Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday planning thread.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

lordgoat wrote: »
    Hey guys, been avoiding this forum for a month but... getting keys to new house tomorrow hopefully and yes the fun can really start.

I plan on putting in a decent wired network to start - Probably Ubiquiti, have it in work and it's really solid and I like the UI alot. So I'll be keeping an eye out for their stuff in sales as well as a big roll of cat 6!

Smoke/Carbon monoxide alarms - Thinking Nest but any other recommendations?

Thermostat - I know it's Gas Heating and there's underfloor but no idea on if it's plumbed in zones yet so need but again thinking Nest

Oh and a belt sander!

I have Heatmiser controlling 4 underfloor zones, one upstairs radiator zone and hot water. Has been very good. Although if already plumbed they’ll have put in some kind of control system anyway, usually underfloor is well zoned.

Have 5 nest protects and they are fine, except some issues with one in the kitchen which really should juts have a heat sensor, but couldn’t do that as required all units to be linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The only thing i need is a smart thermostat. Looking for one that has connected TVRs.

Im sure ill end up with loads more Hue products i dont actually need.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

I'm going to add a new NAS to my list, QNAP or synology and a POE switch.

and maybe a small comms cabinet to put them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Any indications on where yo get a google home as part of a black Friday deal ?

I see us prices for them, but anything that can be bought in the UK or here under black Friday deal ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Any indications on where yo get a google home as part of a black Friday deal ?

I see us prices for them, but anything that can be bought in the UK or here under black Friday deal ?

I'm waiting on the same, but nothing yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    I only have Philips lamps and hue go.

BTW You should double check that these will work with the Echo Plus, it seems to be only Hue bulbs from what I can tell.

Review of the Echo Plus is up and it doesn't look great for what you are looking for:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/10/16631956/amazon-echo-plus-alexa-smart-home-review
    But at the same time, the Plus’ capabilities with those gadgets are limited. For example, many Philips Hue lights support a full color spectrum and can be adjusted with the Hue app. But the Plus can only adjust their brightness and turn them on or off. To be able to change their color, you need the Hue Bridge, which defeats the purpose of connecting them through the Plus to begin with.

I'm sure it will improve in time, but it might be a case of always playing catch up with the Hue bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

I'm after Netatmo Presence and TRVs.

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Bit late to the thread, but if anyone has previously bought stuff on deals/prime day, it might be a nice idea to try include those prices, so other can gauge when something is/isn't a deal.

Personally i'm not after much. It's been an expensive year.
    Wouldn't mind a set of E14 bulbs for the bedside lockers and a google home mini, that's about it.

Previous prices:
    Hue Starter kits: £89.99 on prime day (30% off)
    TP Link HS100: £16.19 on prime day
    Hue motion sensors: ~£16 on prime day I think
    Google Home: £99 from PC World
    Philips Hue White Ambiance Personal Wireless Lighting 5.5 W GU10 LED Twin Pack Spot Lights - Think these were ~£25-£30 on prime day.
    Amazon Fire Stick - £29.99
    Amazon Echo - £80
    Amazon Echo Dot - £35

Great idea Black Knight. I'll have to dig through my Amazon history. Though it can be a bit difficult to figure out the actual price if there was more then one item on your amazon order, they sort of hide it!

But one trick is to always check the price on uk.camelcamelcamel.com you can then see how it compares to the past on amazon. Though camel can miss some of the previous prime deals because they are available for so little time. But still a good guide.

Another idea is to sign up to Prime now if you can for free for 30 days. Some deals are PRime only or are available 30 minutes earlier to prime members.

