Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester marathon 8th April 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Well, I'm out of the race sadly.

Wife requires emergency surgery to remove an ectopic pregnancy in the morning so I won't be able to make the trip.

Devastating in every way.

Sorry to hear that CJ. Hope everything works out for you.

Safe trip everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Just picked up my number. Expo was one of the best I've seen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Just here now amazeballs:)

Just here now amazeballs:)

Hope you brought a big bag for all the goodies

Looks like we've got a prefect day for it :)
    good luck all

• Advertisement

Best of luck lads. Weather excuse is gone out the window anyway :) hope it goes well for ye all.

3.09.33 for me today lads. Delighted with that, a 5 minute PB. Sorry for the discrepancy with my predicted time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

plumber77 wrote: »
    3.09.33 for me today lads. Delighted with that, a 5 minute PB. Sorry for the discrepancy with my predicted time :)

What a fantastic run man, congratulations!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Brilliant time, congratulations!
    3:39:01 for me. A 2 minute PB, but outside my A goal.

3:31 for me a nice 18 minute PB :)
    Didn't set out for it but after 5/6 miles decided to go for it !
    Delighted with that was on for 2:29 but faded in the last two miles but bleedin chuffed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

3:31 for me a nice 18 minute PB Didn't set out for it but after 5/6 miles decided to go for it ! Delighted with that was on for 2:29 but faded in the last two miles but bleedin chuffed

That's some fade!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Really enjoyed the marathon

Did 3:26:10. Was aiming for sub 3:30. Went behind pacers for first half and went ahead after. Had a quicker 2nd half and really could have ran for another 5 miles also funnily enough I struggled for first 7 miles but then everything clicked into place.

Well done to all on great times. Funnily enough I was not aiming for a pb , but thought I was on for one with a few miles to go..wasn't too bothered. Can't be greedy

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

That's brilliant well done. Perfect day for it today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

3:16:52 for me. Ran fairly conservative for the first 10k, picking it up the whole way. 2 minute negative split, but probably went too aggressive between 16-22, left myself a bit knackered for the last couple of miles. Decent race. Well done to everyone on your pbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

3:31 for me a nice 18 minute PB :)
    Didn't set out for it but after 5/6 miles decided to go for it !
    Delighted with that was on for 2:29 but faded in the last two miles but bleedin chuffed
    Super improvement,18 minute pb,big congratulations.

Excellent run.

Didn't bluff my way to the pb of 2:56:59 I predicted.As I said,my training wasn't great,but I gave yesterday a good rattle.Plan was try and stay with sub 3 pacer,and hang on for dear life.Crossed halfway in 1:29:54,got a right dodgy spell from 32 to 37K,where all I wanted to do was stop.Told myself,cop the feck on,so somehow I regained my focus,to come home in 2:58:52.Delighted with that.Perfect weather,lovely course,and I will be back,hopefully in better shape.Well done all yesterday,some cracking pb,s from most.

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Didn't bluff my way to the pb of 2:56:59 I predicted.As I said,my training wasn't great,but I gave yesterday a good rattle.Plan was try and stay with sub 3 pacer,and hang on for dear life.Crossed halfway in 1:29:54,got a right dodgy spell from 32 to 37K,where all I wanted to do was stop.Told myself,cop the feck on,so somehow I regained my focus,to come home in 2:58:52.Delighted with that.Perfect weather,lovely course,and I will be back,hopefully in better shape.Well done all yesterday,some cracking pb,s from most.

Fantastic running for someone not in their best shape! Definitely a great spring marathon for anyone looking to do one. After reading the Rotterdam thread I think we were spoilt weather wise. I did Rotterdam a few years ago myself on a warm day; promised myself I'd never roll that side again. I just can't cope with heat. That section from 32 to 37 is definitely the place I found the brain telling me " slow down now and just enjoy the marathon" :)

Fantastic running for someone not in their best shape! Definitely a great spring marathon for anyone looking to do one. After reading the Rotterdam thread I think we were spoilt weather wise. I did Rotterdam a few years ago myself on a warm day; promised myself I'd never roll that side again. I just can't cope with heat. That section from 32 to 37 is definitely the place I found the brain telling me " slow down now and just enjoy the marathon" :)
    I'm like urself.Hate running in the heat.That is exactly what I was saying aswell,slow down,enjoy it,no one cares,sure you can go for it again in Limerick,excuse after excuse.Thankfully both of us didn't.Well done again.Have you any idea when and where ,you will go for the sub 3?

