Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Black Friday planning thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

matrim wrote: »
    I'm not really interested in recording. More streaming of the video to a local IP so I can connect over VPN and check up on the dog.

I currently use android IP webcam and it works fine but I've heard some people say that after a few months their phone batteries started to overhead from constantly being on charge.

Would you not just set up a raspberry pi with a picam or a webcam attached?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

kenmc wrote: »
    Would you not just set up a raspberry pi with a picam or a webcam attached?

It's an option but I'd like something that looked decent as it will be in the hall

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Xiaomi make a selection of very cheap IP cams, worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

bk wrote: »
    Well I think direct support for Google Home is coming to the Sonos One (different from your Play 1) next year.
    <snip>
    yep, it is.

Sonos have currently just support for Alexa but they have designed the interfaces to support any voice assistant and Google home is on the way.

Ditching Sonos because at this moment they dont support something is very rash.
    When I got Sonos first, 10years and a month ago, they hadn't any streaming services, they only supported mp3 radio streams (and then you still had to add them yourself) so no RTE or BBC radio, the only controller was the clunky sonos controller with old iPod style wheel, you needed to attach one of your players to a wired LAN connection (and sonos bridge didnt exist) etc etc

Yet all that was introduced/ got implemented and the piece of kit that I bought 10 years ago is still going strong and is more useful than ever.

So, give Sonos a chance. If they said support for google home is coming, then it will and you just have to have a little paitence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

matrim wrote: »
    It's an option but I'd like something that looked decent as it will be in the hall
    Could you use the webcam as the 'decent looking bit' and then hide the pi somewhere out of sight? It'd give you the advantage of being something else as well, e.g. could be running openHab or mqtt broker or something besides just being a camera.
    But that's just me being the control freak and wanting to have full ownership of as much as possible....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

Im looking for some Hive bulbs. I don't even need the doors sensors, but I wouldn't be surprised if i end up with ten if they go on sale....the usual impulse buying :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

So best outdoor cam with google home integration?

Nest looks cheaper than netatamo and not far off Logitech circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Some info on what Amazon are doing in the States. Guessing a lot of the same in the UK

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17000904-tvs-toys-tablets-amazon-s-black-friday-deals-sneak-peek

Also thinking I’m might pick up a couple of their 10” tablets for wall mounting since Imperihome runs on FireOS. I have three of the 7” Tablets already.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

GaryCocs wrote: »
    So best outdoor cam with google home integration?

Nest looks cheaper than netatamo and not far off Logitech circle.

Just watch out for the subscription. Nest really needs a monthly sub to do anything useful, while Logitech circle cameras can do a lot on the free tier (24 hours of recordings, etc.).

Depends on what you want to do with it, but you may end up paying a lot more over the years for Nest cams if you have to sub too it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

SachaJ wrote: »
    Some info on what Amazon are doing in the States. Guessing a lot of the same in the UK

https://seekingalpha.com/pr/17000904-tvs-toys-tablets-amazon-s-black-friday-deals-sneak-peek

Also thinking I’m might pick up a couple of their 10” tablets for wall mounting since Imperihome runs on FireOS. I have three of the 7” Tablets already.
    the discounted tablets are already at similar prices on amazon.de .

a Fire 7-Tablet for 55 Euro, with €15 more off at checkout for prime customers bring the end price to 39.99 !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Just watch out for the subscription. Nest really needs a monthly sub to do anything useful, while Logitech circle cameras can do a lot on the free tier (24 hours of recordings, etc.).

Depends on what you want to do with it, but you may end up paying a lot more over the years for Nest cams if you have to sub too it.

I am wary about that all right.

As for functionality I don't think I have the need to go back to last week and see anything. But I would need email and app notification of people arriving, voice over it and stream to the chrome cast. What do you reckon?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I am wary about that all right.

As for functionality I don't think I have the need to go back to last week and see anything. But I would need email and app notification of people arriving, voice over it and stream to the chrome cast. What do you reckon?

You'll need to double check, one thing straight off that I don't like is that they don't make it at all clear what is and isn't included.

I think the free tier is very hobbled. I think you gets notifications, but they only show a snapshot when it detects movement (note not video) and the snapshot is only kept for 3 hours.

I do think you can watch live for free and I would assume, but not certain that you could talk to people over it. Also I would assume it can cast, but again not certain.

Other things you lose is advanced notifications, these only send notifications when only people are dedicated, versus say a passing cat and the ability to ignore certain areas of the cameras view. May not be issues for you, but FYI.

To me, I feel Nest Cams are only worth it if you know for certain that you will pay the sub and happy to do so. Otherwise it seems too hobbled. Lots of other good systems that offer a lot more on the free tiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,116 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You'll need to double check, one thing straight off that I don't like is that they don't make it at all clear what is and isn't included.

