Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whole foods market

• 06-11-2017 4:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right forum. Anyway I use whole foods market (the chain store) in London a fair bit. They are great for quality food if you are health conscious. I can't fathom why they don't set up in dublin, they'd clean up. Anyone know what I'm talking about :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I went to one in Orange County last month. I really disliked it. Fad foods and weird combinations. The product selection was like something from a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book. The whole place was overwhelming, much moreso than a typical crowded supermarket.

It's also the place in the OC where I encountered rudeness. The norm in the area is to be so super nice and polite that I found it a bit shocking.

The store has been made fun of in South Park. I think they were pretty accurate and found it pretty funny.

A branch in certain areas of Dublin might do well enough. Kinda like a loud version of Donnybrook Fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

lufties wrote: »
    Not sure if this is the right forum. Anyway I use whole foods market (the chain store) in London a fair bit. They are great for quality food if you are health conscious. I can't fathom why they don't set up in dublin, they'd clean up. Anyone know what I'm talking about :)

Because we already have decent supermarkets. Until Amazon took whole foods over they were insanely, unjustifiably expensive also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,018 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I went to a couple of these when I was in America last year. They were huge, the size of a B&Q warehouse.

As someone who gets bits in M&S, Avoca, Fallon & Byrne, I could not believe the prices in this market. I will say the quality was excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Thud

Went to one in NY a few years ago, guy in front of me spent a couple of hundred dollars on nut milks and quinoa....ridiculously overpriced but yeah it would clean up here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Very expensive fad foods. I don't think we were crazy enough even during the Tiger years for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to the Food forum.

dudara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anytime I've been in the US, I've found them to have a good product range, but also be quite expensive, and it also feels a bit gimmicky??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

dudara wrote: »
    Anytime I've been in the US, I've found them to have a good product range, but also be quite expensive, and it also feels a bit gimmicky??
    I probably do 15% of my monthly shop there, the brands they sell are the best of the best. They can be insanely expensive for some things, but honestly I found Dunnes stores to be a huge rip off when im home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

L1011 wrote: »

Because we already have decent supermarkets. Until Amazon took whole foods over they were insanely, unjustifiably expensive also

For me,I think it feels like a bit of a safe haven amongst all the **** holes in London, the whole foods have friendly staff, they are clean, feel relaxed, nicely laid out, and have good food. Perhaps its just psychological.
    They'd clean up if the set up around Dublin 2, or even at the Smithfield area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It wouldn’t be worth their while to set up here. The market for that sort of supermarket isn’t big enough. There’s definitely room for one of the existing supermarkets to offer a Whole Foods type of set-up amongst their current offerings and SuperValu have moved closer to that of late but it’s nowhere close to matching it.

I do like Whole Foods though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,432 ✭✭✭✭L1011

For me,I think it feels like a bit of a safe haven amongst all the **** holes in London, the whole foods have friendly staff, they are clean, feel relaxed, nicely laid out, and have good food. Perhaps its just psychological.
    They'd clean up if the set up around Dublin 2, or even at the Smithfield area.

Fresh was effectively an attempt to do that, in D2 and Smithfield at that.

It ended up being bought out by the Spar franchiser group and now they're just fancy Spars.

We have Donnybrook Fair in that market position; your average Supervalu is also superior to the normal UK supermarket (bar Waitrose)

Advertisement