Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester marathon 8th April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

All good here so far *quickly crosses everything*
    Last longish one today but thinking the coming low mileage week might unsettle a bit !

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭jnk883

Derco wrote: »
    Put my back out in the garden this morning :( Need to take it easy now

I'm in the same boat but mine was from lifting Ikea wardrobes and from previous injury. But I've officially had to pull out. Longest run I managed to get in was 16 miles and only once. I could go out there and walk around but then I'd set myself back further. My body clearly telling me I'm not ready with the string of injuries. So I'm going to build to Cork Half, and go all out for Dublin. Just need to get the underling issues fixed. Gutted but had to be sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

jnk883 wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat but mine was from lifting Ikea wardrobes and from previous injury. But I've officially had to pull out. Longest run I managed to get in was 16 miles and only once. I could go out there and walk around but then I'd set myself back further. My body clearly telling me I'm not ready with the string of injuries. So I'm going to build to Cork Half, and go all out for Dublin. Just need to get the underling issues fixed. Gutted but had to be sensible.

Hard call to make but definitely the right one. Get those issues sorted first and build from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Just when I was over shin splints, I got snowed in for a week, and then got a chest infection, so training has been close to non-existent since the start of February. I’ll still toe the line, and make my way around the course. No idea of a time target now, maybe 3:20-3:30.

Just when I was over shin splints, I got snowed in for a week, and then got a chest infection, so training has been close to non-existent since the start of February. I’ll still toe the line, and make my way around the course. No idea of a time target now, maybe 3:20-3:30.

What time were you targeting prior to those few inconveniences

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

jnk883 wrote: »

Sorry to read that jnk883 you've been well and truly poxed for this one but rest up, get yourself right and have a great DCM. I'm just going to get the tshirt and medal and not worry about a time. It's been a strange training block for me. I've been getting decent miles in the legs but somehow it just doesn't feel like I've been training for a marathon for some reason. Best of luck to everyone going over

Race Info booklet now up on the website - can't paste link
    Anyone seen or if you've ran it before have the course gradient profile?
    I know it's flat one but would like to see if there are any dodgy bits to know about in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Race Info booklet now up on the website - can't paste link
    Anyone seen or if you've ran it before have the course gradient profile?
    I know it's flat one but would like to see if there are any dodgy bits to know about in advance...

Looks like a bit of a hill at half way Strava linky and Official linky. Miles 14-21 look decent before a final drag.
    Haven't run Manchester before, but it doesn't look too bad.

My faster half ran this a few years ago. Hill at halfway is the only one of note. Short and steep, then back down the other side. Overall seems a really good course.

plumber77 wrote: »
    What time were you targeting prior to those few inconveniences

Goal was 2:59, I was just getting into my stride nicely in January, was exactly where I wanted to be, but that’s how it goes sometimes. I’ll hopefully regroup and do a decent autumn marathon.

• Advertisement

. Miles 14-21 look decent before a final drag. Haven't run Manchester before, but it doesn't look too bad.

Cheers. Seen the route map but didn't notice the gradient profile on the bottom! :)

Right guys & gals lets lay it out on the line what are the targets for next week and current PBs?? ;)

I'm maybe been a bit over ambitious but ramped up the training a bit for this and going for a 10 minute PB so a 3.39 would do me at a pace of around 8.20
    See how it goes on the day but feck it I'll give it a crack.....

Right guys & gals lets lay it out on the line what are the targets for next week and current PBs?? ;)

I'm maybe been a bit over ambitious but ramped up the training a bit for this and going for a 10 minute PB so a 3.39 would do me at a pace of around 8.20

PB of 3.14 in my last marathon 5 years ago. Targeting close to 3.10 this time and hoping my hamstring holds up. Was cramping on my last long slow run last week. Have been looking after it since with some massage and activation work. I reckon if it holds up it's a doable time, otherwise a bit of room for a new pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Hi
    looking forward to my first foreign marathon, the training hasnt gone too goo , but not too bad also, tis hard training during the winter months and with all the snow this year i have done a few long runs on a treadmill, i did 21 miles on it one day(never again!)

my pb is 3:24, and when i signed up i was aiming for maybe close to 3:20, but will be happy to get around and maybe break 3:30.

the course looks nice, is it much flatter than Dublin?

just wondering , what is the story with bringing gels on a plane? i tend to bring 6, but am wondering are their any issues bringing gels on a plane

thanks and good luck to all
    Aidan

PB: 4 :15

Target: Get the tshirt and the medal. On Sunday I was walking around like a 70 year old instead of doing my last 20 miler but happy(ish) to report that I have progressed to running like a 70 year old having done a very easy 3 miles this morning (I'm 43 btw). Throw into the mix the fact that I started proper training late due to getting the flu and the poxy excuse for a Spring we've had weather wise. I just don't think I have the quality miles in the legs to give it a proper lash. But it's my first foreign marathon so I just want to enjoy the experience.

I might hold back on the by-product of my pre-race hydration and relieve myself outside Old Trafford just to make it worthwhile :)

Derco wrote:
    I might hold back on the by-product of my pre-race hydration and relieve myself outside Old Trafford just to make it worthwhile

LoL
    you'll have to get in a queue behind me :)

PB 3:41 from DCM last year. Targeting 3:29 for this. I'll tell you after 18 miles if that's ambitious! I'll get the table started (shamelessly stolen from last year's DCM thread):

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    |Unthought Known|3:41:41|3:29:59|

amcgee wrote: »
    just wondering , what is the story with bringing gels on a plane? i tend to bring 6, but am wondering are their any issues bringing gels on a plane
    Aidan

I took gels over for London last year. You shouldn't have a problem, just make sure they're in a clear bag.

PB 3:41 from DCM last year. Targeting 3:29 for this. I'll tell you after 18 miles if that's ambitious! I'll get the table started (shamelessly stolen from last year's DCM thread):

I took gels over for London last year. You shouldn't have a problem, just make sure they're in a clear bag.

No idea how to update that table, so could someone do the honours.

Username plumber77
    PB 3:14:30
    Predicted 3:09:27
    Actual ??

Here's the table. Did I get everyone?

|Derco|4:16:04|Just Finish!!|
    |plumber77| 3:14:30|3:09:27|
    |sideshowbob321| 3:49:00|3:39:00|
    |amcgee| 3:24:00|3:20:00|

Who's going to be first in with the weather report..

• Advertisement

Who's going to be first with the post race boozer suggestions :)

Who's going to be first with the post race boozer suggestions

I'll have to bow to someone else's experience in that regard. Not sure I could stomach a pint at old Trafford, marathon day or anyday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Calvin Johnson

PB is 3.29 -

Sub 3.29 would be the target.

|Calvin Johnson|3:29|<3:29|

plumber77 wrote: »
    Who's going to be first in with the weather report..

After what we've had to train in for the last month or so I'll take whatever Sunday week throws at us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

amcgee wrote: »
    Hi
    looking forward to my first foreign marathon, the training hasnt gone too goo , but not too bad also, tis hard training during the winter months and with all the snow this year i have done a few long runs on a treadmill, i did 21 miles on it one day(never again!)

my pb is 3:24, and when i signed up i was aiming for maybe close to 3:20, but will be happy to get around and maybe break 3:30.

the course looks nice, is it much flatter than Dublin?

thanks and good luck to all
    Aidan
    21 miles on a fecking treadmill.I taught I was mad.I have done 2 midweek 15 milers on the treadmill.And I nearly had a nervous breakdown,on both occasions.Hats off to you man.That is incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

PB 2:57:41 (HOPING) for 2:56:59.Could someone stick that up on the table please.Training has been a bit meh.If everything falls into place,who knows.If not a 2:59:59 would be very pleasing,indeed.

|Calvin Johnson|3:29:00|3:28:59|
    |kerrylad|2:57:41|2:56:59|

|ThePiedPiper|2:49:00|3:28:00|

Ran a few miles yesterday, fit and healthy for the first time in a couple of months. I’ll set off at 3:20ish pace, see how I’m feeling and adjust the pace if necessary. Looking forward to a great weekend.

• Advertisement

|ThePiedPiper|2:49:00|3:28:00|

Ran a few miles yesterday, fit and healthy for the first time in a couple of months. I’ll set off at 3:20ish pace, see how I’m feeling and adjust the pace if necessary. Looking forward to a great weekend.

That is some pb you have. Looking forward to this now. Have the usual taper tiredness in the legs; getting twitches and aches everywhere. I'm sure it's just energy trying to burst out :)

Advertisement