Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef: The Professionals 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

It was obvious from miles out that Craig was going to win it, not just in this episode but weeks ago. The lad can cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I wanted Louisa to win, but that meal from Craig was a cut above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Louisa and Craig are so young too, that was so nice what Marcus said to Louisa

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Greybottle

Deserved winner. Totally consistent all through the series and at the end of the day that's what counts.

Even if Stevens' lamb and egg had been cooked correctly Craig would have won it.

Well done and best of luck to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Poochie05

AnneFrank wrote: »
    Louisa and Craig are so young too, that was so nice what Marcus said to Louisa

I missed what he said, what was it, something about his daughter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

In any other season Louisa would have won. This guy Craig was producing 2 star meals in the last few weeks.

I think she would work better in a real restaurant though. Stephen too. Liked them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I missed what he said, what was it, something about his daughter?

Yes he said if his daughter ended up half the young woman she is, he'd be a very proud dad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Louisa certainly went down swinging.

I found Stephens starter to be really strange. Only his pudding was really good.

They won't be in their current jobs for long I'd say.

Happy Xmas to all on here. Please don't fall asleep with the Turkey on.

Yes he said if his daughter ended up half the young woman she is, he'd be a very proud dad

I thought that was a really strange thing to say. More odd than strange really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Greybottle wrote: »
    I thought that was a really strange thing to say. More odd than strange really.

Why?

• Advertisement

ArthurG wrote: »
    Why?

Why would measure your own daughter against someone who came onto a reality TV programme that you're on. I mean how is his daughter supposed to feel when the bar has been set as being half as good as somebody else.

Maybe I have to watch it again, but it came across as an odd thing to say about your daughter on national TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Greybottle wrote: »
    Why would measure your own daughter against someone who came onto a reality TV programme that you're on. I mean how is his daughter supposed to feel when the bar has been set as being half as good as somebody else.

Maybe I have to watch it again, but it came across as an odd thing to say about your daughter on national TV.

Christ. It’s a pretty normal compliment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Eyepatch

Wow! What an emotional roller coaster it was watching that! All three were my favorites from way back, with Louisa having the slight edge because she is so dfferent. Now there's a real CELEB - in the making!

Noticed in the intro, that Louise had that pulled back tight hair style from a very young age. It's a sad fact of life that people who are "different" generally get bullied especially starting in school, but it has made her a much stronger and determined person.

Craig was a worthy winner. The way he was smiling during the judges responses, appeared to me that he knew already that he had it in the bag.

Poor Stephen! His lamb let him down. His starter, IMO, did not look good - far too much food on the plate and did not look appetizing.

What have I taken from this? Obviously I can't hope to compete with professional chefs of that standard. But I will be mindful of a few things for the future - freshness on the plate, a variety of textures and a plate that looks attractive and appetizing. Pickled radishes and beetroots are somthing that can add a lot to a plate from the point of view of taste and colorful presentation. I don't know if I'm going to start cooking sweetbreads - maybe some liver, which I quite like.

Christ. It’s a pretty normal compliment.
    Maybe his daughter is that bit younger, so it is a standard that she can aim towards. It's just a father complimenting Louisa and at the same time letting his daughter know that he has high aspirations for her. I don't see anything wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Eyepatch wrote: »
    Maybe his daughter is that bit younger, so it is a standard that she can aim towards. It's just a father complimenting Louisa and at the same time letting his daughter know that he has high aspirations for her. I don't see anything wrong with that.

But he didn't say anything to Craig or Steven. He has 2 sons as well as a daughter.

Dovies wrote: »
    But he didn't say anything to Craig or Steven. He has 2 sons as well as a daughter.
    Ah Gawd! Dovies! I think you are nit-picking now. I imagine he was partly motivated to console Louisa for not winning, considering she was so good. There must have been very little between her and Craig. I think I heard Marcus remark that had it been some other years, Louisa would have won. Gregg had remarked that this year was the highest standard they've had as far back as he could remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Maybe Marcus wants his daughter to cook as well and hopes she turns out like Louisa ?

