Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tow bar - recommendations?

• 05-11-2017 9:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Where is the best place in Kerry to get a tow bar fitted to a saloon car? Mid-county suits me best but all recommendations welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

If you can handle a spanner it's very much a DIY job. The tow bar would be made specifically for the car and would come with bolts, pre-drilled holes to line up with approved fixing points on the chassis etc. The plug and wiring for the lights, if fitted, is standard and complies to usual colour codes. A simple google will get you the "tow bar wiring colour codes" and the tow bar itself should come with the necessary information either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

sogood wrote: »
    If you can handle a spanner it's very much a DIY job. The tow bar would be made specifically for the car and would come with bolts, pre-drilled holes to line up with approved fixing points on the chassis etc. The plug and wiring for the lights, if fitted, is standard and complies to usual colour codes. A simple google will get you the "tow bar wiring colour codes" and the tow bar itself should come with the necessary information either way.

Fitting a towbar in most cases and especially on modern cars with complex wiring is not a diy job really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭JonathonS

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Fitting a towbar in most cases and especially on modern cars with complex wiring is not a diy job really.

Yeah, I'm not keen on that option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    I take your point but I suppose the concept of DIY is dependant upon one's level of confidence and competence. I know some people who would employ an electrician to change a light bulb. I know other who have built their own homes. I accept that it's a case of horses for courses, but in the grand scheme of things, fitting a tow bar is mostly a "nut and bolt" job.

The generic, standard wiring colour code for the tow bar socket is available online as would be the colour code for your specific car. The correct wiring connections and the right way to make these connections would also be available online.

I suppose being comfortable and confident in taking on any job is what makes it a DIY job or not.

Any local garage or mechanic would most likely be able to do this or at least point you in the right direction.

Advertisement