Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus commute time from Walkinstown at rush hour!

Options
  • 05-11-2017 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi all

I'm considering making a bid on a house in Walkinstown Dublin at present. I've been living in Dublin 18 years but never lived in Walkinstown.

What I need to know from people who have experience of the area is what are the best bus options to take you from the Cherryfield area of Walkinstown to the city centre and how long they take on a typical weekday at whatever time will get someone to work in the IFSC by 9am.

I know I can check the Dublin bus website but all their times are only estimated at off peak times.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Try the National Journey Planner at www.a-b.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭cargen

Hi all

I'm considering making a bid on a house in Walkinstown Dublin at present. I've been living in Dublin 18 years but never lived in Walkinstown.

What I need to know from people who have experience of the area is what are the best bus options to take you from the Cherryfield area of Walkinstown to the city centre and how long they take on a typical weekday at whatever time will get someone to work in the IFSC by 9am.

I know I can check the Dublin bus website but all their times are only estimated at off peak times.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I would probably consider the red Luas from long mile road.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Use google maps, it will take traffic in to account if you set the appropriate time.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Luas would definitely be a much better option!

LUAS is nowhere near the Cherryfield area.

OP use the National Journey Planner and put in exact addresses.

• Advertisement

LXFlyer wrote: »
    LUAS is nowhere near the Cherryfield area.

I presumed it was since someone else mentioned it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Listen not to be smart but you not pop out and try yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pablopicasso1

I would probably consider the red Luas from long mile road.

Yeah its just too far from the house to make walking to it practical unfortunately. Thanks anyway.

Try the National Journey Planner at .....

I did actually try that but the journey time didn't seem to vary at all between 7am and 8:30am
    from the bus stop I would need to use which can't be right. Do you live in the area and use the Luas? That's ominous if so...

Use google maps, it will take traffic in to account if you set the appropriate time.

Again, journey time seems not to vary much if at all. I think the info on this actually comes from the national journey planner website anyway.

Listen not to be smart but you not pop out and try yourself?

I need to bid this week and work means I won't be able to be in Walkinstown getting buses at 8am. I certainly would be otherwise!

I find it amazing that none of the dublin bus apps allow you to track an individual bus for more than one stop. Surely this would be very easily applied to the real time app and could be used to track people's children etc for safety??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Not sure on the likes of the 9 bus but the buses which service the Crumlin Road (27, 77a, etc...) can be backed up with traffic from the Shopping Centre back to the Hospital as there's no buses. I drive the opposite way in the morning and the traffic can be fairly bad - same as Dolphins Barn junction.

OP - the National Journey Planner uses the base timetables from the Dublin Bus control schedules - you’re not going to get any better indicative times other than by trying it yourself unfortunately.

Google maps info comes from the same source.

Suffice to say that journey times will be slow during that entire period due to the lack of continuous on-street bus priority (particularly on the 9).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

I drive the 27/77a, no two days are the same. It can take as little as 20 mins from the walkinstown roundabout to the bottom of cork street and 40 mins to get from there to eden quay, Dolphins barn and Cork st/Kevin st can be crazy at times,

ronn wrote: »
    I drive the 27/77a, no two days are the same. It can take as little as 20 mins from the walkinstown roundabout to the bottom of cork street and 40 mins to get from there to eden quay, Dolphins barn and Cork st/Kevin st can be crazy at times,

That really doesn't sound promising unfortunately. I suspected right enough that the dolphins barn bridge over the canal would be a major problem just as it is in Harold's cross.

Do you happen to know anything of the 9 route? It would be the closest to the house and to where I work on upper Camden street

If you work on Camden Street, that's a lot different to the IFSC. Do you have a limit on how long you want your commute to be? Is cycling an option?

If you work on Camden Street, that's a lot different to the IFSC. Do you have a limit on how long you want your commute to be? Is cycling an option?

I actually do cycle and have done for many years but on the days when that's just not possible I need to know how practical the alternatives are

I actually do cycle and have done for many years but on the days when that's just not possible I need to know how practical the alternatives are

Well if getting the bus is the exception rather than the norm I wouldn't get too hung up on it. If you left at 8 you'd most likely get to Camden Street with time to spare for 9.

Well if getting the bus is the exception rather than the norm I wouldn't get too hung up on it. If you left at 8 you'd most likely get to Camden Street with time to spare for 9.

Thanks ibarely. Do you live in the area by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

That really doesn't sound promising unfortunately. I suspected right enough that the dolphins barn bridge over the canal would be a major problem just as it is in Harold's cross.

Do you happen to know anything of the 9 route? It would be the closest to the house and to where I work on upper Camden street

No not sure about the No.9, but you could get the 27/77a to cork street and get a city bike over to Camden street,

Thanks ibarely. Do you live in the area by any chance?

I live in Drimnagh so not too far. I have a few different routes I can take to work, I sometimes get the 122 from the Crumlin Road. Takes about 25/30 mins to get to the top of Camden Street from there.

I live in Drimnagh so not too far. I have a few different routes I can take to work, I sometimes get the 122 from the Crumlin Road. Takes about 25/30 mins to get to the top of Camden Street from there.

Is that between 8 and 8:30 that you would be getting that? The 9 does link up with the Crumlin Road just at Jack Pott's Bingo so I'm thinking maybe 25/30 mins as you said + 10 for the total journey time which actually doesn't sound too bad at all

Is that between 8 and 8:30 that you would be getting that? The 9 does link up with the Crumlin Road just at Jack Pott's Bingo so I'm thinking maybe 25/30 mins as you said + 10 for the total journey time which actually doesn't sound too bad at all

I start work at either 8.30 or 8.45 so would usually be 7.30/7.45 when getting the bus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement