Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday planning thread.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

kenmc wrote: »
    Is ao.com known to be legit and reliable? Never heard of it before. Is it in eu? Or are we likely to be stung with duty/VAT?

U.K. Well known and excellent videos for some products. Got my washing machine and dryer from them this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

https://9to5toys.com/2017/11/14/best-black-friday-2017-google/

Probably just replace $ with £ and assume the retailers over this side will be the likes of Argos, Curry’s, AO etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I will hopefully be able to set up a smart switch/relay to boost the ventilation if the indoor air quality drops below healthy levels.

What about homey,

Pop a SONOFF on the supply side

You lightwaverf will work on it too with no need for a hub

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lads I live in an apartment which has inefficient radiators, so I just use heating fans. I had an echo dot but gave it away because I was only using it for Spotify. Is there anything I should be looking out for in the sales or is there no point, since I won't be using any of it for heating?

You can control your electric heating.

Look at the 3KW electric wall switch cw thermostat from lightwaverf, perfect for panel heating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

https://www.johnlewis.com/search?Ntt=google+home&Nty=1&_requestid=3158120

John Lewis deal live also... picked up another two full size ones

Will John Lewis ship to PM?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

currys uk have it a GBP 78 and free shipping to parcelmotel.
    can pay with paypal too

It's up on Ao.com at 79, but I'm not sure if they do paypal and i didn't have my credit card with me. Currys will do me fine so

SachaJ wrote: »

have done previously for me

Maplin UK might be the best offer. GH is £79.99 but get a £5 voucher if you spend £40 or a £10 voucher if you spend £80.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭SemperFidelis

Echo is down to £69.99
    Echio dot £34.99

On Amazon

• Moderators Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

currys uk have it a GBP 78 and free shipping to parcelmotel.
    can pay with paypal too

It's up on Ao.com at 79, but I'm not sure if they do paypal and i didn't have my credit card with me. Currys will do me fine so

ao.com charging £15 to deliver to NI. I went with Argos in the end.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ao.com charging £15 to deliver to NI. I went with Argos in the end.

I was going to try argos, but it seemed weird. I was buying both a mini and a home, but they were going to give free delivery on the home and charge for delivery for the mini! Plus it looked like send them out on two separate days, so two separate PM charges. Went with currys instead, totally free delivery and looks like might come together.

Fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭JazzyJ

I ordered from them, but my order was just cancelled :mad:. No explanation in their email at all. It was looking for a UK phone number, so I just copied the example number they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Maplin UK might be the best offer. GH is £79.99 but get a £5 voucher if you spend £40 or a £10 voucher if you spend £80.

Find anything for a £ to push it over the edge? I found some ps3 cables for .99 bringing it to £79.99.. Damn you Maplin!

Also...general consensus is GHome > Alexa at the moment from browsing both threads :P?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭bren2001

JazzyJ wrote: »
    I ordered from them, but my order was just cancelled :mad:. No explanation in their email at all. It was looking for a UK phone number, so I just copied the example number they had.

Whatever forwarding service you use (PM, PW etc.), I just bang in their phone number.

Hmm, my order is in processing for the last 2hrs or so. I ordered stuff from them last year to PM with no issues.

For phone number, I picked landline which does not check the number format

• Registered Users Posts: 65,469 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Echo Dot is £34.99 now. Nice xmas gift. My kids had hours of fun with it last year and I used it to switch all xmas lights on and off "Alexa, lights off"

Haven't really used it since then though :o

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

bk wrote: »
    Fingers crossed it doesn't get cancelled.
    Don't say that! Why would it get cancelled? Have you had them cancel before?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

I'd love to buy a Google home but currently have a Sonos play 1 in the kitchen which I love. I'm thinking having both would be a bit of a waste since they don't work together.

I currently have 6 philips hue lights, Nvidia shield tv and also plan to get smart heating to replace Climote. So I do want the Google Home. I currently get good use from Google assistant on my OP3.

Has anyone been in a similar position or have both devices that can better advise?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Don't say that! Why would it get cancelled? Have you had them cancel before?

My first time ordering from Currys, but someone just had their order from John Lewis cancelled, it happens from some UK stores, hard to tell which and when.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I used my employer's UK office. Been processing for the past two hours. Fingers crossed

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    I'd love to buy a Google home but currently have a Sonos play 1 in the kitchen which I love. I'm thinking having both would be a bit of a waste since they don't work together.

Well I think direct support for Google Home is coming to the Sonos One (different from your Play 1) next year.

Also if you had a Sonos Connect with audio in, then you could use a mini with a CCA plugged into the sonos.

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4251/~/google-home-and-sonos

So if you wait, you could have options to integrate the two in future.

I suspect if you buya Google Home, even though the sound quality probably isn't as good, you'll end up using it 80% of the time over the Sonos due to just the convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Ordered a Home Mini this morning direct from Google via Address Pal. Shipped already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

3 minis and a home

echo and dot will be on adverts soon if all goes well :D

Security cameras, out door initially, recommendations for the ghome?

Also on my list:

2 x hue switch
    2 x hive plug
    1 x security camera
    1 x chrome cast

GaryCocs, I'm not sure the Hive plugs work with GHome (maybe using IFTTT), you should check. TP Link HS100 smart plugs work well with Ghome.

For camera, maybe keep an eye on the new Logitech Circle waterproof cam. Has some support for Ghome and casting video to chromecast. I haven't checked, but I'm sure Nest cams work well with GHome too, but expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Any decent IP cams without cloud support?

matrim wrote: »
    Any decent IP cams without cloud support?

Netatmo Cameras are worth keeping an eye out for. They record to SD card and have the option to upload video to your dropbox or own ftp server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

bk wrote: »
    Netatmo Cameras are worth keeping an eye out for. They record to SD card and have the option to upload video to your dropbox or own ftp server.

I'm not really interested in recording. More streaming of the video to a local IP so I can connect over VPN and check up on the dog.

I currently use android IP webcam and it works fine but I've heard some people say that after a few months their phone batteries started to overhead from constantly being on charge.

Advertisement