Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

lodger and access to living room

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

737max wrote: »
    Not shared accommodation. The lodger met the landlord/landlady in what was presented as the landlord/landlady's primary residence. The understanding is that there would be consistency as to would be living there. That consistency is gone. The lodger is right to be annoyed.

if the lodger is annoyed she can leave, there are plenty of rooms available in my area, if she wants she could move tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

I direct you back to your first post. "Will be reasonable to lock part of my house and deny the access to the lodger when I am not around?"
    Do you deny that you now wish to unilaterally alter the terms under which the lodger enjoyed the use of the residence for which a monthly fee was charged?

Getting back to your first post; Is the point of this just to complain to what you hoped would be sympathetic ears about a lodger who is rightly unhappy that you expect her to meekly accept your new terms which are less favourable to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Wait I'm confused (and sorry OP if I'm derailing your post) - is there a difference between a licensee and a lodger? If the OP lives there and rents out a room, doesn't that mean the licensee/lodger has zero say in what the OP does in their own home?

I direct you back to your first post. "Will be reasonable to lock part of my house and deny the access to the lodger when I am not around?"
    Do you deny that you now wish to unilaterally alter the terms under which the lodger enjoyed the use of the residence for which a monthly fee was charged?

Getting back to your first post; Is the point of this just to complain to what you hoped would be sympathetic ears about a lodger who is rightly unhappy that you expect her to meekly accept your new terms which are less favourable to her?

the current lodger will soon leave and not for the fact of the living room ( that has not be locked) but for the fact that she wanted to be by herself and didn't welcome my friend. Things didn't work out so no point spending more energy and time in this and we both better move on, we didn't sing any contract after all. Several members told me that it is reasonable to rent just the room and give access to the kitchen. I just have to make this clear at the beginning. I will inform the next lodger about this before he moves in. I have learnt something and I am sure my current lodger learnt something too, if she want to be by herself she better rent a whole apartment.

rawn wrote: »
    Wait I'm confused (and sorry OP if I'm derailing your post) - is there a difference between a licensee and a lodger? If the OP lives there and rents out a room, doesn't that mean the licensee/lodger has zero say in what the OP does in their own home?

there is no difference between a licensee and lodger, yes the licensee have very little rights

• Advertisement

the current lodger will soon leave and not for the fact of the living room ( that has not be locked) but for the fact that she wanted to be by herself and didn't welcome my friend. Things didn't work out so no point spending more energy and time in this and we both better move on, we didn't sing any contract after all. Several members told me that it is reasonable to rent just the room and give access to the kitchen. I just have to make this clear at the beginning. I will inform the next lodger about this before he moves in. I have learnt something and I am sure my current lodger learnt something too, if she want to be by herself she better rent a whole apartment.
    To be fair to them you'd had better tell them the limits of your hospitality well before any agreement is made rather than ambushing them with this little nugget of information on the day they are moving in.

To be fair to them you'd had better tell them the limits of your hospitality well before any agreement is made rather than ambushing them with this little nugget of information on the day they are moving in.

I meet the lodger in person just the day she moved in, she had an offer in a company near my place and she had the notice in a very short time so my place was very handy to her. She came from another city. She never mentioned to me that she was bringing several friends and boyfriend to stay here overnight. So I assume that for her was not the problem if I rent the room to my friend. If it was for me we were all having dinner and chatting together now. But if for her this is such a trauma she better leaves.
    One thing to notice is that her previous landlord didn't give her deposit back because she was subletting the room in his property through Airbnb.
    So there is a possibility that she wanted to use part of my house to make some money when I was not around.
    In both cases I really don't like her and I am looking forward her leaving

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

If there was no landlord and tenant agreement for a definite period (i.e. 12 months) then the lodger was on a day to day, week to week or month to month arrangement - anyone who thinks otherwise...consult judge Judy - basic law principles are no different really across many jurisdictions - and anyone who says it is unfair to ask the lodger to leave is ignoring the fact that when the risk changes (as in insurance) the premium rises or the policy is cancelled i.e where there is an undisclosed material fact of previous "conduct".
    Time now to put thread to sleep - I think??? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

737max wrote:
    Not shared accommodation. The lodger met the landlord/landlady in what was presented as the landlord/landlady's primary residence. The understanding is that there would be consistency as to would be living there. That consistency is gone. The lodger is right to be annoyed.

I meet the lodger in person just the day she moved in, she had an offer in a company near my place and she had the notice in a very short time so my place was very handy to her. She came from another city. She never mentioned to me that she was bringing several friends and boyfriend to stay here overnight. So I assume that for her was not the problem if I rent the room to my friend. If it was for me we were all having dinner and chatting together now. But if for her this is such a trauma she better leaves. One thing to notice is that her previous landlord didn't give her deposit back because she was subletting the room in his property through Airbnb. So there is a possibility that she wanted to use part of my house to make some money when I was not around. In both cases I really don't like her and I am looking forward her leaving

Lucky escape for you, get rid the sooner the better

In both cases I really don't like her and I am looking forward her leaving
    ...but you do like the money. I don't think you are suited to sharing your home with other people. Nothing wrong with that. I don't like sharing either but I'm happy to forgo the income.

