Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester marathon 8th April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭plumber77

So what kind of times are people aiming for. Hoping for in around 3.10 myself which leaves me in a pacer no man's land.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

plumber77 wrote: »
    So what kind of times are people aiming for. Hoping for in around 3.10 myself which leaves me in a pacer no man's land.

I don't know really. I'll only have 12 proper weeks of training done beforehand - assuming I don't get injured so I'm not sure if I'll enough miles in the legs. Having said that the flatter course should be a factor. The only other marathon I have done is DCM (4 times). I guess I'll be happy with a PB which is 4:15

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Gijima

Any idea when they post entries to local addresses?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I’m hoping for sub3 still. Training has been good, mileage not massive, but a fair bit of quality. I haven’t gone under 3 since 2014, but think I’m on course. I’ve a bit of pain in my shin at the moment, hopefully that won’t put a spanner in the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭nobody told me

I'm entered in this and going for sub3 as well, be good if we could get a group working together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

I've entered too. It's my first marathon so I will be happy if the training goes well, I make the start line, and even happier to reach the finish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

What halfs are people doing as part of their training plans?
    I'm signed up for Bohermeen on the 11/03 knowing this is a bit near to Manchester to race it.....
    Having second thoughts on racing this and might try to get to Carlingford Half the week before.
    Any advice or previous experience?
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

What halfs are people doing as part of their training plans?
    I'm signed up for Bohermeen on the 11/03 knowing this is a bit near to Manchester to race it.....
    Having second thoughts on racing this and might try to get to Carlingford Half the week before.
    Any advice or previous experience?
    Cheers

There's a half on this weekend which I hope to do. http://www.niduathlon.com/races.html

I had hoped to do Bohermeen as well but I couldn't commit and it's now sold out.

There is also the Duhallow AC Newmarket 10 miler on 4th March as another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jnk883

I had big plans for this. Flights booked a long time, race signed up for and then I picked up hamstring injury. Last 4 weeks have been next to no mileage. Supposed to be doing half in Brighton this weekend coming. I'll still go since there is a group of us and will possibly jog around but my dream of doing Manchester is over. No use going over there to struggle. Can still cancel hotel, will just lose out on race fee and flights. Need to see what to do next. Cork is possibility otherwise I'll leave it until after the summer and look at Dublin

Begs wrote: »
    There's a half on this weekend which I hope to do. http://www.niduathlon.com/races.html

I had hoped to do Bohermeen as well but I couldn't commit and it's now sold out.

There is also the Duhallow AC Newmarket 10 miler on 4th March as another option.

10 miler in Kilsheelan on the 11th March as well. Might be another option.

• Advertisement

jnk883 wrote: »
    I had big plans for this. Flights booked a long time, race signed up for and then I picked up hamstring injury. Last 4 weeks have been next to no mileage. Supposed to be doing half in Brighton this weekend coming. I'll still go since there is a group of us and will possibly jog around but my dream of doing Manchester is over. No use going over there to struggle. Can still cancel hotel, will just lose out on race fee and flights. Need to see what to do next. Cork is possibility otherwise I'll leave it until after the summer and look at Dublin

That's a dose in fairness. Limericks might be another option. I wouldn't cancel anything until you do the half and see how you feel. Was it a bad tear grade wise.

That's a dose in fairness. Limericks might be another option. I wouldn't cancel anything until you do the half and see how you feel. Was it a bad tear grade wise.
    It was grade 1 so the best of a worst situation. Training was going well but doing a park run on a cold day was a silly idea. I have up to the day before to cancel hotel but I'd be a mad man to think I'd go over there and get through it in one piece. I was hoping for 3:30 but my mileage for January was 60k and at 50k for this month so far. I might be pushing it a little to do 42k in one go :-)

It was grade 1 so the best of a worst situation. Training was going well but doing a park run on a cold day was a silly idea. I have up to the day before to cancel hotel but I'd be a mad man to think I'd go over there and get through it in one piece. I was hoping for 3:30 but my mileage for January was 60k and at 50k for this month so far. I might be pushing it a little to do 42k in one go :-)

It's very much dependent on the individual in that case. The hamstring should be fine but the lack of mileage might let you down. I'd try the half and see how that goes first.

jnk883 wrote:

Sorry to hear that jnk.
    If you don't get over maybe Limerick in early May might be an option?

Sorry to hear that jnk.
    If you don't get over maybe Limerick in early May might be an option?
    Ya, it will be Limerick, Cork or push out until Dublin. Its very hard to try to get going again to do a large block. I'd like to keep early summer months for short races and build back up. Manchester fell perfectly.

