Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Traffic changes

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Traffic lights still off around Barracks Street! Madness, i wonder has there been an accident yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd switch every light off and reply on a combination of self preservation, courtesy and enhanced traffic flow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Traffic lights still off around Barracks Street! Madness, i wonder has there been an accident yet.

Off over a week now crazy that they are not fixed yet,and Manor Street/Bunkers hill junction off now as well until Monday,two of the busiest junctions in the city with no traffic lights!!

Off over a week now crazy that they are not fixed yet,and Manor Street/Bunkers hill junction off now as well until Monday,two of the busiest junctions in the city with no traffic lights!!

a temp one way could be put in there easily - no turn right from Bunkers Hill, straight ahead only on Manor St going east, left hand turn only on Manor St going west.

thinking of different fecking junction! :o Went through the Manor street one this morning, twas grand obviously at 9.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

Btw traffic lights near Abbey community college on Ferrybank that was always set to road sensors are now set to timer..looks like road workers forget to set it back to sensors after finished some road works few weeks back..just want to say big thanks to them for this.. so annoying at 5am when heading to work to wait on red with no traffic at all ffs!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Yeah amazing. Especially when there are no issues, tailbacks or traffic jams as a result. People and cars flow by with ease. The same on Norris' Corner/Barrack St. No issues. No queues. I wonder how the traffic moved prior to the arrival of lights :rolleyes: As they say : just go with the flow!! :pac::pac:

Years ago i did a weekly run to Limerick and getting frim the Ennis side to the southern ring was part of that delight. One day a crane fell over and took out the whole traffic control system. It took less than half the usual 40 minutes to get across town in mid afternoon. Everyone behaved perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭Flow Motion

Years ago i did a weekly run to Limerick and getting frim the Ennis side to the southern ring was part of that delight. One day a crane fell over and took out the whole traffic control system. It took less than half the usual 40 minutes to get across town in mid afternoon. Everyone behaved perfectly.

100% agree. Strangely enough when traffic lights go on the blink the traffic miraculously vanishes!:eek: Waterford could do with a few less traffic lights junctions IMO. The introduction of the new layout @ Bunkers Hill/Hennessy's Rd has resulted in traffic jams. Especially as there are other traffic light junctions both @ the top & bottom of Bunkers Hill/College St. We have a small compact city centre the core of which still retains its old layout in a lot of respects. Trying to shoehorn in modern traffic flow systems does not fit, cf. reducing the traffic lanes on the Quay or narrow cycle lanes on the already (narrow in parts) Dunmore Road!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,393 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

100% agree. Strangely enough when traffic lights go on the blink the traffic miraculously vanishes!:eek: Waterford could do with a few less traffic lights junctions IMO. The introduction of the new layout @ Bunkers Hill/Hennessy's Rd has resulted in traffic jams. Especially as there are other traffic light junctions both @ the top & bottom of Bunkers Hill/College St. We have a small compact city centre the core of which still retains its old layout in a lot of respects. Trying to shoehorn in modern traffic flow systems does not fit, cf. reducing the traffic lanes on the Quay or narrow cycle lanes on the already (narrow in parts) Dunmore Road!

....or does caution increase in such situations, only to decrease over time?

Oh I'm sure that would happen, complacency would set in quickly enough.

That said there are far too many traffic light junctions - they really are the health 'n safety/lazy man's solution to traffic flow.

That Bunkers Hill/Hennessy's Rd junction is a joke but if it stayed there it could serve a purpose - which brings me back to my error post 215 above!

The junction at the top of Bunkers Hill needs a tweak and you could ditch the lights bar for pedestrians (who often get a raw deal).

Barrack Street going East - straight ahead only, no right turn down Bunkers Hill (traffic should go west down Cannon Street and Blakes Lane which should be a one way going down to Henesseys Road)

Barrack Street going West - Turn left only, no straight ahead (if you want to go west turn right at Bunkers' Hill/Hennessey's road junction)

Bunker Hill - Turn Left only, if you want to reach Newgate Street area turn right at Hennessey's Road junction lights, otherwise find Ballybricken etc via Morrison's Road.

Mad idea or workable?

37VKG.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ....or does caution increase in such situations, only to decrease over time?

Can’t remember where I read it now, but think it has been shown this is not the case. Over time more accidents happen on junctions with traffic lights than ones with no traffic lights.

BBM77 wrote: »
    Can’t remember where I read it now, but think it has been shown this is not the case. Over time more accidents happen on junctions with traffic lights than ones with no traffic lights.

id like to see that research, sounds interesting, but my gut is saying, risk taking would increase in such situations, sounds interesting though. traffic management must be a nightmare, a lot more to consider nowadays, with other road users, pedestrians and cyclists etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

That said there are far too many traffic light junctions - they really are the health 'n safety/lazy man's solution to traffic flow.

That Bunkers Hill/Hennessy's Rd junction is a joke but if it stayed there it could serve a purpose - which brings me back to my error post 215 above!

The junction at the top of Bunkers Hill needs a tweak and you could ditch the lights bar for pedestrians (who often get a raw deal).

Barrack Street going East - straight ahead only, no right turn down Bunkers Hill (traffic should go west down Cannon Street and Blakes Lane which should be a one way going down to Henesseys Road)

Barrack Street going West - Turn left only, no straight ahead (if you want to go west turn right at Bunkers' Hill/Hennessey's road junction)

Bunker Hill - Turn Left only, if you want to reach Newgate Street area turn right at Hennessey's Road junction lights, otherwise find Ballybricken etc via Morrison's Road.

Mad idea or workable?

37VKG.jpg

The original plan was to have Bunkers hill one way going up ,dont know what happened with that idea as they have resurfaced the hill with new road markings now.

I see no advantage to that really, other than ending merging traffic on the Manor, but that's not a big issue is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 bluess99

Mad idea or workable?

37VKG.jpg

For me this idea would be mad, cause if I came through the Apple Market and wanted to go to the Mayors Walk I would have to go through six sets of traffic lights (instead of the old way of 100 meter drive up New Street).

Some of the traffic management decisions in the past few years are crazy and not user friendly, so I'd guess if you put this proposal forward it would be implied 😉

The council are in a road resurfacing mood and great to see, but what chance they stop for "lockdown"? :)

Traffic at coming up New Street is supposed to go left only at the lights, today in a queue of six three went right. I imagine that's common enough.

The council are in a road resurfacing mood and great to see, but what chance they stop for "lockdown"? :)

Traffic at coming up New Street is supposed to go left only at the lights, today in a queue of six three went right. I imagine that's common enough.

makes sense that they plough through it during lockdown

Bump to the above flight of fancy by me the papers are carrying a council advert about Hennessy's Road - they want to turn it into a one way coming from the west and exiting at Bunkers Hill/Manor Hill traffic lights. The traffic that wants to go west will have to go to top of hill and turn left along Barrack Street with a turn down Blake's Lane to get back onto that section of Hennessey's Road.

In other words lengthen the traffic that has to wait on a hill for lights that have a pretty short sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Weren't the original plans to have Bunkers Hill one way, with two lanes? This may help with the buildup of traffic if it goes ahead, and allow the lights last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭E38E3E38E3EE33

Pedestrian Crossing on Barrack St.

Barrack-Street.png

I'll be interested to see if traffic will bottleneck with so many roads diverging around that area

• Advertisement
Advertisement