Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Accommodation forum.

Options
  • 06-11-2017 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭

I requested ban from accommodation forum so that I may enter resolution forum in line with dispute resolution requirments i.e. I need to dispute a direction from Moderator but can not do so until I am banned according to your workflow diagram. Can the flowchart be changed?

I request immediate lifting of ban as only purpose of being banned was to enter dispute resolution.

A poster opened up a thread with the intention to illicit sympathy and complain about an unnamed lodger making groundless accussations that the lodger was of poor character. I and other posters countered with reasoned arguements as to why the poster was being unfair to this unnamed person.
    The OP persisted.
    As the thread had run its course the thread really should have been closed by the moderator but OP persisted still further with a "poor old me" line of posting and continued insinuation that the lodger was of low character. the platform that is boards.ie should not be abused like this.
    I responded with some hard but fair truths and the Moderator who had previously been ignoring the thread then decides to infract me and warn me not to post to the thread again. hard but fair truths are not incivility.
    The Moderator's reason for infracting me is false and the infraction and moderator direction to me should be removed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The first step is to attempt to enagage with the mod via PM, in order to try to arrive at an amicable resolution. Can you confirm if you have attempted to do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Did that.

Has the moderator responded to you via PM?

The moderator has stopped engaging.

Right, thanks for letting me know. I'll ask a CMod to step in now and take a look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

What's the story with this guys? Did he ask for a ban so he could open a DRP? If it has a problem with moderation without receiving a card or a ban it should be in Help Desk.

I'm not having a go at anyone - just confused & seeking clarity. :o

I received a warning which I feel to be unjustified so I have a dispute with the moderator of the forum but the dispute can't proceed to dispute resolution because I wasn't banned so I politely asked to be banned.

The moderator has since then tidied up the thread and locked it which is something that should have been done much earlier as the OP had received multiple responses but insisted on pushing the agenda that she was entirely reasonable and the lodger unreasonable to expect to be able to continue using the common rooms in the residence and unreasonable to expect she would have some say as to whether a stranger would live under the same roof.

Thanks for the clarification. A couple of things though...

1. You can open a DRP to contest a card. There was no need to request a ban.
    2. The ban shouldn't have been given to allow you circumvent what you thought were the rules of this forum.
    3. If you have a specific issue with moderation that does not involve a card or a ban - start a thread in Help Desk.

So, do you wish to contest the card here in DRP OR do you wish to raise an issue with forum moderation in Help Desk?

Dispute resolution please.

The blue bar at the top only refers to ban, not infraction and I concentrated on the flowchart when deciding what to do.

Ok, a CMod will look into whether the card was justified or not based on your actions in the thread.

• Advertisement

I've been in touch with the mod & can clarify that you were given the one week ban - not because you requested it, but because you ignored mod instruction.

I had lifted this ban earlier thinking that it was given at your request. I will be reinstating it now.

I believe that you have yet to contact the mod abou this. Please attempt to discuss this whole issue with the mod to see if it can be resolved. If it can't come back here & let a CMod know.

I requested ban so as to enter this process.
    Can you see what I'm up against here. He says he banned me. I asked to be banned to enter the dispute resolution process and entered a comment on thread that it shouldn't be construed as a show of defiance against the moderator.
    Now can you understand why I'm not able to resolve issue with the moderator concerned.

I can't help it if the moderator wishes to misrepresent the train of events after they edited the thread to their pleasing.

I have contacted the moderator and I have also used the "report post" buttons concerning Ad Hominem attacks on me on thread.

You do not have to be banned to enter DRP. That was a misunderstanding on your part,

As I said earlier, I have contacted the CMods and one will be along shortly to review your complaint. Please be prepared to share your PM conversation with the mod with the CMod.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi OP, can you forward on any pm exchanges you had with the mods relating to this issue, thanks.

sent.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Hi 737max, I've read the thread, including any deleted posts, reviewed the reported posts and also the pm exchange.

Firstly I'll note that you said that you tried to resolve this with the mod via pm - you pm actually continued to argue the position you took on the thread, and there was no attempt at resolution with the mod.

Second point to note is that Boards moderators do not give out bans on request. They are only issued when there are breaches of charter or when a site rule is breached. You were banned for a week due to ignoring the mod instruction- NOT because you asked for the ban. You also would have deserved the ban for the personal abuse that you aimed towards the OP in the post that was deleted. You were asked on the thread not to post again, yet you did, twice. Once to post personal abuse towards the OP and the second time to request to be self-banned.

You made several accusations towards the OP from your very first post on that thread - accusing them of trolling. Correct procedure if you feel an OP is genuine is to report the post and let the mod look into it. Your second and third posts also were uncivil and continuing to accuse the OP of trolling.

Even right up to and including the post that earned you the yellow card warning, the OP responded to you civilly and politely. You then accused them of using a disability to curry sympathy when the only reason they discussed it was to respond to your accusation that they only cared about the money.

And STILL the OP responded to you politely and civilly.

From what I've read, you breach the charter in multiple ways,and at multiple times during that short thread:
    Accusing the OP of trolling /not being genuine.
    Making personal digs (trolling, goading)
    Being uncivil.
    Backseat modding
    Not obeying mod instruction.

The procedure across the site is clear - no personal abuse, be civil, and if you have an issue with a poster or a post, report it and let a mod deal with it.

Therefore I'm upholding both the yellow card, and I'm upholding the ban.

As expected.
    If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him.
    Cardinal Richelieu

I permit you to post the PM information between myself and the moderator. In particular the second message to the moderator.

I also permit you to post the messages from me which the moderator deleted which I no longer have access to.

An outsider reading your pronouncements in the absence of the substance would think I'm terrible. Don't you agree.

I don't agree - people can easily find the thread and read what you wrote to the OP by themselves. And make their own minds up.

The deleted post contained unpleasant and unfounded allegations towards the op. This is personal abuse. The replies to the moderator also continued those allegations. This is personal abuse. I will not be reprinting them here.

You are entitled to request an admin review at this stage. You can do so by saying it on this thread.

Sorry, not going to get myself worked up and proceed any further. It isn't a sub-forum which I visit much.

It is just such a shame that an OP can subtlely drive an agenda and tar the reputation of lodgers and Moderators don't intercede and guard the integrity of the forum. When challenged on it boards.ie circles the wagon and the person who complains is victimised.

• Advertisement

OP - you clearly ignored moderator instructions and hence you were banned. You have not been victimised, although I do realise you may prefer to believe that rather than admit that your behaviour was not up to scratch.

Marking this as resolved as the OP does not want an Admin review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement