Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manchester marathon 8th April 2018

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

kerrylad1 wrote: »
    Maybe ur right plummer,I probably took that post up wrong.Anyway, I am probably going to give Limerick a lash.A boards member,that I run with is going for a sub 3 in Limerick.I think,I owe it to him,to run with him.I was in a dark place,6/7 weeks ago,and only for him,I wouldn't be even running,never mind getting that sub 3 yesterday.

Fair play, I'm sure he will appreciate the help. You'll probably go sub 3 again yourself, you're in that zone now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

plumber77 wrote: »
    Fair play, I'm sure he will appreciate the help. You'll probably go sub 3 again yourself, you're in that zone now.
    I'd say my chances of that are limited bye all accounts.On a side note,are you as sore as previous Marathon's today.I'm Grand,walking fine,wondering did I not try hard enough,or is that just a result of the easier course.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

I'd say my chances of that are limited bye all accounts.On a side note,are you as sore as previous Marathon's today.I'm Grand,walking fine,wondering did I not try hard enough,or is that just a result of the easier course.

Actually pretty good too bar my right hammer and glute. They feel a bit bruisey today.Have had an issue there for a few weeks. Other than that I feel fine. Can't just be a course thing as I seen a fair few walking wounded limping past the window as I looked out from burgerking yesterday. Id put it down to the Smokey bacon supersize meal deal. What was your recovery food of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

Just my quads as usual.

plumber77 wrote: »
    Actually pretty good too bar my right hammer and glute. They feel a bit bruisey today.Have had an issue there for a few weeks. Other than that I feel fine. Can't just be a course thing as I seen a fair few walking wounded limping past the window as I looked out from burgerking yesterday. Id put it down to the Smokey bacon supersize meal deal. What was your recovery food of choice.
    4 pints of carling and a chicken curry.Extremely nourishing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Itziger wrote: »
    Congratulations in order but I have to say if you could have run for another 5 miles then you're doing something wrong.

Thanks, was happy with my time. , My pb is 3:24.sio this wasn't a pb. But my training for this was not great. Long runs were poor although I did get up to 4 20 plus. But my weekly milage is very low. I rather enjoy my marathons then falling across line. Running another 5 m might have been a bit of a stretch but it just felt I was pacing well. I do admire those who push their body to the limits in marathons. I would have got sub 3:20 if training went better ..but you did ask the correct question and I do certainly appreciate your good motivation.
    Well done to you

Jesus man,will you not let the man enjoy his pb,congratulations amcmagee,fantastic improvement.At your rate of improvement,no doubt you will be passing us all out in due course.Well done.

Thanks, i had a disaster dcm 2018. Was aiming for a 3:23 but died badly and got 3:38..nearly crawling across the line. I had a similar feeling crossing limerick a few years ago , similar time. Paced well. A sub 3:30 is the limits to my ambitions tbh. But might slowly get to a sub 3:20.
    Well done to you, great time

Twas my. 8th marathon and my 4th different marathon.

I have done cork twice, limerick and dcm 4 time.

Manchester is a flat marathon compared to any other one I have done. The few pulls were not noticeable really. But no matter what marathon you do, it's still the same distance. My pb is from dcm , so if I can do 3:24 their , given the same training and drive, a few minutes better in Manchester would have been a difinitive aim.
    Was as tired yesterday as I have ever been after a race,got a late flight home and bus down to the Midlands ..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

Well done to all, it seems like most people achieved what they set out to do or better. The course and conditions could not have been better, and the support was really appreciated. There must be a shortage of Jelly babies in the Manchester area! I managed a 3:35 which I was absolutely delighted with. I largely stuck to my plan of going out for 10k easy, then picking up the pace and if possible picking up again for the last 10k. I did that but with 6k to go I really started to feel it in the legs. Thankfully I did not slow too much and got across the line, although the last 3 miles felt like an eternity. I now know what is really meant when you say a marathon not a sprint!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

amcgee wrote: »
    Congratulations in order but I have to say if you could have run for another 5 miles then you're doing something wrong.

Thanks, was happy with my time. , My pb is 3:24.sio this wasn't a pb. But my training for this was not great. Long runs were poor although I did get up to 4 20 plus. But my weekly milage is very low. I rather enjoy my marathons then falling across line. Running another 5 m might have been a bit of a stretch but it just felt I was pacing well. I do admire those who push their body to the limits in marathons. I would have got sub 3:20 if training went better ..but you did ask the correct question and I do certainly appreciate your good motivation.
    Well done to you
    McGee, 4 20 milers doesn't sound bad but low mileage overall isn't great. Don't be putting limits on your ambitions. Read some logs and see what people have achieved. Heck you could even read Krusty's; 3.45 or so to 2.30. I just get the feeling from the comment I picked up on (which you're probably regretting!!) that there's more in you. That's all I was saying. And yes it was a kind of compliment I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sideshowbob321

Derco wrote: »
    Compared to Dublin it is anyway. I haven't run any other one.

So what's next for everyone? We all signed up for Dublin??

Climbing down off the fence to think about Dublin too just have to let the OH know the bad news!
    But I'll see how I feel in the coming weeks as delighted with the race on Sunday but may have set myself a very stuff target to beat in the same year - never considered doing two a year.... until now !
    Would like to look at Frankfurt but defo couldn't get away with away trips in one year so maybe one for 2019

I think I'll try to get back to some 5 & 10K's haven't raced them in a few years and see if I can build a bit of speed up before committing to another marathon cycle
    Any advice? My Half PB was 1:43 so think I'll need to work on this to get under 3:30 next time out

• Registered Users Posts: 35 PeterParker100

I think I'll try to get back to some 5 & 10K's haven't raced them in a few years and see if I can build a bit of speed up before committing to another marathon cycle
    Any advice? My Half PB was 1:43 so think I'll need to work on this to get under 3:30 next time out

Well done sideshow, great time that and I'm a wee bit envious!

I run Rotterdam on Sunday looking for 3:30, but started struggling around 12 miles and finished in 4:15 after getting to halfway at 1:48! My half PB is 1:38 from the Dublin/Donabate Half last year, annoyingly I think I have 3:30 in me (my best is 3:48 at DCM 2015), but I'm not sure I want to go through another marathon cycle for a while!

I think you'll be well capable of a sub 1:40 half on that performance and then sub 3:30 is well within reach.

Begs wrote: »
    Well done to all, it seems like most people achieved what they set out to do or better. The course and conditions could not have been better, and the support was really appreciated. There must be a shortage of Jelly babies in the Manchester area! I managed a 3:35 which I was absolutely delighted with. I largely stuck to my plan of going out for 10k easy, then picking up the pace and if possible picking up again for the last 10k. I did that but with 6k to go I really started to feel it in the legs. Thankfully I did not slow too much and got across the line, although the last 3 miles felt like an eternity. I now know what is really meant when you say a marathon not a sprint!
    Congratulations begs.well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Didn't bluff my way to the pb of 2:56:59 I predicted.As I said,my training wasn't great,but I gave yesterday a good rattle.Plan was try and stay with sub 3 pacer,and hang on for dear life.Crossed halfway in 1:29:54,got a right dodgy spell from 32 to 37K,where all I wanted to do was stop.Told myself,cop the feck on,so somehow I regained my focus,to come home in 2:58:52.Delighted with that.Perfect weather,lovely course,and I will be back,hopefully in better shape.Well done all yesterday,some cracking pb,s from most.

Well done man, great run that. PB time in Limerick again so!!

OOnegative wrote: »
    Cheers man.I probably will give it a lash anyhow.Doing a lot of dossing here in work since Monday,reading up about the Pro's and con,s,of doing 2 marathons so close.Legs feel good at the moment,so who knows.But from what I'm reading,it seems that a major blow up is what lies ahead.

Cheers man.I probably will give it a lash anyhow.Doing a lot of dossing here in work since Monday,reading up about the Pro's and con,s,of doing 2 marathons so close.Legs feel good at the moment,so who knows.But from what I'm reading,it seems that a major blow up is what lies ahead.
    Not necessarily. We have some good examples here from Berlin to Dublin which is what 4 weeks.....

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Derco

The legend that is Dave Brady has been known to run 3 marathons over a Bank Holiday weekend!

Derco wrote: »
    The legend that is Dave Brady has been known to run 3 marathons over a Bank Holiday weekend!
    Unbelievable.Hats of to the man.

Not necessarily. We have some good examples here from Berlin to Dublin which is what 4 weeks.....
    Sound,Itziger.Do you know if any of them keep a log,so I can see what to do,for the few weeks inbetween.

Sound,Itziger.Do you know if any of them keep a log,so I can see what to do,for the few weeks inbetween.

yaboya1 done it a few years back, he used to keep a log. Am sure you could dig it out somewhere, Gary O Hanlon done both last year, running a PB in Dublin!!

Edit: A slow journey to Faster times is the log title

• Advertisement

yaboya1 done it a few years back, he used to keep a log. Am sure you could dig it out somewhere, Gary O Hanlon done both last year, running a PB in Dublin!!

Edit: A slow journey to Faster times is the log title
    Cheers.I will have a look through that log over the weekend.

Well the fella I know best is Eau Rouge. He's a bit of a maverick so might have done fcuk all between the two! I'll see if I can get a bit of info out of him. I think his times were 2.33 and 2.32; a classy maverick 😉

Well the fella I know best is Eau Rouge. He's a bit of a maverick so might have done fcuk all between the two! I'll see if I can get a bit of info out of him. I think his times were 2.33 and 2.32; a classy maverick 😉
    Sound.These lads that churn out those times are something else.Had a read of Dublin runners latest Marathon PB,a few minutes ago.Amazing stuff.

Sound.These lads that churn out those times are something else.Had a read of Dublin runners latest Marathon PB,a few minutes ago.Amazing stuff.
    May I ask where that's posted? Log or blog or race report here?

His log called ‘Making every mile count’.

Sorry for the late reply,was busy watching paw patrol.I see oonegative,beat me too it.Great read.Enjoy.

Advertisement