Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did anyone borrow towards mortgage deposit?

Options
  • 06-11-2017 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone borrowed towards the mortgage deposit, and how did it work out?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

goofy141 wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone borrowed towards the mortgage deposit, and how did it work out?

Thanks

If you can't afford the deposit prob best not to be buying a house.

Not saying it's a good idea but I do know of some people who it worked out fine for. You are likely to get the horror stories mostly on here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

The bank will ask you where you got the deposit, if they don't see a history of saving. What will you tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

If you have any outstanding loans, the bank will reduce your borrowing capabilities for the mortgage to account for the repayments on these so it could backfire a bit.

As Wheety said, they will look for a history of saving and want to see your bank statements so will see the loan. The only way I've seen them ok with it is a loan from a parent where the parent signs to say that it's a gift.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Evil-p

kfrp wrote: »
    If you can't afford the deposit prob best not to be buying a house.

With all due respect I completely disagree. My mortgage payments are half of what my rent was. It was impossible to save for a deposit but I was more than able to repay my mortgage.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,836 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you borrow money to make up your deposit you won't get a mortgage. If you are gifted money by a relative you might but it'll depend on what percentage of the deposit it is and whether or not you've shown a history of savings. Your relative will have to sign to say they don't want any of the money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Evil-p wrote: »
    With all due respect I completely disagree. My mortgage payments are half of what my rent was. It was impossible to save for a deposit but I was more than able to repay my mortgage.

Any chance of the figures, house type renting vs buying, rent paid, loan amount, FTB, etc?

Any chance of the figures, house type renting vs buying, rent paid, loan amount, FTB, etc?

House for rent in beaumount - 2k per month

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/beaumont/coolgariff-road-beaumont-dublin-1783704/

House for sale (same road) - 370k. Assume FTB so 10% deposit. Mortgage or 330k is around 1300 per month on a 35 year mortgage

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/beaumont/8-coolgariff-road-beaumont-dublin-1570421/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

We borrowed (from our parents) and have been repaying each month in addition to our mortgage.
    For most people the constraint comes from the income multiple limits as opposed to repayment capacity so you can quite easilly demonstrate an ability ovmert mortgage repayments and service the loan.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭kfrp

So you think paying back a mortgage plus what would likely be a €40,000 loan would be affordable?

Look what happened before with banks giving 100% mortgages, you're saying that having a mortgage/loan of 120% will be grand.

The banks have the deposit criteria for a reason, if you can't save the deposit you should be buying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-rent/beaumont/coolgariff-road-beaumont-dublin-1783704/

House for sale (same road) - 370k. Assume FTB so 10% deposit. Mortgage or 330k is around 1300 per month on a 35 year mortgage

http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/beaumont/8-coolgariff-road-beaumont-dublin-1570421/

€1300pm
    + house insurance
    + property tax
    + bins
    + maintenance (i.e. chimney, boiler, guttering, the odd repair or replacement of washing machine / fridge / microwave etc)
    + new furniture cost

There's lots of hidden costs involved with owning a home. Plus there's the risk of house prices dropping significantly, leaving you in negative equity (at some stage) or the risk of losing your job and ending up having to get a job a much further distance away etc...

Of course it's fine to have a mortgage and a loan. I'd imagine the majority do, whether its a car loan or a loan for renovations. And if the total amount doesn't exceed what you were previously spend on rent (and could afford one would presume) I don't see the problem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

awec wrote: »
    If you borrow money to make up your deposit you won't get a mortgage. If you are gifted money by a relative you might but it'll depend on what percentage of the deposit it is and whether or not you've shown a history of savings. Your relative will have to sign to say they don't want any of the money back.

If you get a gift of over €20k you are likely to require a deceleration from the lender (family or who ever it is) from their solicitor.

€1300pm
    + house insurance
    + property tax
    + bins
    + maintenance (i.e. chimney, boiler, guttering, the odd repair or replacement of washing machine / fridge / microwave etc)
    + new furniture cost

There's lots of hidden costs involved with owning a home. Plus there's the risk of house prices dropping significantly, leaving you in negative equity (at some stage) or the risk of losing your job and ending up having to get a job a much further distance away etc...