List is certainly not exhaustive, but some previous deals I got, all Amazon.co.uk unless otherwise stated:

- Nvidia Shield TV: £99
    - Logitech Harmony Elite Remote: £140
    - Logitech Harmony Ultimate: £140
    - Logitech UE Boom 2: £63 (from Amazon Warehouse)
    - Logitech Circle Camera: £69
    - Echo: £100
    - Echo Dot: £37
    - Netatmo Thermostat: £110
    - Hue Colour E27 Bulb: £35
    - Hue Colour GU10: £37.50
    - Hue Dimmer Switch + White Bulb: £24

Plus I've been in on the other Hue deals that Black Knight mentioned above. Plus have a Google Home, though I paid full price for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Was looking at these. Down to £28 on Black Friday last year so might be of interest.

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-tkb-tz69e-wall-plug-switch-meter-gen5-uk

SachaJ wrote: »
    Was looking at these. Down to £28 on Black Friday last year so might be of interest.

http://www.vesternet.com/z-wave-tkb-tz69e-wall-plug-switch-meter-gen5-uk

AFAIR TP-link's HS110 meter sockets were £26 on prime day. Though at €35 in Harvey Norman it's not much of a saving.

+1 for camelcamelcamel, though it's not the best at capturing these limited time deals.

AFAIR TP-link's HS110 meter sockets were £26 on prime day. Though at €35 in Harvey Norman it's not much of a saving.

+1 for camelcamelcamel, though it's not the best at capturing these limited time deals.

The TP-Link ones are not Z-wave and don't integrate with HomeSeer. Otherwise they do look good.

The TP-Link ones are not Z-wave and don't integrate with HomeSeer. Otherwise they do look good.

No way im googling that. Last thing I need are more things adding to my black Friday list.

No way im googling that. Last thing I need are more things adding to my black Friday list.

You’re right, you shouldn’t. Or else you’d discover that the software is 50% off at the moment and the hardware controllers are around 20% off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

You’re right, you shouldn’t. Or else you’d discover that the software is 50% off at the moment and the hardware controllers are around 20% off.

I had homseer years ago, loved it.

Went looking when you mentioned it earlier, and was very tempted, only thing is, it doesn't have a velbus plugin, which is my lighting system.

I did google it and a guy had a video oh himseer working with velbus but I can't find out how he did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Just came across this which may be an indication of what to expect from Amazon ....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

The main thing I'm hoping for is a good deal on the Ring doorbell. Other than that it will all depend on how I feel on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

tonc76 wrote: »
    Just came across this which may be an indication of what to expect from Amazon ....

Amazon Cam getting $20 discount and it's not available here yet :( dam I'd wish they'd hurry up already

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

Where are people shopping for deals (online obviously) on black friday? I am looking to pick up a google home or mini but i doubt amazon would be doing a deal on them.

• Advertisement

tweek84 wrote: »
    Where are people shopping for deals (online obviously) on black friday? I am looking to pick up a google home or mini but i doubt amazon would be doing a deal on them.

Amazon don't sell them so you won't get a deal there.

tweek84 wrote: »

For the Google gear, Argus.co.uk, PC World, or the Google store will likely have these deals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

According to hukd...

Echo will be £69 from midnight tonight, Echo £35

Google Home £79, Mini £34

3rw0dy.jpg

Parcel Motel HQ right now:
    giphy.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

Lads I live in an apartment which has inefficient radiators, so I just use heating fans. I had an echo dot but gave it away because I was only using it for Spotify. Is there anything I should be looking out for in the sales or is there no point, since I won't be using any of it for heating?

Lads I live in an apartment which has inefficient radiators, so I just use heating fans. I had an echo dot but gave it away because I was only using it for Spotify. Is there anything I should be looking out for in the sales or is there no point, since I won't be using any of it for heating?

Yes.... but also no.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Is ao.com known to be legit and reliable? Never heard of it before. Is it in eu? Or are we likely to be stung with duty/VAT?

kenmc wrote: »
    Is ao.com known to be legit and reliable? Never heard of it before. Is it in eu? Or are we likely to be stung with duty/VAT?

Plenty of advertising for them on UK TV. As far as I'm aware they are a UK company.

• Advertisement

kenmc wrote: »

Thinking the same tomorrow for the GHome

Advertisement