Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Someone to copy all photos videos from laptop before recycling

Options
  • 05-11-2017 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi

I have an old laptop that I want to get rid of but know that it has lots of photos and videos. Is there a service or someone I could pay to put these all together on a disc or drive so I can keep safe?

From a computer illiterate person :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭DopeTech

citybaker wrote: »
    Hi

I have an old laptop that I want to get rid of but know that it has lots of photos and videos. Is there a service or someone I could pay to put these all together on a disc or drive so I can keep safe?

Buy a usb stick and I will do it for you remotely. It's really easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

I'm assuming there's something wrong with the laptop or it's not booting up.

You can remove the hard drive from the laptop, stick it in to a caddy (that converts it to a usb drive) and copy the files to another PC.

Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELUTENG-External-Enclosure-USB3-0-Adapter-Clear/dp/B06XC9DKCF/ref=sr_1_7?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1509912886&sr=1-7&keywords=2.5+inch+hard+drive+enclosure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭LeakingLava

If anywhere near me, I would gladly help out for nothing. Provided that you have the USB/HDD to transfer files into. If broken, get the caddy ^^ from Currys or something for €13 or something like that if you can't wait, and I'll still do the job for you. If planning on replacing HDD, I can clone the drive for you and put it back into the same laptop so you can get it running again :)

EDIT: My bad, €15. http://www.currys.ie/Product/dynamode-25-usb-30-sata-hard-drive-enclosure/338007/400.4.0

• Registered Users Posts: 13 citybaker

Thank you so much, it was working last time I checked but slow. I will double check as it has been awhile since I have used it.

Thank you so much, it was working last time I checked but slow. I will double check as it has been awhile since I have used it.

If it is retardly slow, you may benefit from buying one of the caddies posted here anyway and keep the hard drive as an external HDD. However, I would still suggest to get a similar size USB/ext HDD to backup everything in the original drive. If the laptop is in a bad state, I would assume that it has aged by now and the HDD may give in at any point in time so it would be better to have a backup of these files if they're important to you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

How old? check the specs and see is it a SATA or IDE drive before you go buying a caddy

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    How old? check the specs and see is it a SATA or IDE drive before you go buying a caddy

Good point. As far as I know the one in Currys has the both connections and you can just change them over for whichever one you need. Not that I'm affiliated with Currys or anything, I've just bought one before, just can't remember very clearly. I think they have two types of 2.5" enclosures so best check to get USB3.0 if you opt for their product. Of course you can buy a specific one with the specific adapter cheaper elsewhere so go for that if that's the option you choose. :)

Also, if IDE you'd need a separate power supply. Copy to USB stick is the easiest option.

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    Also, if IDE you'd need a separate power supply. Copy to USB stick is the easiest option.

I thought 2.5 IDE didn't need external power supply? The caddy just comes with 2 USB plugs to power it? I guess one USB to just power it and the other for data. Yeah, USB would be easiest, too, in my opinion. Just consider cost depending on size desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi

At least tell those who might help what general area you are in ;)

• Advertisement

I thought 2.5 IDE didn't need external power supply? The caddy just comes with 2 USB plugs to power it? I guess one USB to just power it and the other for data. Yeah, USB would be easiest, too, in my opinion. Just consider cost depending on size desired.

You are right, my error!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

Pretty easy to do it yourself. Put all the videos and photos you want to keep into a new folder. After doing that right click on the folder and click properties, You should see beside "size" the amount of storage it needs. Buy a usb stick with maybe a gigabyte extra data then you need. Plug in the stick into the laptop. Click open now when it pops up. Drag your folder with the pictures into the new folder just opened on your usb stick and wait for it to finish. And your done. There is 100's of videos showing step by step how to do basically everything on computers, From simple stuff like this to much more technical stuff.

Advertisement