Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on equipment/brews

Options
  • 06-11-2017 12:08pm

Sorry if this information is already somewhere on the forum, but I have made a few brews with a kit i got last Christmas (think this is one http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/superior-beer-cider-starter-kit-includes-25lt-fermenters-p-1007.html) mainly using coopers larger and ale kits and want to try out new stuff and want to start making stouts & IPAs.

Was also thinking about starting to use extracts kits and making partial mashes and just wondering what other equipment & ingredients will I need? If adding flavors such as chocolate/vanilla to stouts or a addtional hops to IPA what do you need to do?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For extract you need a means of boiling and chilling the wort. A large stockpot will do, but it's awkward. Personally I'd jump straight to getting a boiler and chiller, assuming you have outside space to brew in. Partial mashes you can do in a stockpot, you just need some muslin or cheesecloth for straining the wort.

Dry hopping can be done by just throwing the hops in a week before bottling. Additional flavours I would add to the fermenter with the yeast for maximum infusion time. I'd usually give whatever it is a quick boil in a small amount of water before throwing it in.

Advertisement