Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester marathon 8th April 2018

Options
  • 05-11-2017 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭

This race got a bit of a bad reputation a couple of years ago, with the short course debacle, and other issues, but apparently, last year was meant to have been very smooth. Registration is pretty smooth, about £55 I think. One thing to note, if you can supply a UK address, race pack is posted to that address. International runners have to go to the expo. Flights are not bad at the moment, but the Manchester derby is on that Saturday, so that could have a bearing.

I'll get the ball rolling with long term goals, etc. I might as well throw it out there and be aggressive, A goal would be sub3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Did this race in April as it is reputed to be one of the flattest around - true enough. Did as you are suggesting and used a UK address for registration so only came into the city, by car, on the morning of the race. Be aware traffic approaching the area was very slow and because of the proximity to Old Trafford is very regimented so be on time if using private transport.

All other aspects of race get a thumbs up, good atmosphere at the start, well marshalled, good crowds in parts, quiet in others, well organised drinks stations,
    nice finish area in cricket ground - even the right distance:P

Nice aspect was pacers at 3:59 and 3:29 ahead of the big bunches at 4:00 and 3:30. Used the 3:29 myself despite a dodgy training period on the run-in and it went well. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

I did it in 2016. The course had been corrected by then (which, to be fair, had been an error by the measurer, not the organisers) and it is indeed very flat and fast, and there is a lot of enthusiastic support from the sidelines.

The bag drop was a complete disaster that year with people waiting for up to 3 hours, apparently. Luckily I had not used the bag drop, so that issue completely bypassed me and I had walked away from the race thinking it had been exceptionally well organised!

I had to pick up my number the day before the race, which took all of 5 minutes. Not a real issue in my view.

Despite the 2 disasters of the short course and the bag drop fiasco I'd still recommend it. I don't think either is a real reflection of the quality of the organisation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I'm in aswell,have flights and hotel booked.Hoping for a p.b,seeing as all reports indicate it's flat and fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    I'm in aswell,have flights and hotel booked.Hoping for a p.b,seeing as all reports indicate it's flat and fast.

Any recommendations for hotels? Never been to Manchester, but the Metrolink is pretty good isn't it?
    I'm thinking of flying in Saturday morning, collect race number, stay somewhere close-ish to start, run, couple of pints and something to eat, fly back Sunday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I've provisionally got a room booked for Saturday to Monday. Thinking bout doing this marathon for first one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Any hotels in the city centre are close enough to the trams which on the day is the best way to get to the start, the Old Trafford cricket ground is where the bag drop is located and the tram stops right outside. From there its about 800 mtrs walk to the start. Dont expect an expo like Dublin. I was due to run Manchester last year but got sick 3 weeks before and had to pull out. Travelled over to have a look anyway as everything had been booked and paid for. The "expo" consisted of about 3 tents set up outside some offices with a number collection and a couple of stalls selling run related gear, the words "nothing to see here" came to mind. !!

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

I'm in too. Had a bad day at DCM last month so hoping I can bounce back with this one. Haven't booked flights yet but I'm staying just a few minutes walk away from the start area (The walk might take me a bit longer after the race mind you :D). Hope the course is as flat as they say it is

Bit the bullet and signed up. Will book a hotel tonight, not sure really whether to fly back Sunday or leave it until Monday.

Any recommendations for hotels? Never been to Manchester, but the Metrolink is pretty good isn't it?
    I'm thinking of flying in Saturday morning, collect race number, stay somewhere close-ish to start, run, couple of pints and something to eat, fly back Sunday evening.
    I'm staying in ibis,Portland st,it's around the corner from the trams.It came in around €140 including late checkout until 5pm Sunday.I'm also flying out sat morning from Dublin,back sun night to Shannon.Flights Friday to Sunday from Shannon were only €50 odd,last week return.I just couldn't be arsed staying the 2 nights.Anywhere in the city centre will do.I'm sure you will get cheaper.I just always stay in ibis when I go over for the utd games.

I'm staying in ibis,Portland st,it's around the corner from the trams.It came in around €140 including late checkout until 5pm Sunday.I'm also flying out sat morning from Dublin,back sun night to Shannon.Flights Friday to Sunday from Shannon were only €50 odd,last week return.I just couldn't be arsed staying the 2 nights.Anywhere in the city centre will do.I'm sure you will get cheaper.I just always stay in ibis when I go over for the utd games.

Thanks for this, just booked the same. The late checkout option is a great one (I had a booking at another hotel, but they said the latest would be 2pm).