Either way it's a nice compliment.

Also, thinking back, Louisa, in her VT, did mention that 'cheffing' was mostly considered to be a male domain and that she wanted to proove that to be an untrue stereotype. That could have been behind Marcus' thinking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

It was obvious from miles out that Craig was going to win it, not just in this episode but weeks ago. The lad can cook.

I don't know about that now. I mean the chef that received almost universal praise all the way through was Matt and suddenly he was gone in the semi-finals. But up to that point I don't think he received even one word of criticism from the judges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I would love if they didn't edit out the reactions when they choose the winner

As in, I'd love to hear what is said between the losers and the judges and what is said between the winners and the judges and even the two losers to each other.

It all ends so quickly and I feel cheated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Was out Christmas shopping (aka drinking gin) last night, so only getting around to watching the final now.....

After seeing the biogs, I can't decide who I want to win! Except that Louisa still just gives me goosebumps with her attitude and determination. But Craig is brilliant, and Steven is just lovely......

Can hardly bear to watch :o

So I've asked this about a hundred times, and am still none the wiser.....

They all cook their three courses to the same deadline, and I presume they're all gone cold by the time judging happens (certainly in the case of the last one being judged).

So can they just not do souffles, icecreams, and other time-dependent dishes for their final round? Craig's granita has just been spooned onto their desserts, and it's awfully fresh and steamy-looking (haven't seen the other final dishes yet).

Or do they all cook to different deadlines, and it's all just edited down to look like they all finished together?

And even within one person's three-course menu, how do they prevent sauces going all gloopy and developing a skin, and frozen stuff melting?

I want to know!!!

Right, back to the judging.....

Awww, Craig nearly in tears!

And Louisa is always so positive and supportive when others do well :)

That's a humongous starter served up by Steven :eek:

Oh man, that lamb gravy on Steven's main!!!!!!!!!

Utterly gutted for him that the lamb wasn't done properly.

You wouldn't need to eat for a week after his menu :eek:

Jeepers, unless Louisa completely ****s up her dessert, how on earth are they going to choose between her and Craig??? :confused:

Craig has to have shaved it.... surely......

Could they have a draw???

Joint winners again?
    Oooh, has this happened before? Although it was clear(ish) that Craig had it by the end.
    ebbsy wrote: »
    Louisa certainly went down swinging.

I found Stephens starter to be really strange. Only his pudding was really good.

They won't be in their current jobs for long I'd say.

Happy Xmas to all on here. Please don't fall asleep with the Turkey on.

:D

What a fabulous series - I have to say I really enjoyed it all.

I'll be trying to remember those names to see if I hear them in the future (particularly Louisa!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭embraer170

Just finished the series this evening. I was sad to see Matt go and not make it to the final. I guess Louisa's performance at the chef's table is one of the things that lost it for her.
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    So I've asked this about a hundred times, and am still none the wiser.....

They all cook their three courses to the same deadline, and I presume they're all gone cold by the time judging happens (certainly in the case of the last one being judged).

So can they just not do souffles, icecreams, and other time-dependent dishes for their final round? Craig's granita has just been spooned onto their desserts, and it's awfully fresh and steamy-looking (haven't seen the other final dishes yet).

Or do they all cook to different deadlines, and it's all just edited down to look like they all finished together?

And even within one person's three-course menu, how do they prevent sauces going all gloopy and developing a skin, and frozen stuff melting?

I want to know!!!

Right, back to the judging.....

I heard that the judges do the most the tasting during the cooking (this is never seen). The initial completed dish video work is done right after the time runs out, but the dishes are then refrigerated until the final judging. In the early stages of the competition, it can be a few hours until the last chef gets judged.

The final judging is done cold but the judges take account of the tasting during the cooking.

Of course these are all rumours because anyone near a Masterchef studio has to sign a comprehensive NDA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Matt died running the London Marathon yesterday

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-cumbria-43864835

Advertisement