I'm like urself.Hate running in the heat.That is exactly what I was saying aswell,slow down,enjoy it,no one cares,sure you can go for it again in Limerick,excuse after excuse.Thankfully both of us didn't.Well done again.Have you any idea when and where ,you will go for the sub 3?

It could possibly be spring next year again. I doubt I could jump under 3 in my next training. So who knows it could be Manchester again. Considering Dublin or Frankfurt for the next one. Did Frankfurt in 2013 and loved it. Going to concentrate on trying to improve my speed over the summer with some 5k & 10k races. Even though I hit my goal yesterday I was getting hamstring twinges as a result of an injury a couple of weeks back from about 6 miles onwards and I was very wary of it. Even today my right hammer and glute is the only part of me aching. Need to address that.

• Advertisement

I made it around in one piece. Was going nice and steady until around 20 miles then as I feared my lack of training kicked in and it was the zombie shuffle all the way to the finish. Not my best marathon but not my worst either, I suppose in the circumstances I'll consider that a result. Don't know my time actually as the battery on my watch ran out on 18 miles. Can't be arsed checking.

I liked the course, It was quick but not pancake flat but I'd recommend it. Well done to everyone who made it around. Now for a couple days of walking downstairs sideways....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Rathfarnham man Mark Ryan 3rd overall here in 2.25.39

Derco wrote: »
    I made it around in one piece. Was going nice and steady until around 20 miles then as I feared my lack of training kicked in and it was the zombie shuffle all the way to the finish. Not my best marathon but not my worst either, I suppose in the circumstances I'll consider that a result. Don't know my time actually as the battery on my watch ran out on 18 miles. Can't be arsed checking.

I liked the course, It was quick but not pancake flat but I'd recommend it. Well done to everyone who made it around. Now for a couple days of walking downstairs sideways....

Definitely not pancake flat but I think if someone had trained well or felt good the full little pulls are barely noticeable. It's definitely a pb course.

Definitely not pancake flat but I think if someone had trained well or felt good the full little pulls are barely noticeable. It's definitely a pb course.

Compared to Dublin it is anyway. I haven't run any other one.

So what's next for everyone? We all signed up for Dublin??

Dublin or Frankfurt possibly

Might give Limerick a lash,Sunday 3 week's.It's on my doorstep,so very tempting.But from going what more experienced runners say,I've no hope of a pb,4 Week's between marathons.So I don't know weather to go with 3:15 pacers,or risk a major blow up,bye going for another sub 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

amcgee wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the marathon

Did 3:26:10. Was aiming for sub 3:30. Went behind pacers for first half and went ahead after. Had a quicker 2nd half and really could have ran for another 5 miles also funnily enough I struggled for first 7 miles but then everything clicked into place.

Well done to all on great times. Funnily enough I was not aiming for a pb , but thought I was on for one with a few miles to go..wasn't too bothered. Can't be greedy
    Congratulations in order but I have to say if you could have run for another 5 miles then you're doing something wrong.

Itziger wrote: »
    Congratulations in order but I have to say if you could have run for another 5 miles then you're doing something wrong.
    Jesus man,will you not let the man enjoy his pb,congratulations amcmagee,fantastic improvement.At your rate of improvement,no doubt you will be passing us all out in due course.Well done.

Jesus man,will you not let the man enjoy his pb,congratulations amcmagee,fantastic improvement.At your rate of improvement,no doubt you will be passing us all out in due course.Well done.

I'd imagine he's just advising he may need to reset his targets. Kind of a compliment really. I definitely didn't get that feeling crossing the lad. Are you really going to have a crack at Limerick?

• Advertisement

I'd imagine he's just advising he may need to reset his targets. Kind of a compliment really. I definitely didn't get that feeling crossing the lad. Are you really going to have a crack at Limerick?
    Maybe ur right plummer,I probably took that post up wrong.Anyway, I am probably going to give Limerick a lash.A boards member,that I run with is going for a sub 3 in Limerick.I think,I owe it to him,to run with him.I was in a dark place,6/7 weeks ago,and only for him,I wouldn't be even running,never mind getting that sub 3 yesterday.

Advertisement