Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester marathon 8th April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Need some advice here..

I needed to take about 10 days off training over the Christmas and resumed this week with a couple of easy runs on Monday and Tuesday. However I have now got a nasty dose of that flu bug that's going around which means the rest of this week is a write off and as I cough, sneeze and shiver as I type this post, my hope for next week is fading also. My question is when I get back into training, what should I do?

Modify my training plan?
    Resume where I stopped?
    Stick with the plan and resume on week 5 or 6?

Any advice would be appreciated thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

Maybe look up a 12 week plan and use that from here on in. Use the last few weeks training as a base for that. At least it will give you a progressive schedule to the big day. Better you are sick now than closer to the big day.
    **disclaimer- this is just my uneducated view**

plumber77 wrote: »
    Maybe look up a 12 week plan and use that from here on in. Use the last few weeks training as a base for that. At least it will give you a progressive schedule to the big day. Better you are sick now than closer to the big day.
    **disclaimer- this is just my uneducated view**

Thanks I should be OK to do a couple of easy runs next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Any idea the latest time you can usually collect your number on the Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Don't think the location and time are set but I'm hoping it's going to be from 9-5 on the Saturday in the City Centre
    Getting a 10.30 flight so should be lots of time :0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Any idea the latest time you can usually collect your number on the Saturday?

It was 16.00 on the Saturday last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

It was 16.00 on the Saturday last year.
    That should give us on the 10:30 flight,ample time then.What did you think of the marathon itself,is it as flat as advertised?

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    That should give us on the 10:30 flight,ample time then.What did you think of the marathon itself,is it as flat as advertised?

Never got to run it, got a dose of shingles 3 weeks before it, just went over for the weekend anyway as everything was booked and paid for. Talking to a few lads on the way back it seems to be a very fast course, only a few small humps over canal bridges etc and one long drag at around miles 13/14.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Ran it last year, very good course for a PB, few uphill climbs and drags out near Altrincham area, same as glencarraig mentions but nothing to break you as the tiredness kicks in.
    Mile 22 or so out near carrington I found tough as it’s a quiet area, practically no support to encourage you on, but then you approach back into the built up area, the people are out again roaring you on.
    Fairly flat all round , no complaints, great event .

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Ran it last year, very good course for a PB, few uphill climbs and drags out near Altrincham area, same as glencarraig mentions but nothing to break you as the tiredness kicks in.
    Mile 22 or so out near carrington I found tough as it’s a quiet area, practically no support to encourage you on, but then you approach back into the built up area, the people are out again roaring you on.
    Fairly flat all round , no complaints, great event .
    Thanks for this.During Limerick marathon,for miles on end,you mite be lucky to come across a man,walking his dog.So mile 22, would be normal for me.

• Advertisement

Never got to run it, got a dose of shingles 3 weeks before it, just went over for the weekend anyway as everything was booked and paid for. Talking to a few lads on the way back it seems to be a very fast course, only a few small humps over canal bridges etc and one long drag at around miles 13/14.
    I had it booked last year myself,but injury stopped me doing it.Did you save ur entry for this year?,or leave it be.?

I had it booked last year myself,but injury stopped me doing it.Did you save ur entry for this year?,or leave it be.?

No I just left it cause I was happy that i was getting into London on GFA next April. Will go back to Manchester sometime.

Info on number collection on the 7th ........

As stated on the entry form, we don’t post out race numbers to International entrants. Your race number and timing chip will be available for collection on Saturday 7th of April from our customer services team who will conveniently be based in Manchester City Centre.

The race pack pick-up point is located at:

FIRST STREET MANCHESTER
    Tony Wilson Place
    Manchester
    M15 4FN

The pick-up point will be open from 09:00-17:00. Please note: Saturday 7th April is the only collection slot, there will be no collection on race day.

Info on number collection on the 7th ........

As stated on the entry form, we don’t post out race numbers to International entrants. Your race number and timing chip will be available for collection on Saturday 7th of April from our customer services team who will conveniently be based in Manchester City Centre.

The race pack pick-up point is located at:

FIRST STREET MANCHESTER
    Tony Wilson Place
    Manchester
    M15 4FN

The pick-up point will be open from 09:00-17:00. Please note: Saturday 7th April is the only collection slot, there will be no collection on race day.

If it's anything like last year dont expect a big expo at the number collection venue. Just a few tents for number collection and one or two selling a few bits of running gear. You would be in and out in 5 minutes.

Perfect. More time to take in the sights and culture.
    oh wait it's Manchester....... :)

Perfect. More time to take in the sights and culture.
    oh wait it's Manchester....... :)

Spoken like a true scouser !

Spoken like a true scouser !

Lol. Your not wrong there!!
    I'm still not sure how I'll manage running by Old Trafford with my eyes closed on the day :)

I'm still not sure how I'll manage running by Old Trafford with my eyes closed on the day :)
    I will unblock ur eyes,to unveil the true beauty that old Trafford holds.😊

I will unblock ur eyes,to unveil the true beauty that old Trafford holds.😊

I was looking forward to running past Old Trafford last year in the marathon, but the route doesn’t go past the stadium concourse unfortunately, it’s on the outer roads close to it. You can see it behind you at the start line however and as you come to the stretch for home you can see the roof of the stands .

andrew1977 wrote: »
    I was looking forward to running past Old Trafford last year in the marathon, but the route doesn’t go past the stadium concourse unfortunately, it’s on the outer roads close to it. You can see it behind you at the start line however and as you come to the stretch for home you can see the roof of the stands .
    Sound Andrew.I was 100% sure it finished at old Trafford.Do not know where I got that idea from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Sound Andrew.I was 100% sure it finished at old Trafford.Do not know where I got that idea from.

Old Trafford cricket ground is the race headquarters I think

Old Trafford cricket ground is the race headquarters I think

Yip, that’s right. Starts at the cricket ground and finishes there.The gang of us last year enjoyed a post race couple of pints in the red cafe, the upstairs bar/restaurant at Manchester United. Worth heading up there to savour your achievement and have a pint.5 minutes walk from the finish line.
    Great set up, great race, good luck with the training for the weeks ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Running past OT works really well. You'll speed up significantly just to get away from that place!

Just bring a bottle...................of petrol !!!

Running past OT works really well. You'll speed up significantly just to get away from that place!

:)

There goes my 'take it easy for the first few miles' tactic anyway :D. Do we pass their training ground in Carrington as well?

Derco wrote: »
    There goes my 'take it easy for the first few miles' tactic anyway :D. Do we pass their training ground in Carrington as well?

Nope, you don't see Uniteds training ground, the race takes in the general area of Carrington (small village area), but the training ground is not on the route.
    I didn't see it last year when running it, I had my eyes peeled for it (could have missed it as the body and mind was flagging big time at that point ).
    Its the quietest part of the marathon, out in the rural district, not many supporters on the route there .

No, but you DO pass Bury's training ground, which used to be Man City's training ground :D

http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/files/3415/1739/1507/Manchester_Marathon_2018_v5.pdf

This year's route is up on the website. Any changes from the usual?

• Advertisement

http://www.greatermanchestermarathon.com/files/3415/1739/1507/Manchester_Marathon_2018_v5.pdf

This year's route is up on the website. Any changes from the usual?

The start has moved since I ran it in 2015 and subsequently the first 3 miles are different and there are some minor changes around mile 7 but for most of it it's the same course and the overall feel of the course is exactly the same.

Advertisement