Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where best to book flights to Oz

• 06-11-2017 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I'm taking the plunge and heading to Australia early January. Preferably around the 2nd/3rd. I have to enter Australia before the 6th as that's when my Visa expires.

I'm just wondering best places to search for flights? I will only be booking 1 way. Will be flying from Dublin to Sydney.

Thanks
    Brendan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I always use Trailfinders. And have booked nearly 50 flights with them for my mam and me in last number of years. 6777888 to phone.

I would advise that you go either Stephen's day or new year's day...a lot cheaper.

Book a return...cheaper generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Sta Travel were good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Have a look at momondo.ie for flight options. A quick search for you shows Etihad on new years day for €887 and Singapore for €839 on the 2nd Jan. I always try and book directly with the airline if the price difference between momondo and the airline direct isn't too great - it's just easier in case things go wrong, flights are delayed etc.

There were cheaper flights, however they involved numerous stopovers/long stopovers and / or flying less comfortable airlines.

Also, have a look at the price of a return flight, even though you don't need it - it may work out cheaper, although you are flying at almost the most expensive time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Momodo looks good but I always feel safer booking direct with the airline

Gael23 wrote: »
    Momodo looks good but I always feel safer booking direct with the airline

Yep, I use it as a starting point, but generally always book with the airline unless there's some reason I can't. For example you can do aer lingus to london and then onwards with Malaysian airlines all on one ticket but it can't be booked on the Malaysian website so you need to use a third party website.

• Advertisement

use this to search:

matrix.itasoftware.com

use this to book:

https://bookwithmatrix.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭brendan86

Thanks for replies, So I had found a flight 3 days ago on skyscanner. Was Quantas airlines with 1 stop total 24hrs. Was only 750euro, didn't book that day and next day it was gone. Woulda been a great deal!

Been on daily since and my next best is 2 stops with Litufasa and China airlines total cost 760euro which isn't bad. I will be booking it now in a few hours or first thing in morning just waiting on my funds to clear.

Wasn't saving that much going new years Eve/Day. So my dates above were for 3rd January which suits me. Visa expires on 6th and I'd rather spend NYE here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Is it a WHV?

If you don't use it by the 6th and you are under the age of 31 you can just get another WHV because you never entered the country.

It will cost for another WHV so you have to weigh up which option is cheaper for you.

How far in advance should flights be booked, or does it matter once it’s not last minute.

How far in advance should flights be booked, or does it matter once it’s not last minute.

It really depends. If you're flexible on dates and not fussed on routes you can frequently get good deals to Australia, especially from the UK. So in that case it's best to wait until you see something and then grab it. I have had return flights from around €700 (from Ireland) with decent airlines and you can get them cheaper if you're prepared to fly with the likes of China Air, South Eastern China airlines etc (I'm not prepared to fly them though!)

If you're flying in peak season (Christmas, easter, summer holidays), look at the blackout dates and when flight prices go up. At Christmas, generally after about the 10th Dec they start to get more expensive. Saying that, even now, just 6weeks out from Xmas, if you wanted to fly to Melbourne on the 7th Dec and back new years eve you can get return flights from €800 if you're prepared to fly China Eastern and €940 with Qantas/Emirates which is a good price for that time of year.

You can set up alerts on skyscanner for specific dates and it will send you an email when the price goes up and down. Anything from Ireland to Australia for €800 rtn or less is very good value - around €950-€1000 seems to be fairly standard with Etihad & Emirates for a one stop flight. It's worth signing up to their newsletters so you get alerts when their are flight sales on and Qatar often have good deals as well and are flying from Dublin now as well.

As I tend to be fussy with my flights (both airlines and flight times...I don't like early morning arrivals in LHR, I prefer to fly via asia than the middle east and I prefer to connect to SNN if I can), and I'm normally flying out on a Thurs or Fri evening I keep an eye on those dates and I generally book when I see a price I am happy with. It's been a long time since I have paid €900+ for a flight to Australia and a lot of these I have booked 6mths + in advance.

