Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I thought the whole point of these changes was to make Waterford a more cycle friendly city

I would hope not.

If that was the only reason then there were other options open to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I would hope not.

If that was the only reason then there were other options open to them.

It was mentioned on this thread and social media many times that it is the main reason for all the changes,i think they main goal is to turn Waterford into the cycling capital of Ireland something like Amsterdam.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

More cyclists means less cars, Less traffic, less pollution. Win win win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Means fewer people shopping in the middle and sticking to the super-dooper stores around the ring road.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Means fewer people shopping in the middle and sticking to the super-dooper stores around the ring road.

If there is less traffic it would be easier to get into town and park. More bikes will leave space for cars! That means more footfall in city. Like any European city really. Not like an American city built around the car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

More cyclists means less cars, Less traffic, less pollution. Win win win.

Unfortunately not
    the main source of pollution is open fires, and the more common trend of dirtbirds burning their rubbish spewing carcinogenic clouds onto the streets...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hoffmans wrote:
    Unfortunately not the main source of pollution is open fires, and the more common trend of dirtbirds burning their rubbish spewing carcinogenic clouds onto the streets...

Id hazard a guess and say, fossil fuel burning power stations are probably one of our main sources of air pollution, along with road vehicles, and other forms of fossil fuel burning vehicles. Has privitisation of our waste management systems helped? Should we introduce more incinerators into our waste management systems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

I thought the whole point of these changes was to make Waterford a more cycle friendly city

Maybe cyclists in general should become more cycle friendly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭beazee

Maybe cyclists in general should become more cycle friendly!

You mean, the ones you've met, they hate cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anyone know whats going on with the traffic lights at Barracks street?,they have been off for nearly a week now and im surprised there hasn't been a serious accident yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭ei9go

Why can't you go up newgate st and barrack st at the new st browns lane junction instead of being forced over to the traffic lights in the middle of bunkers hill. See people doing 3 point turns in Browns Lane to get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

ei9go wrote: »
    Why can't you go up newgate st and barrack st at the new st browns lane junction instead of being forced over to the traffic lights in the middle of bunkers hill. See people doing 3 point turns in Browns Lane to get back.

Could it be an effort to keep people/cars out of city Centre due to corona virus

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

ei9go wrote: »

Cos some idiot in the WCCC had free reign to turn the city centre into a maze. It makes absolutely no sense @ all. Dont worry it will be probably be switched back in a few years @ huge cost.

Cos some idiot in the WCCC had free reign to turn the city centre into a maze. It makes absolutely no sense @ all. Dont worry it will be probably be switched back in a few years @ huge cost.

breaking stuff creates jobs, theyre entrepreneurs really!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    breaking stuff creates jobs, theyre entrepreneurs really!

:pac::pac: Too right. Keeps someone in a job. Passed a load of Council workers up by Skibbereen Rd/Belvedere Manor the other morning re-paving a small bit of footpath. I was @ junction waiting to pull out and counted 9 fellas standing around at various points. Got to think of H&S I suppose! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Personally I think the one way systems are an improvement and that traffic flows better as a result. But there's always someone bitching about not being able to park on the doorstep of whatever shop they want to get to, or that their journey took 2 minutes longer.

Personally I think the one way systems are an improvement and that traffic flows better as a result. But there's always someone bitching about not being able to park on the doorstep of whatever shop they want to get to, or that their journey took 2 minutes longer.

Thing is the area's around Browns Lane, Rice Park, Castle Street are "residential" areas not shopping. Would you like to have to go looking for parking around your house?? Or if the road network was changed to a one way system, some cul de sacs and a few sets of traffic lights?? In fairness I would not call that bitching.

Too right. Keeps someone in a job. Passed a load of Council workers up by Skibbereen Rd/Belvedere Manor the other morning re-paving a small bit of footpath. I was @ junction waiting to pull out and counted 9 fellas standing around at various points. Got to think of H&S I suppose!

Oh don't worry, our secret private sector is just as inefficient

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99

Castle Street is a nightmare now with people doing u-turns to get up New Gate St. Now its proposed to turn Meeting House Lane into a one way system. So if I park behind the Book Center/Shaws car park I have to go down to the Quay via Gladstone St to get back to Ballybricken, remember this is the Quay that at busy times an Ambulance can't pass because they made it from two lanes each way to one lane so they could put in a few trees and expensive stone. Council definitely not making it easy to get around, and they wonder why the town is so quite 🙄🙄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

More fiddling

https://waterford-news.ie/2020/10/06/one-way-system-proposed-for-two-city-lanes/
    A ONE way traffic management system is being proposed for Meeting House Lane and Sargent’s Lane in Waterford City.

According to Waterford City and County Council the proposal would see Meeting House Lane becoming one way from its junction with Thomas Hill, in an easterly direction, and its junction with Sargent’s Lane/Jenkins Lane car park.

Vehicles exiting Jenkins lane car park would be forced to turn right on to Sargent’s Lane and right again at its junction with O’Connell Street to access the Quay via Gladstone Street.

The Council says that this proposal would improve traffic flow, while also addressing traffic safety concerns in the area. They say it will make the road safer for pedestrians/cyclists and also facilitate future development of pedestrian safety measures.