• Advertisement

One thing to notice is that her previous landlord didn't give her deposit back because she was subletting the room in his property through Airbnb.
    Why don't you accuse her of planning to run a brothel in your absence too while you are it. You chose to think the worst. We have no reason to believe that she was either going to run AirBnB or a Brothel from the property. I can believe nothing you are saying. You don't have a problem as such to complain about. You had a lodger. It doesn't suit you or her to continue the arrangement. Bring it to an end and close this stupid thread. I have no sympathy for you. You want your cake and to eat it too.

...but you do like the money. I don't think you are suited to sharing your home with other people. Nothing wrong with that. I don't like sharing either but I'm happy to forgo the income.

I decided to rent part of my house because years ago I developed muscle dystrophy and I lost a child. The house is so empty, my partner works all day and since I can't go out so much my social life is nearly to zero. Having a lodger gives me a chance to have some company and chat sometimes. I had very good time with previous lodgers, they were nice people. Of course I don't give the room for free just because I need company, I am not that desperate, lol. It seems that you think to be able to judge a person without knowing her situation, nothing wrong with that either, tons of people behave like that

Why don't you accuse her of planning to run a brothel in your absence too while you are it. You chose to think the worst. We have no reason to believe that she was either going to run AirBnB or a Brothel from the property. I can believe nothing you are saying. You don't have a problem as such to complain about. You had a lodger. It doesn't suit you or her to continue the arrangement. Bring it to an end and close this stupid thread. I have no sympathy for you. You want your cake and to eat it too.

I know she was running an Airbnb because the lodger told me so. I know,it is not clever thing to say to me, but in her mind I am her housemate, not her landlord

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: 737max do not post on this thread again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

That's the problem with this air b&b rubbish. Too many wannabe landlords who are looking for the quick buck and not respecting a human beings right to have feelings.

They are paying you op. If you didn't like what she did in her last place you wouldn't have rented this her.

I'm not calling you a liar but........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Hibrasil wrote:
    If there was no landlord and tenant agreement for a definite period (i.e. 12 months) then the lodger was on a day to day, week to week or month to month arrangement - anyone who thinks otherwise...consult judge Judy - basic law principles are no different really across many jurisdictions - and anyone who says it is unfair to ask the lodger to leave is ignoring the fact that when the risk changes (as in insurance) the premium rises or the policy is cancelled i.e where there is an undisclosed material fact of previous "conduct". Time now to put thread to sleep - I think???

Your wrong and watch way too much judge Judy. American law has no basis here.

Try consulting threshold. An actual resource

Mr.H wrote: »
    That's the problem with this air b&b rubbish. Too many wannabe landlords who are looking for the quick buck and not respecting a human beings right to have feelings.

They are paying you op. If you didn't like what she did in her last place you wouldn't have rented this her.

I'm not calling you a liar but........

the lodger told me the previous landlord didn't pay back the deposit because she was running an airbnb. She was running the aribnb as a matter of fact I helped her to fill the form for pay her taxes. She told me this after several weeks she was living here, I am too nice and too friendly and she opened up, but this of course, this went against her

If you are suggesting the room renter has rights then you would be extremely wrong. As useless and underhand as threashold are even they don't try to claim a licensee has rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

Nope, you are wrong, the OPs lodger has no rights, they can be told to go whenever the OP wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭SwimFin

Another helpful resource is Citizens Information.

Renting a room

Renting out a room in your home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭direstraits

Could be wrong but I would imagine she had already plans to rent a room out for the 4 months you away and now, well, those plans are out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Anyway, regardless of her plans, it's better she leaves. As someone who used to house share, there was nothing worse than living in the same place as someone I didn't like. It's meant to be your home and if you can't relax in it, what's the point? Part of the enjoyment of having your own place is that you can control who comes in through the door. A lot of that has already gone out the window with this woman and I can only imagine what she had in mind for when you were gone. You're well rid.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Hibrasil

Graham wrote: »
    Mod Note: 737max do not post on this thread again.

Time somebody said it. Well done Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Firbolg

I wonder why when I say I don't have any mortgage to pay people get so envy

Because folk are forming the impression you're being greedy and greed is one of the most unattractive qualities in a human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 iodd7

Sounds like a better situation for you without this lodger

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note: OP you have been given a fairly wide range of opinions and as you appear to have decided on the approach you are taking I'm going to close the thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement