhere around 40-50fps with minimum dips to about 25-30 or so I would guess.

The FX-6300 would be about 20% better but it would be a waste of money to drop €100 on one now when you could get a vastly superior 2nd hand i5 for that price.

In fact you could get a 2nd hand Dell desktop for about €150-180 on Ebay with an i5-3570 and 8GB of ram, just carry over your GTX1050Ti, and massive upgrade complete.

If you don't want to do that and got an FX-6300/6350 second hand for €50-60 you could just do that....but anything more is a bit pointless.

Well I have an old dell desktop I think it has a pentuim in it or something I might check the compatibility it has a graphics card slot and everything if the i5 can fit in that but I know the motherboard is kinda old so it might not work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭satguy

If your case and PSU are still good, I would look at selling off my Motherboard + CPU as a bundle, maybe even the ram as well.

The 4100 is a quad core, and the Ryzen 1200 is a quad core also, but has 52% better IPC than the 4100. Also there is a very nice upgrade path with the AM4 socket board. Plus you already own a 1050Ti.

With what you might make from your old parts, it should not hurt your pocket too much, and will move you from AM3 to AM4.

satguy wrote: »
    If your case and PSU are still good, I would look at selling off my Motherboard + CPU as a bundle, maybe even the ram as well.

The 4100 is a quad core, and the Ryzen 1200 is a quad core also, but has 52% better IPC than the 4100. Also there is a very nice upgrade path with the AM4 socket board. Plus you already own a 1050Ti.

With what you might make from your old parts, it should not hurt your pocket too much, and will move you from AM3 to AM4.

For now I don't want to upgrade anything other than my processor and I'm just wondering what one is the best for my pc I'll prob upgrade in a year or 2 but for now I'm a student and it's hard to pay for more parts I was just wondering if there's a point in moving up to the FX 6100 for that bit better performance

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

As was said above if you can find a FX 6100 cheap second hand then you may as well get it but do not buy one new or pay a high price for one second hand as it is not worth it at this stage.

Advertisement