Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Andrea Pirlo has retired

• 06-11-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Andrea-Pirlo-Juventus-Champions-League_2890951.jpg?20130622135601

Another of the icons of my era has left the game.

I honestly don't know how you couldn't enjoy watching this guy play football.

He has a major trophy haul in his back pocket, and a highlight reel to envy. From his multiple free kick screamers, to his dinked penalty against England, to his ice cool reverse pass to Fabio Grosso to break down Germany in the Euros, he was a genius.

Just brilliant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The most Italian thing you'll ever see

699_immagine_0.jpg

• Pirlo-UEFA-Final.png

Love this one :D
    What a legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

A little bitter you went with a Juve pic for the first post. Although Conte did revitalize his career as difficult as that is to admit.

Seen him on numerous occasions in San Siro and was always an honour, probably an all time top 5 player for me. He was the greatest in the world in his position, better than Xavi and Scholes. Time stood still when he had the ball at his feet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,382 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Rekop dog wrote: »
    A little bitter you went with a Juve pic for the first post. Although Conte did revitalize his career as difficult as that is to admit.

Seen him on numerous occasions in San Siro and was always an honour, probably an all time top 5 player for me. He was the greatest in the world in his position, better than Xavi and Scholes. Time stood still when he had the ball at his feet.

You are correct. My main memories of him are in Milan and Italy shirts. I merely picked a striking photo!

Just to make up for it...

663263-21727725-2560-1440.jpg?w=700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Wow. I personally wouldn't have him near my top 5 but each to their own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

A great player although Xavi would be the greatest playmaking mid of his generation for me. Though probably slightly different players, Xavi was a pass and mover who would make the side tick, whereas I would compare Pirlo more to Xabi Alonso who was at his best playmaking from deep, with an amazing range of passing.

Also had the occasional worldy in his locker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The penalty against England in the Euro 2012 shootout is my favourite memory. Joe Hart is jumping up and down laughing on the goalline, trying to put him off, and then Pirlo just steps up and does a Panenka and puts Hart back in his box. He didn't even gloat at Hart afterwards, just turned ice cool and jogged back to his teammates. It was like the football equivalent of that scene in Indiana Jones when the Swordsman is spinning his sword, smiling away, and Indy just shoots him nonchalantly and turns away. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Will never forget him on the post for a corner while with New York City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

callaway92 wrote: »
    Wow. I personally wouldn't have him near my top 5 but each to their own

Not as in best 5 but favourite 5 players to watch, he was an artist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The penalty against England in the Euro 2012 shootout is my favourite memory. Joe Hart is jumping up and down laughing on the goalline, trying to put him off, and then Pirlo just steps up and does a Panenka and puts Hart back in his box. He didn't even gloat at Hart afterwards, just turned ice cool and jogged back to his teammates. It was like the football equivalent of that scene in Indiana Jones when the Swordsman is spinning his sword, smiling away, and Indy just shoots him nonchalantly and turns away. Loved it.

Sublime

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lovely hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Majestic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

As a Man U fan I'd have to agree with you there. I'd also put Pirlo in my top 5 all time greatest players. As you said, time stood still when he had the ball at his feet. He almost seemed to generate his own 'Matrix' effect when playing in midfield. A footballing genius and a footballing God. It was an honour to have witnessed him play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Grueller

Football is now a worse place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,215 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He was a relatively slow player who always managed to have all the time in the world.

As a Man U fan I'd have to agree with you there. I'd also put Pirlo in my top 5 all time greatest players...

He was a great player...but putting him in a list of the greatest ever?

No chance.

He might just about make a list of top 5 Italian players, but he'd have some competition with Meazza, Maldini, Zoff, Buffon, Baggio, Baresi, Facchetti etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

I was once a young fool, who didnt get the pirlo adoration, I thought he was overrated and slow.

And then I saw him play live and my eyes were opened. Nobody could get within 5 yards of him for some reason and they were all sprinting like madmen while he played just above walking pace and picked unbelievable passes.

To this day hes the best player iv ever seen play the game live. The definition of class

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

2813a946c8e3659ace703958604c3b52.jpg

An absolutely magical player. He didn't have his best spell at my team, Inter, and caused me more pain throughout his career than he gave me joy but he was impossible to dislike. I'm not sure I would have him in my top 5 of all time nor my top 5 Italian players of all time but he might well make it into the top 5 I've seen in the flesh. I'll put the above picture as my happiest memory of him as a player as as someone who watches Italian football week in week out, I've always had a very strong soft spot for Italy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

He absolutely bossed that game, and the context in which he went on to take that penalty made it all the better.

Balotelli had scored their first penalty, then Gerrard scored his, and Montolivo missed.
    Rooney put England 2-1 up and then Pirlo has the audacity to pull this off :eek:

You could argue that it did a great deal in shifting the pressure, bolstering his teammates after the miss and maybe unsettling England enough to have them miss their final 2 penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭FCIM

If Pirlo was 5, perhaps even 3, years younger I have my doubts Italy would have gone out last night. They were like headless chickens running around the field. Lots of effort but no direction. Hard to think they would have played like that with Pirlo in midfield or that he wouldn't have been a calming influence. I'm well aware that Italy have had some bad years recently but if they had had an ounce of composure surely they would have overcome a very limited Swedish team.

Advertisement