I made it around the half in Brighton in 1:41 (did 1:28 in Waterford in December). My pace was steady right the way through and not much between my fastest and slowest split. To think about turning around and doing it all again though would be a huge challenge. Legs are tight today but I'd say it will be Wednesday before I really know how I feel (is it tightness or pain). I'll continue to try and build up the mileage and see how I go. Can't even remember what my plan saves for next weekend. Thinking I'll try 15.

I made it around the half in Brighton in 1:41 (did 1:28 in Waterford in December). My pace was steady right the way through and not much between my fastest and slowest split. To think about turning around and doing it all again though would be a huge challenge. Legs are tight today but I'd say it will be Wednesday before I really know how I feel (is it tightness or pain). I'll continue to try and build up the mileage and see how I go. Can't even remember what my plan saves for next weekend. Thinking I'll try 15.

Definitely going to be a bit tight and fatigued after that run; especially after been off for a while. I focus on some recovery runs and stretching in the early part of the week and then start building up towards the weekend long run.

How is training going for everyone? I managed to get in a 15 mile run at the weekend. I may get to 16 mile this weekend and 18 the weekend after and thats where where I'll stop with increasing. There is hope I'll get to the start line but the last 6 miles will be tough but the long term goal will be Dublin and Manchester will be about finishing.

How is training going for everyone? I managed to get in a 15 mile run at the weekend. I may get to 16 mile this weekend and 18 the weekend after and thats where where I'll stop with increasing. There is hope I'll get to the start line but the last 6 miles will be tough but the long term goal will be Dublin and Manchester will be about finishing.

Training good alright. In the middle of some big mileage weeks so feeling a bit sluggish. Haven't had the chance to get a 10 miler or half marathon in which is disappointing. Don't really know where I am speed wise.

plumber77 wrote:
    Training good alright. In the middle of some big mileage weeks so feeling a bit sluggish. Haven't had the chance to get a 10 miler or half marathon in which is disappointing. Don't really know where I am speed wise.

I'm the same. Last long run next week with a Half this weekend that I'll use as a training run. But again guessing where I am for marathon pace.
    I guess that's a con if doing an early marathon!
    But feck it training gone well so far with taper coming up soon so best keep confident, hope it's as flat as they say, keep to the target pace give it a crack.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Same here. Training is going ok, but I missed the long run on Sunday with the snow.
    Bohermeen this Sunday. I was planning to run at MP, but I might get there early, run 7 miles easy before, then 3 easy and 10 steady in the race. Last long run next weekend then Meno's sting in the tail 14 mile marathon pace run the following Wednesday.
    Looking forward to it now, but not sure if I've put enough work in really.

Did a 20 miler last Sunday in the snow - Holy Jaysus it was a slog. Remind me never to do that again :) I'm going to build up to another 20 miler in 3 weeks and then a 2 week taper. Haven't done any warm up races either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Training is going fine,I missed a full week,last week,due to life,getting in the way.Bounced back this week, with my biggest mileage ever.Did 23 miles Friday.Next Sunday then,is the real test,20 miles with 16 at MP.Hopefully I nail that,and roll on Manchester.

Well lads.How is everyone doing.Started my taper yesterday,thanks be to god.No major niggles.Looking forward to it now.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Well lads.How is everyone doing.Started my taper yesterday,thanks be to god.No major niggles.Looking forward to it now.

Was going great up until last week. Bit of a hamstring issue since Tralee half. Will probably have to steer clear of any speed work between now and the big day. Threatened to cramp a few times during my 16 miler today. Bit of tlc for the next 2 weeks.

Put my back out in the garden this morning :( Need to take it easy now

Was going great up until last week. Bit of a hamstring issue since Tralee half. Will probably have to steer clear of any speed work between now and the big day. Threatened to cramp a few times during my 16 miler today. Bit of tlc for the next 2 weeks.
    No point doing anything fast with 2 weeks left.Best of luck.

Derco wrote: »
    Put my back out in the garden this morning :( Need to take it easy now
    Jesus man.that is terrible timing .Hope its just a niggle,and with a bit of rest,sorts itself out.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Jesus man.that is terrible timing .Hope its just a niggle,and with a bit of rest,sorts itself out.

I'll give it a couple of days. Should be enough. My body is just reminding me I'm not 25 anymore :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

Last long run done today.

Really looking forward to this.

Advertisement