• Advertisement

Thanks for this, just booked the same. The late checkout option is a great one (I had a booking at another hotel, but they said the latest would be 2pm).
    No worries,rooms are not the biggest,but their clean and comfortable.No doubt we will( stumble)in to each other,in the bar,for a few post marathon beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I've family out in Cheshire, probably going to get the train in and out on race day. That should allow for a couple of pints afterwards.. Talking of which.....

Krusty, Auldman King? Pubs in Trafford?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

How do you select the late checkout lads. Did ye book online.

plumber77 wrote: »
    How do you select the late checkout lads. Did ye book online.
    Yes,accorhotels.com.

Yes,accorhotels.com.

I went for the flexible rate, £10 more, which allows means you pay on arrival and can cancel without charge. Select the option to join as well to get a discount. You add the late checkout option on the next page after clicking "Book" (it's £10).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Ran this marathon April this year, getting to and from the venue no problem with plenty of trams, bag drop and collection no delays, plenty of support on the route, some bands and choirs singing along the way in the smaller suberbs.

More or less flat course, nothing too taxing hill wise , a great event which I would consider doing again.

Any of the hotels around Portland street /Piccadilly gardens have a few minute walk to a tram stop to take you to the start area.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭slowsteady

Black Friday entry special offer - £45 - code GMM1758

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

Derco wrote: »
    I'm in too. Had a bad day at DCM last month so hoping I can bounce back with this one. Haven't booked flights yet but I'm staying just a few minutes walk away from the start area (The walk might take me a bit longer after the race mind you :D). Hope the course is as flat as they say it is

Lads,
    Is there anyones UK address i can borrow, plan to head over Saturday evening, can arrange to meet-up b4 start Sunday morning.

If I'm not mistaken we're 18 weeks away now. Time to start looking those training plans

If I'm not mistaken we're 18 weeks away now. Time to start looking those training plans

Mine starts tomorrow with a rest day. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement

This being my first spring marathon I'm finding it a bit weird getting into marathon mode in the run in to Christmas

This being my first spring marathon I'm finding it a bit weird getting into marathon mode in the run in to Christmas

Prefer the spring marathons myself as I like to train and run in colder conditions. Also helps keep guilt levels low for the festive overindulgence.

plumber77 wrote: »
    Prefer the spring marathons myself as I like to train and run in colder conditions. Also helps keep guilt levels low for the festive overindulgence.

Fu**ing injured again,No running last two weeks,tried a slow 6 miler,this morning,Groin felt fine b4,but that run just made it worse.Will I ever learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Starting training this week. "Rest" day today. This is easy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

Heads up for anyone of thinking of registering. The price will be increasing at midnight tonight.

Doing the P&D 55 mile plan myself. Doubt I could cope with any more mileage than that. First time following a specific training plan.

Trying one of Hal Higdon's Advanced plans for this one

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Ok Hotel has been booked a while. Christmas training good (so far) just looking at flights going out Saturday and back Sunday is a 5.30 flight back a bit tight to have time to celebrate (I hope!) clean up and fuel up??
    The next one isn't til 22.00 but something tells me that this is a better option.... what are others doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Ok Hotel has been booked a while. Christmas training good (so far) just looking at flights going out Saturday and back Sunday is a 5.30 flight back a bit tight to have time to celebrate (I hope!) clean up and fuel up??
    The next one isn't til 22.00 but something tells me that this is a better option.... what are others doing?

Its doable alright to make the 5.30 flight, you can be from Manchester city centre to airport in 20 minutes in a taxi.

If you were planning to head straight from the finish line to the airport there is a tram stop called "Trafford bar ", 10 minute walk from the finish line which has a tram service to the airport which takes around 45 -50 minutes. Only problem here is lack of shower facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

andrew1977 wrote:
    If you were planning to head straight from the finish line to the airport there is a tram stop called "Trafford bar ", 10 minute walk from the finish line which has a tram service to the airport which takes around 45 -50 minutes. Only problem here is lack of shower facilities.

andrew1977 wrote:
    Its doable alright to make the 5.30 flight, you can be from Manchester city centre to airport in 20 minutes in a taxi.

Cheers. I booked the early flight - €58 for both :) - but might book the one way return at 10.00 too as a back up as it's only £21!
    I booked a one day gym pass in Liverpool after the marathon earlier this year for shower/sanua so will try to do that in Manchester if possible

Advertisement