I think the free tier is very hobbled. I think you gets notifications, but they only show a snapshot when it detects movement (note not video) and the snapshot is only kept for 3 hours.

I do think you can watch live for free and I would assume, but not certain that you could talk to people over it. Also I would assume it can cast, but again not certain.

Other things you lose is advanced notifications, these only send notifications when only people are dedicated, versus say a passing cat and the ability to ignore certain areas of the cameras view. May not be issues for you, but FYI.

To me, I feel Nest Cams are only worth it if you know for certain that you will pay the sub and happy to do so. Otherwise it seems too hobbled. Lots of other good systems that offer a lot more on the free tiers.

I was all set on the Nest Cameras but I'm going the Amazon Cam route now. Seems a lot of tech for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I've two dots, think I'm going to give Google mini a try, or maybe home, can't decide.

As mentioned in the bargains thread, the Logitech Circle camera on Amazon UK is buy 2 get 20% off both.

Echo Plus down to £109.99 from tomorrow I believe

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

TP link plugs seem to be reduced today. Does anyone know if you can use ImperiHome app with those plugs? or do you have to use their own Kasa app?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

xiaomi smart phillips LED bulbs for 6.76
    Came through this morning on a mail.
    hopefully the link below will give you the 71% off

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Philips-Smart-LED-Ball-Lamp-White-383128.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=EDM&utm_content=&utm_campaign=DMCAH_holiday_20171124

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

lardarse wrote: »

https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-Philips-Smart-LED-Ball-Lamp-White-383128.html?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=EDM&utm_content=&utm_campaign=DMCAH_holiday_20171124
    Do these work with Philips Hue?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

lardarse wrote: »

Anyone know if they work with Hive? Tried the internet for info buy no use

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

All in all a disappointing days for me;

My list with what I purchased;

- tp link smart switch- already have an energy monitoring one so was looking for a basic one for around €20 delivered, in the end got another energy monitoring one (which I didn’t need) for £20 plus parcel motel so a disappointment at around €25.

- HUE motion sensor and another lightstrip - very disappointed in the bundle deals(I don’t want another hub / gu10) so no purchase.

- Netatmo - hoping for €100 delivered, best I could find was £93 plus parcel motel (prime exclusive so only free postage to UK) so about €110 all in

- DIY tools / kitchen appliances, I always spend a few hundred on impulse buys, nothing interested me this year so zero spend.

The whole prime account thing pissed me off more than ever this year (postage is a joke) so think I might give cyber Monday a break

Yes, it is disappointing the way they are building everything, either with the Hue bridge or with Echo's

I've bought nothing HA related today! But then, I don't have much left to buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

I had my hopes built up for some Fibaro stuff and Netgear switches. Neither reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Not a lot picked up this time around. A few extra hive bulbs and sensors, a rpi and pi camera to set up as a dedicated home assistant machine and Reolink outdoor camera which will replace one of the withings home cams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I got the hue gu10 colours.
    and 4 white non Philips hue ready gu10s
    Got a wireless switch.

Picked up a levano yogo book too.

The harmony remote was good value but I didn't go for it

Picked up two cameras too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭THE ALM

Typical, ordered a reolink poe camera on Friday only for it to be reduced today, of which I have ordered another one.

Sent an email to Amazon, hopefully they will honour the price being offered today as the items haven't been dispatched/charged yet, fingers crossed. C'est la vie :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭tweek84

@Stoner what cameras did you buy?

@ The ALM those reolink cameras look fairly good is there any means of recording if you don't have a NVR is there capacity for a memory card?

- Google Home Mini
    - Hue Motion Sensor x 2
    - Hue Dimmer Switch
    - Logitech Circle 2 Camera (warehouse deal)

Plus lots of other non HA items, mostly gifts for others, most Xmas shopping sorted :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Google Home
    Google Home Mini
    Google Chromecast
    Philips Hue starter kit with 3 B27 colour bulbs and Hub(only wanted one bulb but it was a good deal and may actually use two of them straight away now)

Had hoped that the Nest Protects would be on offer but no sign of them being reduced.

On a side note I was very tempted to go for a 10.5 inch IPad Pro. Curry’s/ Harvey Norman etc have them on offer with 10% off in their shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Picked up
    Ghome
    Ghome mini
    3x colour E27 Hues starter pack
    1x colour E14 hue
    12 gu10 ambiance (3 for 2 twin pack offers)
    Hue switch

Was close to pulling trigger on a harmony elite and the triple pack arlo cams.
    But credit card was burning at that point and I had reservations about arlo.

Also got the following as gifts
    WD NAS
    Sonos 1
    Ghome

Busy week.

Advertisement