Some sites will say 10weeks in advance etc is the best time, but I really don't think there is a 'best' time. Just as I said, keep an eye on prices and then grab one when you are happy (and then never check your dates again!). To be honest, I've been stung more on European flights with the flights getting cheaper after I've booked them, than I have flights to Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

Do not be lured in by china easterns cheap flights to and from oz. We flew them last year after doing several more expensive rounds with the likes of etihad, emirates, singapore etc. never again!! I had read the reviews about them before going so i kinda knew what to expect and was able to nervously laugh about the terrible experience rather than get pissed off about it. But we've definitely decided the more reputable airlines are worth the extra cost.

pete4130 wrote: »
    Is it a WHV?

If you don't use it by the 6th and you are under the age of 31 you can just get another WHV because you never entered the country.

It will cost for another WHV so you have to weigh up which option is cheaper for you.

Yeah it's a WHV, I booked flights last night for the 3rd Jan. I did know I could let Visa expire and sign up again but I felt if I don't go now I never will!

Although I turn 31 Christmas so maybe had go now anyway.

Once you turn 31 its game over. You won't be eligible for a 2nd WHV due to your age by the the time your 1st year WHV comes to an end but I'm not 100% sure. If you aren't eligible then yo don't have to worry about the 88 days rural work to obtain it.

brendan86 wrote: »
    Yeah it's a WHV, I booked flights last night for the 3rd Jan. I did know I could let Visa expire and sign up again but I felt if I don't go now I never will!

Although I turn 31 Christmas so maybe had go now anyway.

There's talk of it being approved for up to 35year olds though

pete4130 wrote: »
    Once you turn 31 its game over. You won't be eligible for a 2nd WHV due to your age by the the time your 1st year WHV comes to an end but I'm not 100% sure. If you aren't eligible then yo don't have to worry about the 88 days rural work to obtain it.

Oh so your saying as it stands I won't be able to get a 2nd year as I turn 31 December 22nd?

I thought as Neon mentioned the age was being extended to 35? Has that not come in yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Noo

They changed the legislation so that the age limit COULD be increased to 35. It is up to each individual country to negotiate with immigration about implementing the change. So its still 30 for now.

You have 2 options when you get here. Enjoy a fantastic year of working, enjoying yourself, travelling, adventures and know it will probably not last more than the 12 months and return home.

The second option is to try to secure a job and seek sponsorship to be able to stay and work hard for that year to work towards it. It's not guaranteed though so it could be a year of hard work and still have to return home.

The Canadian WHV age limit is 35 though I think.

mel.b wrote: »
    It really depends. If you're flexible on dates and not fussed on routes you can frequently get good deals to Australia, especially from the UK. So in that case it's best to wait until you see something and then grab it. I have had return flights from around €700 (from Ireland) with decent airlines and you can get them cheaper if you're prepared to fly with the likes of China Air, South Eastern China airlines etc (I'm not prepared to fly them though!)

If you're flying in peak season (Christmas, easter, summer holidays), look at the blackout dates and when flight prices go up. At Christmas, generally after about the 10th Dec they start to get more expensive. Saying that, even now, just 6weeks out from Xmas, if you wanted to fly to Melbourne on the 7th Dec and back new years eve you can get return flights from €800 if you're prepared to fly China Eastern and €940 with Qantas/Emirates which is a good price for that time of year.

You can set up alerts on skyscanner for specific dates and it will send you an email when the price goes up and down. Anything from Ireland to Australia for €800 rtn or less is very good value - around €950-€1000 seems to be fairly standard with Etihad & Emirates for a one stop flight. It's worth signing up to their newsletters so you get alerts when their are flight sales on and Qatar often have good deals as well and are flying from Dublin now as well.

As I tend to be fussy with my flights (both airlines and flight times...I don't like early morning arrivals in LHR, I prefer to fly via asia than the middle east and I prefer to connect to SNN if I can), and I'm normally flying out on a Thurs or Fri evening I keep an eye on those dates and I generally book when I see a price I am happy with. It's been a long time since I have paid €900+ for a flight to Australia and a lot of these I have booked 6mths + in advance.

Some sites will say 10weeks in advance etc is the best time, but I really don't think there is a 'best' time. Just as I said, keep an eye on prices and then grab one when you are happy (and then never check your dates again!). To be honest, I've been stung more on European flights with the flights getting cheaper after I've booked them, than I have flights to Australia.

