Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lodger and access to living room

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

No, every lodger and person in a house share sizes up the people they will be interacting with before entering the house share. You didn't present this person to her as someone who would have access to enter the front door any time of the day or night with only a hollow interior door between her and them for the next four months.
    Your inability to place yourself in their position and see things from their POV speaks volumes about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

737max wrote: »
    Is this a wind up?
    The lodger is paying for accommodation and had inspected the landlord/landlady and decided they felt comfortable to live under a roof with them. The landlord/landlady now informs them that they will be moving in someone else temporarily who might be Harvey or Harriet Weinstein for all the lodger knows and the Landlord/Landlady can't understand why the lodger feels put out.
    I hope the lodger finds somewhere where they feel more comfortable/safe soon and that the lodger doesn't have to pay for upkeep of this Landlord/Landlady's home while they are off swanning around over winter.

I really hope she find a nice place but if she keep behaving like this she is not going to create a better situation. I found out that the last landlord didn't give her the deposit back because she was subletting in Airbnb. Dishonest people never have a easy life

There is no arguing with you. Better off out. I do still suspect that you are trying a wind-up here.

737max wrote: »
    No, every lodger and person in a house share sizes up the people they will be interacting with before entering the house share. You didn't present this person to her as someone who would have access to enter the front door any time of the day or night with only a hollow interior door between her and them for the next four months.
    Your inability to place yourself in their position and see things from their POV speaks volumes about you.

People change around in houseshares all the time, just because you move in and are living with say 3 others doesn't mean that all 3 won't move out and new people in after a month or 3 months or 6 months.... who knows and you won't necessarily have a say either in a houseshare never mind in an owner occupier house where you have zero rights.

All part of living in shared accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

but now I don't know what they might do when I am not at my property.........

https://gfycat.com/DefenselessScaryFunnelweaverspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭lucat

People change around in houseshares all the time, just because you move in and are living with say 3 others doesn't mean that all 3 won't move out and new people in after a month or 3 months or 6 months.... who knows and you won't necessarily have a say either in a houseshare never mind in an owner occupier house where you have zero rights.

But you basically do 'vet' anyone who wants to become your housemate when you meet them/get references etc., and if you're looking for somewhere to live you're naturally going to meet the people renting out the room so you too can decide if you'd like to live there or not. Each party can make their own decision.

I'd be really shocked if a housemate of mine left for a few months and then just informed me that a friend of hers was moving in, without giving me any say in the matter. As if the fact that they're friends should be enough to satisfy me that we'd get along well and that they're trustworthy. Have they ever even met before? If she didn't like your friend, do you think she would feel comfortable telling you? And would you listen? Probably not, because it's your friend.

FWIW, I did have this happen before when I was living with 2 others. I moved away for 4 months and my housemate's friend stayed in my room. But the 3rd housemate was happy with the arrangement (she had a say), and we all had locks on our doors so if she didn't feel like the person was trustworthy for some reason she could lock her stuff in her room at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

lucat wrote: »

I'd be really shocked if a housemate of mine left for a few months and then just informed me that a friend of hers was moving in, without giving me any say in the matter. As if the fact that they're friends should be enough to satisfy me that we'd get along well and that they're trustworthy. Have they ever even met before? If she didn't like your friend, do you think she would feel comfortable telling you? And would you listen? Probably not, because it's your friend.

FWIW, I did have this happen before when I was living with 2 others. I moved away for 4 months and my housemate's friend stayed in my room. But the 3rd housemate was happy with the arrangement (she had a say), and we all had locks on our doors so if she didn't feel like the person was trustworthy for some reason she could lock her stuff in her room at least.

But if you are just housemates who have taken on a lease together then you have a say in who lives there or how a room is rented out. When it is an owner occupier house, the owner occupier has the say, the lodger renting the room has zero rights because it is the main residence of the owner occupier. The OP could turf the lodger out tonight and the lodger couldn't do a thing about it.

If the owner occupier's plans change with regard to the house, it is up to the lodger to see if they are still happy to stay in the house, otherwise they can move on.

But you basically do 'vet' anyone who wants to become your housemate when you meet them/get references etc., and if you're looking for somewhere to live you're naturally going to meet the people renting out the room so you too can decide if you'd like to live there or not. Each party can make their own decision.

you don't understand I am not her housemate, I am her landlord. you really don't know the difference between lodger and housemate. A lodger is much more similar to a guest staying in a B&B than in a house shared by others housemate. Would you stay in a B&B and complaining to the host about other guests?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

you don't understand I am not her housemate, I am her landlord. you really don't know the difference between lodger and housemate. A lodger is much more similar to a guest staying in a B&B than in a house shared by others housemate. Would you stay in a B&B and complaining to the host about other guests?