Objections or submissions may be made in writing to Aideen Jacob, Administrative Officer, Roads Department, Waterford City and County Council, City Hall, The Mall, Waterford or by email to ajacob@waterfordcouncil.ie not later than 12 noon on November 2.

one-way-system.jpg

• Advertisement

Pushing more traffic down onto the Quay seems like a bright idea alright! :rolleyes: More traffic to block Ambulances and Fire Brigades in a hurry!

Personally I think the decision to close Arundel Sq to traffic was a bad idea. It might appear pedestrian friendly but on the whole it makes the area look like a ghost town.

And anytime I drive up Alexander Street I am always expecting something to come flying down into me :eek:

Pushing more traffic down onto the Quay seems like a bright idea alright! :rolleyes: More traffic to block Ambulances and Fire Brigades in a hurry!

Personally I think the decision to close Arundel Sq to traffic was a bad idea. It might appear pedestrian friendly but on the whole it makes the area look like a ghost town.

And anytime I drive up Alexander Street I am always expecting something to come flying down into me :eek:

So traffic flowing through streets brings them back to life......?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

According to the resident epidemiological, town planning expert it is.

Asdfgh2020 wrote: »

You ever take a walk down John Roberts Square any evening? Even pre-Covid its a ghost town once the shops shut. And you can include the surrounding streets that radiate from it also.
    I am not that old but I can remember a time when you could drive up Barronstrand St/Michael St down to the traffic lights @ Johns Street. I am only talking say 20 years ago. There was plenty of life in those streets. Passing traffic, Taxi ranks, shops, restaurants, take away's & pubs open @ night. Egans, The Old Stand, Bobby McGees/Temple Bar to name but a few. People out & about enjoying the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

You ever take a walk down John Roberts Square any evening? Even pre-Covid its a ghost town once the shops shut. And you can include the surrounding streets that radiate from it also.
    I am not that old but I can remember a time when you could drive up Barronstrand St/Michael St down to the traffic lights @ Johns Street. I am only talking say 20 years ago. There was plenty of life in those streets. Passing traffic, Taxi ranks, shops, restaurants, take away's & pubs open @ night. Egans, The Old Stand, Bobby McGees/Temple Bar to name but a few. People out & about enjoying the night.

We all remember different times when cars went everywhere. Biggest change was when publicans, all you list I think, took big money from retailers or developers and sold their premises. Egan's pub being the stand out example. They sold pub, night club and hotel to Penney's for retail. Several others sold retail premises to banks and building societies. the retreat to suburbia brings a lot of down sides, particularly the lack of people living in town. I like pedestrianisation and no place in Waterford is that far from motor car access. I think the loss of teh pubs T&Hs, Egans, Old Stand, Temple Bar, City Arms was teh determining factor. They provided link from Clock Tower to Applemarket which is our main night time area.

I was in Cologne a couple of years ago. Its a huge city. The main shopping streets from the cathedral are black during the day, but almost empty at night because they are all retail single function streets. Main entertainment was in another part of the city and down by the Rhine river. I also think that the past 10 years has seen low disposable income here, after the glass factory and other places closed.

I would be interested in what people think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Deiseen

azimuth17 wrote: »
    We all remember different times when cars went everywhere. Biggest change was when publicans, all you list I think, took big money from retailers or developers and sold their premises. Egan's pub being the stand out example. They sold pub, night club and hotel to Penney's for retail. Several others sold retail premises to banks and building societies. the retreat to suburbia brings a lot of down sides, particularly the lack of people living in town. I like pedestrianisation and no place in Waterford is that far from motor car access. I think the loss of teh pubs T&Hs, Egans, Old Stand, Temple Bar, City Arms was teh determining factor. They provided link from Clock Tower to Applemarket which is our main night time area.

I was in Cologne a couple of years ago. Its a huge city. The main shopping streets from the cathedral are black during the day, but almost empty at night because they are all retail single function streets. Main entertainment was in another part of the city and down by the Rhine river. I also think that the past 10 years has seen low disposable income here, after the glass factory and other places closed.

You are exactly right in what you say. Some people seem to think that if red square wasn't pedestrianised, that it would be bustling at night time but forget that there is literally nothing there for people at night time.

I hope that the development of the North Quays provides a nice extension of the city and breaths life back into this part of town as it will now be the main route from john street - centre - north quays - ferrybank rather than just ending at the river like it does now.

Hopefully this will lead to a night time revolution in Waterford.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

I can remember "Red Square" when cars still went through town and it was ropey enough of an evening and not exactly bustling.

azimuth17 wrote: »

I’d concur with a lot of the things you say above.......I do know for certain that traffic will not be returning to the streets he/she mentions anytime soon.....!!

azimuth17 wrote:

The fall in disposable income, is also more than likely due to the rise in rental prices, along side the creation of low waged jobs in the retail and service sectors, we can't keep doing this to the young, and we re all truly included in this one, wait till us older ones get to retirement!

• Advertisement

Deiseen wrote:
    I hope that the development of the North Quays provides a nice extension of the city and breaths life back into this part of town as it will now be the main route from john street - centre - north quays - ferrybank rather than just ending at the river like it does now.

It may also further compound the issues above......

Advertisement