Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic changes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

BBM77 wrote: »
    Yes it goes from the top of Castle St to NewgateSt/Stephen St junction.

Seems to be marked as Cross Lane on Google Maps mistakenly for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,681 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

heard traffic was very poor this evening around the city, can others confirm?

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Wanderer78 wrote:

Canon Street was bumper to bumper the whole way to Ashe Road around 6pm. We gave up at the roundabout by City Vets and went back home. It has NEVER been like that before.
    Was down around Bath Street today. 3 cars turned that way from the Morris's side. I thought there was meant to be people out helping guide the traffic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I was coming up Bath street yesterday and seen two cars turning right coming down bunkers hill they just drove out around the new island thats there

• Registered Users Posts: 43 mexicanvader

Wanderer78 wrote: »

There was a minor collision at the Tramore Road / Supervalu roundabout. Two cars pulled in on the left side at the exit near Mr Price/K&D/Party World. Garda car was there taking details I presume. That seemed to be the cause of the hold-up in traffic. A small slow down at one end multiplies the problems at the other end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

smaoifs wrote: »
    Was down around Bath Street today. 3 cars turned that way from the Morris's side.
    I was coming up Bath street yesterday and seen two cars turning right coming down bunkers hill they just drove out around the new island thats there

And yet - it's always the cyclists being blamed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I don't remember anyone blaming cyclists for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

There was a minor collision at the Tramore Road / Supervalu roundabout. Two cars pulled in on the left side at the exit near Mr Price/K&D/Party World. Garda car was there taking details I presume. That seemed to be the cause of the hold-up in traffic. A small slow down at one end multiplies the problems at the other end.

I was thinking that alright. Found it hard to believe that the changes to the manor etc would cause hold ups. If anything, anytime I drove through traffic was moving quicker.

beazee wrote: »
    And yet - it's always the cyclists being blamed...

Nobody said anything about cyclists

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

I drove down the Manor from Parnell St and encountered the new layout for the first time this morning. Very smooth driving imo. There is however the potential for initial teething difficulties with regards to the new layout with driver confusion (especially the two lane flow around the back of Railway Sq and choosing the right lane). Other than that I was pleasantly surprised!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

JohnC. wrote: »
    I don't remember anyone blaming cyclists for that.
    Nobody said anything about cyclists

Yeah, it was me who put cyclists into this thread.
    For future reference.

[RANT ON]

But generally, anytime cyclists are mentioned - there it goes:
    - they don't stop at red
    - they cycle the wrong way...

Cyclists (as a group) are blamed for whatever wrongdoing possible.

And here we have a thread (could be first ever on Waterford forum) where car drivers are mentioned on multiple occasions driving against the new layout of the junction.

And I do see the clear distinction between "those few who do it" against the "whole general group" of such mode of transport users.

I am both - a cyclist and a driver - and it infuriates me when I am put together with those few cycling in a bad manner.

Fcuk off! Some car drives can be knobheads to the same level some cyclists are.

[RANT OVER]

Thank you for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

The amount of people driving straight when in the lane to turn left and up bunker hills is a joke. Only a matter of time before a car in the wrong lane clips someone in the correct lane heading onto the manor

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

wendydoll wrote: »
    The amount of people driving straight when in the lane to turn left and up bunker hills is a joke. Only a matter of time before a car in the wrong lane clips someone in the correct lane heading onto the manor

Agreed, I was driving along there last night and was in correct lane to drive along manor street towards Parnell street when a car sped up the left hand lane and went straight on to manor street, cutting in front of me. Maybe a sign post showing correct lanes near the topaz might help, I know there are road markings but I don't think sign posts. Hopefully people will get used to new lanes, etc because it does seem to be flowing much better down there

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭wendydoll

Deisegodeo wrote: »
    Agreed, I was driving along there last night and was in correct lane to drive along manor street towards Parnell street when a car sped up the left hand lane and went straight on to manor street, cutting in front of me. Maybe a sign post showing correct lanes near the topaz might help, I know there are road markings but I don't think sign posts. Hopefully people will get used to new lanes, etc because it does seem to be flowing much better down there

There's a massive light up sign before entrance to community care office telling you the lanes are changed and the arrows freshly painted on the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Finally used this junction today - came down Bunkers Hill (not actually remembering the change at the bottom and of course nothing at the top to warn!), so went left on a pointing flashing amber signal which alone freaks some drivers out I suspect, then swung round past Tesco took the left lane and home through Polbury. All a bit of a mess to be honest. I wonder how the few residents of Bath Street are finding it with trucks suddenly in much greater number idling outside at the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭914

I wonder how the few residents of Bath Street are finding it with trucks suddenly in much greater number idling outside at the lights.

I'd also wonder how the redisents of the Manor are finding it now that they have a far greater reduction in traffic and safer street, also the residents of bunkers hill as tail backs now seem to be non existing there.

As the filter arrow is almost always on at bath street (will only turn red for pedestrian lights) there shouldn't be too much idling outside their homes one would hope.

