Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion heater thermostat

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SeanMacEoin

2011 wrote: »
    It would be much easier and more cost effective to install an immersion with a stat.

Truly appreciate the advice I've received over the past few days on this topic. Some great ideas to mull over. I think replacing the immersion with a new one is my preference but knowing the difficulty removing the old one may bring I will get a professional in. Thanks to all for input.
    Sean.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Truly appreciate the advice I've received over the past few days on this topic. Some great ideas to mull over. I think replacing the immersion with a new one is my preference but knowing the difficulty removing the old one may bring I will get a professional in. Thanks to all for input. Sean.

Just be aware, an old cylinder with old immersion. Taking the immersion out may destroy the cylinder even with a professional. There is a chance you might end up having to replace the cylinder too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

2011 wrote: »
    It would be much easier and more cost effective to install an immersion with a stat.

You need a TMV anyway - what if the stat in the new immersion sticks ?

Cost effective ? Cost effective ?

Cost effective this :

Little girl who fell head-first into scalding bath water after having 321 operations

( Photo of burns etc in link )

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2266381/Miracle-recovery-little-girl-scalded-bath-water--321st-operation.html

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gctest50 wrote: »
    You need a TMV anyway - what if the stat in the new immersion sticks ?

Yes, it could stick but not likely.
    If genuinely concerned about this it would be easier to install 2 in series.

Cost effective ?

Yes, heating water that is too hot to use is wasteful.
    Installing an immersion with a stat is cheap and will prevent costly overheating of water.

No harm in installing a TMV too for extra safety, but the stat will pay for itself quite quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Hot water temperatures that do not cause scalding are ideal for the legionella bacteria to grow in a water system, but hot water temperatures that kill the legionella bacteria will cause scalding.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

gctest50 wrote: »
    Hot water temperatures that do not cause scalding are ideal for the legionella bacteria to grow in a water system, but hot water temperatures that kill the legionella bacteria will cause scalding.

Unnecessary.
    Deliberately heating water in the hot water cylinder to temperatures that can scald is not normal practice in Ireland as far as i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

you can buy a replacement stat like yours on ebay for less than 15 quid

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭SeanMacEoin

you can buy a replacement stat like yours on ebay for less than 15 quid

Hi Red Ace - I can't find an otter replacement stat on eBay but can find the more modern Backer stat. Is this what you found also?
    I wonder Is it possible to fit backer stat to existing Otter fitting. Probably not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

Ideally get the existing stat removed and measure its length and diameter and then email the supplier to see if the replacement measures up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

Wearb wrote: »
    Has this recently changed? Or has it been like this for 20 years?

429685.jpg
    This is one with a thermostat.

You could always fit a pipe/cylinder stat to control it.

NOTE: The wiring on the image above is incorrect.

Why have you posted this image?

• Advertisement
Advertisement