Is thiis person really a lodger though: are you cooking their bteakfast and dinner and doing their washing? If not then they're a housemate and have rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Lead

Is thiis person really a lodger though: are you cooking their bteakfast and dinner and doing their washing? If not then they're a housemate and have rights.

They have no rights at all living in an owner occupied house. Brush up on your facts.

• Advertisement

I just rent a room, I don't have to serve breakfast and dinner or doing her washing, where did you get this information? I have been a lodger for many years and no way the landlord/landlady was cooking or doing my washing.
    Meals are usually serve to young students also because the students are forbidden to use the kitchen and cook their meals and I can understand, I would never let a 15 years old boy using my kitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭lucat

Sure I wouldn't have a contract with the B&B owner. Do you have anything in writing?
    I know the legal set-up may be different, but the day-to-day living arrangement is broadly the same as with housemates, so it's probably more a courtesy issue than anything from her perspective. I would check with Threshold though to be sure.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

What rights do you think someone has renting a room in an owner occupied house?

I'm not sure what your point is, yes when you are looking for a houseshare you might judge it on the people living there but that can change very quickly and you might have no say in it. Some houseshares the people living there can choose the new arrival, some the person leaving picks the new person and in others the LL makes the decisions so only 1/3 situations do you have any say and even in that scenario you can be voted down by your other housemates.

Wrong is not a strong enough word....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Is this a general thing, these days that lodgers aren't allowed to use the living room?

I definitely think since the era of larger mortgages, you have people that want financial help with their mortgage but literally begrudge every millisecond the lodger spends in the property.

Sure I wouldn't have a contract with the B&B owner. Do you have anything in writing?
    I know the legal set-up may be different, but the day-to-day living arrangement is broadly the same as with housemates, so it's probably more a courtesy issue than anything from her perspective. I would check with Threshold though to be sure.

I don't have any contract with the lodger, I could ask her to leave tomorrow if I want and she could leave tomorrow if she want. Just as in a B&B.
    I have been a lodger for many years and I have been living with several landlords and I never sign a contract, I am very surprise about how many people don't have idea what means to be a lodger
    For sure you have some restriction if you live with the landlord and you have to observe their rule but usually the house is well maintained and you are not losing your deposit if you decide to leave at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

There are many disadvantages to living with an owner-occupier, but one advantage would be the fact that you have stability in who you're sharing with - you can be quite sure that the person you're sharing with won't move out and move someone else in, as often happens in regular houseshares. Another advantage is that, if something goes wrong in the house, you can be quite certain of it being addressed quickly, with the owner living right there.

The lodger may well have factored these things into her decision to move in with you. If I were her, I'd be annoyed, too, that the living situation wasn't going to be as advertised.

Is this a general thing, these days that lodgers aren't allowed to use the living room?

I definitely think since the era of larger mortgages, you have people that want financial help with their mortgage but literally begrudge every millisecond the lodger spends in the property.

I don't have any mortgages to pay.
    The lodger can choose to pay 300 euro more and go to live with my neighbour where she can use the living room. The place is available she can move there at any time

I don't have any mortgages to pay.
    The lodger can choose to pay 300 euro more and go to live with my neighbour where she can use the living room. The place is available she can move there at any time

QED

There are many disadvantages to living with an owner-occupier, but one advantage would be the fact that you have stability in who you're sharing with - you can be quite sure that the person you're sharing with won't move out and move someone else in, as often happens in regular houseshares. Another advantage is that, if something goes wrong in the house, you can be quite certain of it being addressed quickly, with the owner living right there.

The lodger may well have factored these things into her decision to move in with you. If I were her, I'd be annoyed, too, that the living situation wasn't going to be as advertised.

the lodger just thought she will stay in my place for four months by herself and pay just for a room. She was happy not having the landlord living with her, for sure she was not thinking about things go wrong in the house

• Advertisement

QED

I wonder why when I say I don't have any mortgage to pay people get so envy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

From citizens information website:

Rooms that are not self-contained
    If the part of your home that you rent out is not self-contained, you are not covered by landlord and tenant legislation, so the rights and obligations under that legislation do not apply to you. For example, you are not obliged to register as a landlord with the RTB, provide a rent book to the tenant or ensure that the accommodation provided meets any minimum physical standards.