I agree, there are lots of hidden costs. I'm a home owner myself. But not 700 euro a month in hidden costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Hi,

Thanks

Thousands of people did, it caused a recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭goofy141

Hi all we already own a home (in negative equity), have good jobs and a good saving record, but trying to save 70k + even though we are saving over 2k per month is difficult and a long process. Our plan is to keep the house we are in now and rent it out and buy again.

Enquiries for a mortgage have been good and it looks like we would be offered more that what we would need, just a case of getting up the rest of the deposit, legal fees and stamp dute.

Thanks again for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

kfrp wrote:
    The banks have the deposit criteria for a reason, if you can't save the deposit you should be buying.

It's because it's less of a risk for the bank because they hold both the value of the property plus the buyers contribution as security on the loan.

Over the long term it's better value though. Once the mortgage is paid off compared to rent.
    GarIT wrote:
    Thousands of people did, it caused a recession.

I don't think borrowing a deposit was the reason behind the recession. If no one has borrowed deposits the result would have been the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

goofy141 wrote:

There's thousands of people did this at the peak of the Tiger. Most are very sorry now that they weren't honest with the lender

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭spurshero

i find a way higher people on these forms are negative rather then positive .sometimes you have to do what you think is right for yourself . be that buying great or renting that great as well. personally i think if you can own your own home cheaper then renting somebody elses then its a no brainer . but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,832 ✭✭✭Alkers

Sleeper12 wrote:
    There's thousands of people did this at the peak of the Tiger. Most are very sorry now that they weren't honest with the lender

You can do it and be honest with the lender. Previously banks were lending purely based on repayment capacity, now they're constrained by the lti and LTV limits which restrict most people before their ability to repay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Hi all we already own a home (in negative equity), have good jobs and a good saving record, but trying to save 70k + even though we are saving over 2k per month is difficult and a long process. Our plan is to keep the house we are in now and rent it out and buy again.

Enquiries for a mortgage have been good and it looks like we would be offered more that what we would need, just a case of getting up the rest of the deposit, legal fees and stamp dute.

Thanks again for all the advice.

So you have an existing mortgage in negative equity and are looking to get another mortgage and a loan for a deposit?

I'd be very surprised if bank were willing to lend given those circumstances. You say enquiries have been good, have you disclosed about the existing mortgage?

cruizer101 wrote: »
    So you have an existing mortgage in negative equity and are looking to get another mortgage and a loan for a deposit?

I'd be very surprised if bank were willing to lend given those circumstances. You say enquiries have been good, have you disclosed about the existing mortgage?

Yes I have disclosed everything. I am not talking about borrowing 60-70k but a proportion of the deposit. Our house although in negative equity is actually increasing well in value and is now only about 10k in Neg equity. Rented proporties are being sought in the area and rent will well cover the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Rented proporties are being sought in the area and rent will well cover the mortgage.

Are you sure? Its taxed at 50% and there can be a lot of expenses if you get a bad tenant.

Are you sure? Its taxed at 50% and there can be a lot of expenses if you get a bad tenant.

Yes I have spoken to the council and they are willing to rent for 10 years and guarantee contents etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Yes I have spoken to the council and they are willing to rent for 10 years and guarantee contents etc.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057803639

Have a read of that.

will do thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

If you're just 10k in negative equity by now, wait a few months and if you're in an urban area the chances are quite high that you'll be out of it by then, sell and move on. Being a landlord in the current climate is absolute madness and I wouldn't want to get involved with any council promising all you want. They are not known for dealing well with problematic tenants.
    Your rental income is taxed with 50% and it's not said that the mortgage is paying itself, I'd just leave it honestly.

If you're in negative equity plus you're looking for a high mortgage again plus having a loan that partly funds the deposit the bank doesn't see you as an ideal candidate for a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

I got a loan for furniture for my new apartment ;) Used it for deposit and got free or cheap furniture until loan was paid off. If you want something you will find a way. If you don't you will find an excuse :)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭newo

Yes we had no savings as we were renting. Got my brother to get a loan through his credit union for our deposit and had my parents do a declaration to say they had gifted me the money. Only way we could do it at the time and thankfully it has worked out. Paid my brother's loan back and no problem with mortgage payments. Banks criteria is too strict IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Wheety wrote: »
    The bank will ask you where you got the deposit, if they don't see a history of saving. What will you tell them?

Horses.

Advertisement