Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats the best television package out there

• 05-11-2017 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Thinking of canceling Sky. Need to find some alternatives.

We enjoy Documentaries from Discovery, History and National Geo, some drama from general entertainment, music and the kids channels (for the little ones). Is there anything out there that has similar offerings?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Get a retentions deal from sky. They've got the best channel lineup of the legal services.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 paperandink

Certainly something I will be trying. The close to 100euro/month for broadband (and it's not fibre) and the sky package with the extra entertainment pack is a little bit much....

Just considering the alternative's really.

The main channels we use are cartoonito, Now 80's, Vintage TV, Channel 4, E4, BBC, MTV and the discovery packages. Vodafone seems to have many of these, but some are missing :(

Are you using sky for the broadband/phone?

Using them for Broadband (and TV)... Can't get fibre even though my next door neighbour has it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

I was with sky and moved to Virginmedia. Wasn't happy with the choice of tv channels for the little ones. €55 per month for 12 months incl broadband and phone. After I signed up to VM though I signed up to Netflix. Now all we and kids watch is Netflix. We don't watch VM at all. If you can get a good broadband deal with basic or no tv and just use Netflix that would be my choice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Certainly something I will be trying. The close to 100euro/month for broadband (and it's not fibre) and the sky package with the extra entertainment pack is a little bit much....

Just considering the alternative's really.

The main channels we use are cartoonito, Now 80's, Vintage TV, Channel 4, E4, BBC, MTV and the discovery packages. Vodafone seems to have many of these, but some are missing :(
    Most of them are free to view channels. The Discovery channels are probably the toughest ones to replace. If Vodafone are missing some of the FTV channels, then just combine the two packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭JDxtra

If you're into your channels, stick with what you have but wrangle a better deal.

VM is pants for pay TV.

Personally, I don't mind sticking with FTA and Netflix. But for you Sky has the best selection of pay TV channels.

They're doing the higher Sky q package for €58.50 for new customers, I'd be trying to get that.

Can't get VM in this part of the woods.

Do use Netflix and am thinking about just going Freesat. Currently on Sky Q (since last December) but will be calling them in the next few days with a view to canceling. The VF pack has most of what I am after so will be having a proper look and seeing if Sky will do a deal to keep me for another year.

If your broadband isn't great, then the Vodafone package won't suit as its IPTV

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote: »
    If your broadband isn't great, then the Vodafone package won't suit as its IPTV

That's my big problem. But I hear that fibre will be passing my door by the middle of 2018. Might try and negotiate a better deal with Sky for the next few months and see then

ANy deal with sky will put you in contract for a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

colm_mcm wrote: »
    ANy deal with sky will put you in contract for a year.

Not necessarily, if you say you're interested in committing to a new contract they'll drop a bit more.

I'll be telling them in no uncertain terms that I'm not getting the value out of it, but am prepared to continue with the service at a reduced rate, and an option to cancel at any time if they want to retain my custom. I have been a customer for over 15 years and never paid the subscription late...

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

OP, i got 35% off when I rang to cancel a few weeks ago. Be prepared for an hour long phone call with lots of rubbish spouted your direction. Stick to your guns and keep asking to put through your cancellation, keep a cool head and eventually you get through to a second sky rep with the best customer retention deals. Good luck as it's a bloody nightmare phonecall.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭BLUEYK

Double post

Advertisement