Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guest Visit Traditions in Ireland

Options
  • 05-11-2017 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hopefully I found a right thread. I couldn't google anything on this topic so I thought I'd try Ireland forum.

I want to ask about traditions in Ireland when it comes to visits. I am from Slovakia and everytime you'd visit someone you don't know, you should come with some kind of a gift. Usually a drink or chocolate bonbons or some other fancy-packed snacks. Also if you know they have kids, you usually bring some toys or sweets to them separately.

Do you do this in here as well? I feel like it is international thing but you never know.
    I'm going to visit a family with my boyfriend to see a dog we would like to adopt. I think it would be sweet to bring some treats or a toy for a dog but I feel like I should bring something for the family as well.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

It's always nice to bring a small, appropriate gift if visiting occasionally. Regular visitors don't usually - unless you've just baked a fresh batch of scones or some such and bring a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Failoore

What would "a small, appropriate gift" be if I could ask?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Failoore wrote: »
    A few sweets, if there are children. A small bunch of flowers. It depends on the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you staying with the family? If not, don't worry too much. It depends on the circumstances, if it is a 'business' visit - to adopt the dog - then you would not be expected to take anything. If there is a social aspect - if they have invited you to a meal for example, then a small gift would be suitable, along the lines of what you have suggested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Failoore wrote: »

Prescription drugs that you can't get over the counter e.g. Xanax, sleeping pills etc. Everyone likes a few for the medicine cabinet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Prescription drugs that you can't get over the counter e.g. Xanax, sleeping pills etc. Everyone likes a few for the medicine cabinet.

It is acceptable for someone who works with a drug company to bring some rejected stock or whatever.

Likewise say if you work with the butchers you can bring just about to go off stuff etc. (or at least it used to be)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

Packet of biscuits from a petrol station.

Car wash token if its Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

For a "business" visit, to view something for sale - nothing: not social. (Sweeties for children usually ok, though.)

If a social visit for tea, etc - a pot of home-made jam, something from your garden, a box of chocolates or some wine if the evening - all are grand.

I remember hearing from an old gentleman, years ago - "You should never turn up anywhere with one hand as long as the other" LOL - he used often to give random gifts like photographs or an old book that he thought you might like. Courtly style.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Vita nova

I like to get a bottle of wine but I'm not drinking any f**king Merlot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

A big bag of charlie, no snow no show

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

If visiting the Ambassador, he seems to prefer Ferrero Rocher for any of his receptions.
    Ideally stacked in an impossible pyramid shaped formation structure, upon a polished silver plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Failoore

I don't get why so many of you are making fun of this. I mean the jokes are fun but they get old so quickly. Or is it just that you don't know traditions in your own country?
    Thank you Day Lewin, looksee and Srameen, it seems like I shouldn't bring anything as I don't know the family and it's more business related.

Advertisement