This also means that private tenants living in your home are living under a licensee agreement, not a tenancy agreement, and are really only entitled to reasonable notice if you choose to terminate the agreement. Tenants are, however, entitled to refer disputes under the Small Claims Procedure.

people get so envy

Yeah, I'm green with envy.

I want an extra couple of 100 quid a month so bad, i'd turn my home into a kitchen sink drama.

From citizens information website:

Rooms that are not self-contained
    If the part of your home that you rent out is not self-contained, you are not covered by landlord and tenant legislation, so the rights and obligations under that legislation do not apply to you. For example, you are not obliged to register as a landlord with the RTB, provide a rent book to the tenant or ensure that the accommodation provided meets any minimum physical standards.

This also means that private tenants living in your home are living under a licensee agreement, not a tenancy agreement, and are really only entitled to reasonable notice if you choose to terminate the agreement. Tenants are, however, entitled to refer disputes under the Small Claims Procedure.

I knew that, but unfortunately my lodger didn't. She behaved like a tenant and treated me like her housemate

Yeah, I'm green with envy.

I want an extra couple of 100 quid a month so bad, i'd turn my home into a kitchen sink drama.

yes I really think you need them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

the lodger just thought she will stay in my place for four months by herself and pay just for a room. She was happy not having the landlord living with her, for sure she was not thinking about things go wrong in the house

I've been in this position myself, on both sides of it.

In one case, I was renting a bedroom in an apartment with an owner-occupier who ended up getting a job abroad for several months. So I continued to pay the rent for the bedroom, while having the use of the entire apartment (excluding her bedroom, obviously!) I would not have been one bit impressed if she'd decided to move a friend in; I took the room in the apartment partly on the basis that I'd met her and we were compatible.

In the other case, I sub-let a bedroom in a house that I was renting, however I ended up moving out for several months for personal reasons. Again in this instance, the sub-tenant continued to pay me the rent for only one bedroom even though he essentially had the whole house to himself, and I'd never have even considered moving a stranger into my bedroom without discussing it with him first.

Who's going to take responsibility for things like putting the bins out when you're gone ... what happens if your friend and the lodger disagree over things like the cleaning of shared areas? You're inconveniencing the lodger and changing the terms of the original agreement; it's resolvable with communication but she's fully within her rights to be put out by this; you're the one introducing these (major) changes, not her.

I've been in this position myself, on both sides of it.

In one case, I was renting a bedroom in an apartment with an owner-occupier who ended up getting a job abroad for several months. So I continued to pay the rent for the bedroom, while having the use of the entire apartment (excluding her bedroom, obviously!) I would not have been one bit impressed if she'd decided to move a friend in; I took the room in the apartment partly on the basis that I'd met her and we were compatible.

In the other case, I sub-let a bedroom in a house that I was renting, however I ended up moving out for several months for personal reasons. Again in this instance, the sub-tenant continued to pay me the rent for only one bedroom even though he essentially had the whole house to himself, and I'd never have even considered moving a stranger into my bedroom without discussing it with him first.

Who's going to take responsibility for things like putting the bins out when you're gone ... what happens if your friend and the lodger disagree over things like the cleaning of shared areas? You're inconveniencing the lodger and changing the terms of the original agreement; it's resolvable with communication but she's fully within her rights to be put out by this; you're the one introducing these (major) changes, not her.

you haven't been in both side, in the first case you were a lodger and in the second case you were just a tenant

. I would check with Threshold though to be sure.

I'd check with a stray dog and get a more accurate answer than with threashold.

The ops licensee we had zero rights absolutely none (except the right to move out if they wish) regardless of what the op decides to do with his/her house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I don't agree with the way the op is dealing with his lodger but legally lodgers have almost no rights. I've been one and I think the notice period on my contract was two weeks and if I remember correctly I don't think she had to give me that much.

Lodgers aren't covered by landlord tenant legislation in Ireland.

Before people advise in this situation they should familiarise themselves in the difference between a lodger/licensee and a tenant.

• Advertisement

Not shared accommodation. The lodger met the landlord/landlady in what was presented as the landlord/landlady's primary residence. The understanding is that there would be consistency as to would be living there. That consistency is gone. The lodger is right to be annoyed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement