Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp smell and mould in house

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What's the breach of contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

beauf wrote: »
    What's the breach of contract?

Agreement says to not dry clothes inside and only use the washer/dryer, which is crap and I'd probably need it on for 3 hours or something to dry a load. I'm already using the heating far more than I'd like to because of how cold the apartment is, I wouldn't want to add to my already high costs by having a dryer on every day.

The issue I have is that even in the summer when we're drying clothes outside we still have mold. They're going to blame me for any sort of issue because he saw clothes drying and this is the only place I've lived that has this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I'm no expert on this subject, so someone could enlighten me. Why would there be mold in my wardrobe, present on clothing, and extensive water droplets/mold in my bedroom window from clothes being dry in another room across the apartment?
    In a nutshell;
    The act of drying clothes produces water vapour which is a gas. Gas molecules will try to equalise concentration and will diffuse throughout the space allowed i.e. water vapour will diffuse to the other rooms in the apartment. If this space is cooler then the relative humidity will rise giving a higher risk of condensation and therefore supplying the water source allowing mould to thrive.

It is not unheard of that houses / apartments previously without an issue with mould suddenly start to have issues (and visa versa) due to changes in behavioural habits of occupants or changes made to the house / apartment (e.g: changing from open hearth fire to stove; not opening / blocking up vents; not using sufficient heating).

Drying clothes internally may not cause issues in all houses or apartments because there are a multiplicity of factors at play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

... Agreement says to not dry clothes inside and only use the washer/dryer,...

... Did you point out that using a dryer is also drying clothes inside... Unless the dryer is in the garden or something...

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭James 007

Why would there be mold in my wardrobe, present on clothing, and extensive water droplets/mold in my bedroom window from clothes being dry in another room across the apartment?

It should also be noted this apartment is very poorly insulated because it's ridiculously cold even when the heating is on it struggles to heat the place. Could the cold be an issue?

If the apartment is poorly insulated, you can bet your bottom dollar that the construction of the apartment may well be poor too. If the dampness is around your windows then most likely you have cold bridging problems. The clothes issue may only be a secondary issue with the primary issue being the landlords.
    https://www.google.ie/search?q=cold+bridging+condensation&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjdp4HitI_YAhXEa1AKHYvABfUQsAQILw&biw=1366&bih=623#imgrc=jfYubNH3FQ5mYM:&spf=1513457562925

• Advertisement
Advertisement