914 wrote: »
    I'd also wonder how the redisents of the Manor are finding it now that they have a far greater reduction in traffic and safer street, also the residents of bunkers hill as tail backs now seem to be non existing there.

As the filter arrow is almost always on at bath street (will only turn red for pedestrian lights) there shouldn't be too much idling outside their homes one would hope.

I'd wonder how the cork rd/hennessey's rd/rice park/castle st/ residents are finding the increase in traffic making the narrow streets more dangerous than they were before all these changes and forced more people to use these roads to avoid the whole manor area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I'd wonder how the cork rd/hennessey's rd/rice park/castle st/ residents are finding the increase in traffic making the narrow streets more dangerous than they were before all these changes and forced more people to use these roads to avoid the whole manor area.

Nobody is being forced around the narrower roads. There is a wider road around the updated bath street/poleberry/manor street and the traffic is free flowing for most parts. Those who think they're better at going different ways now will soon discover they're better off going the new way.

Even coming down bunkers hill and you wanted to go right - you would sometimes be in that queue to turn for nearly 2 or 3 iterations of the lights (could take up to 5 mins, especially if a car doesn't go into that box to turn right correctly). Now you can freely move around manor street and bath street, and unless there is pedestrians crossing - you're guaranteed to be on the cork road in quicker time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I have to say so far I havent seen much of a hold up coming down by Topaz. Iv only gone around by Poleberry twice and it was fine. Iv yet to come down Bunkers Hill.

iseegirls wrote: »
    Nobody is being forced around the narrower roads. There is a wider road around the updated bath street/poleberry/manor street and the traffic is free flowing for most parts. Those who think they're better at going different ways now will soon discover they're better off going the new way.

I cant see how i would be better going the new way say i wanted to go out to the folly or dunmore rd from barracks st,i would go down bunkers hill across bath st and poleberry this route has two sets of lights and is the shortest way,the new way im forced down the manor and across railway sq and onto poleberry this route is longer and has three sets of lights,i dont know maybe its a better system for you but not for me.

Im all for change and to improve things around the city but i still dont believe that this system they have used is the best one,they could of done everything and still left bath st a two way street.

• Advertisement

Who is focing people to use the roads you suggest?

Why avoid the manor now that the traffic is free flowing with no tail backs?

Why anyone would go via castle street/rice park to avoid the manor makes no sense. You would now have to navigate narrow roads, speed bumps, parked cars, junctions as oppossed to just driving an extra 100/200 meters at best of free flowing traffic.

I cant see how i would be better going the new way say i wanted to go out to the folly or dunmore rd from barracks st,i would go down bunkers hill across bath st and poleberry this route has two sets of lights and is the shortest way,the new way im forced down the manor and across railway sq and onto poleberry this route is longer and has three sets of lights,i dont know maybe its a better system for you but not for me.

Im all for change and to improve things around the city but i still dont believe that this system they have used is the best one,they could of done everything and still left bath st a two way street.

How could they have done everything and left bath street two way? If they done as you suggest it would not be possible to allow free flowing traffic from the poleberry link road.

Either a stop sign or junction traffic lights (Pedestrian lights are placed there now) would have to be present at the junction of the link road and bath street, providing no benefit to the changes.

Instead of clogging the manor you would now clog up the link road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Leaving Bath Street 2 way means a buildup of traffic between poleberry and railway square, where if you wanted to have to turn right coming out from railway square onto bath street you'd have to wait until the traffic is free and stop the right of way it currently has, and that would completely stop the free flow of traffic where most of the traffic would be coming from.

Im sure the council and all their wisdom could come up with a system that left bath st a two way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

Easy for them to mess with the layout , with all the brown envelopes arriving from spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I think it’s brilliant and the sooner a lot of other streets Newport Square to name but one are made one way the better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

What was the idea around the one way system. I mean its fine but I don't see why it was needed?

Where have they moved the bus stop in front of the playground at Railway Sq?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What was the idea around the one way system. I mean its fine but I don't see why it was needed?

Where have they moved the bus stop in front of the playground at Railway Sq?

I presume the idea is pre planning for future development such as michael st etc...

I'd imagine over the coming years volume of cars may increase hence now looking for solutions as opposed to waiting.

The presvious manor layout definitely wouldn't be fit for purpose with an increase of traffic.

I presume it is also to reduce tail backs by keeping the current traffic volume flowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭BBM77

200motels wrote: »
    I think it’s brilliant and the sooner a lot of other streets Newport Square to name but one are made one way the better.

Absolutely! I mean the people complaining about the new layout on the manor must have only driven around there at the early hours of the morning.

• Advertisement

914 wrote: »
    I presume the idea is pre planning for future development such as michael st etc...

I'd imagine over the coming years volume of cars may increase hence now looking for solutions as opposed to waiting.

The presvious manor layout definitely wouldn't be fit for purpose with an increase of traffic.

I presume it is also to reduce tail backs by keeping the current traffic volume flowing.

I thought the whole point of these changes was to make Waterford a more cycle friendly city

Advertisement