If I go in 2018 it will be at Easter but that’s just because I get a few days off work and can add that to my annual leave to make a slightly longer trip. Most I’m fared I’m seeing are a shade over €1000. Have seen slightly less on Skyscanner but unsure how reputable some of the booking engines there are.

I’ll only have 2 weeks +/- a few days so want to maximize my time. That means arriving in the evening, heading straight to bed and holiday starts the next day.
    Matter of opinion really but I feel the product offered by Emirates and maybe Singapore Air is superior to others. But Singapore is 2 stops so a mark against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I have flown both a number of times. Usually I just want get there asap so go Emirates. Did Ethiad once and never again. Singapore Airlines good and it being split up in three flights actually can suit as long flight is overnight. One time my relatives flew to Singapore for a surprise overnight.Pain on the way home though!

If I go in 2018 it will be at Easter but that’s just because I get a few days off work and can add that to my annual leave to make a slightly longer trip. Most I’m fared I’m seeing are a shade over €1000. Have seen slightly less on Skyscanner but unsure how reputable some of the booking engines there are.

I’ll only have 2 weeks +/- a few days so want to maximize my time. That means arriving in the evening, heading straight to bed and holiday starts the next day.
    Matter of opinion really but I feel the product offered by Emirates and maybe Singapore Air is superior to others. But Singapore is 2 stops so a mark against them.

That's not a bad price for easter I think as it's always going to be a more expensive time of year to fly and the dates won't be included in any sale fares.

I've had flights arriving both early in the morning and late at night. I find the best thing to do is to get into the time zone as soon as you board the plane and then when you land, if it's day time, keep busy and keep moving.

I prefer to fly through Asia even though it is two stops as the length of flights are broken up a bit more evenly. I find the 14hr flight from the middle east to Melbourne to be a real killer...once it starts to get over 12hrs I really feel every hour.

• Advertisement

Would that new 17hr flight from LHR be a better route to go?

Personally, i couldn't think of much worse, but each to their own. I find after 12hrs i have had enough and want/need to get off the plane. If you're just going to perth though it could be worth thinking about if you thought you could tolerate it for that long. Now if i was in biz or 1st class that may be a different story!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Noo wrote: »
    They changed the legislation so that the age limit COULD be increased to 35. It is up to each individual country to negotiate with immigration about implementing the change. So its still 30 for now.
    I'm confused by this comment. Who changed the legislation? What do you mean it's up to the individual country?

Isn't the decision is entirely up to the dept of Immigration and the minister.

Only if you are going to Perth or living in London. Otherwise it's just adding a stop.

I've done 14 hours and it's no different to 12 hours. I can't imagine there being a better option than stopping in the middle east until they can do Sydney to London/Paris/Frankfurt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mellor wrote: »
    I'm confused by this comment. Who changed the legislation? What do you mean it's up to the individual country?

Isn't the decision is entirely up to the dept of Immigration and the minister.
    The WHV is only granted on the basis of reciprocal arrangements. You can't get a WHV unless you'r a citizen of a country which grants similar working holiday visas to Australian citizens.

Australian can raise the age limit to 35 (or make other changes) any time they like, but as a matter of policy they won't do that unilaterally; they'll want partner countries also to agree to do it, in order to maintain reciprocity.

As yet the age limit hasn't been lifted for any country. The Aussies have anounced that they are interested in doing this and they are exploring what's involved, etc, etc, but they're not yet at the stage of actually looking for agreement from other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,634 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ah I get you now. They've indicated they would be willing to up to 35, but at this stage it's just testing the water and they are waiting for other for following suit.
    That was probably clear from Noo post, it's been a while since WHV news caught my attention. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,735 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Mellor wrote: »
    Ah I get you now. They've indicated they would be willing to up to 35, but at this stage it's just testing the water and they are waiting for other for following suit.
    I don't think they're even at that stage yet. They're exploring the possibility of thinking about being willing to maybe suggest to the partners countries that they might agree to talk about raising the age limit. Or something like that. They're not at the "waiting for others" stage; they're not ready to move themselves yet.

Advertisement