Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New monitor for new build: 1080p vs 1440p/Freesync vs G-sync

Options
  • 06-11-2017 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Planning to do a Ryzen 1600 build in the next few weeks but a major stumbling block I'm having is over the GPU/Monitor combo, mostly because of future proofing/upgrade opportunities.

While right now 1080p is perfectly fine, 1440p will probably supersede it as the "standard" resolution before the time comes to replace this build and if I'm buying a completely new monitor now I don't mind spending a bit more to future-proof. Or maybe it won't and 1080p will be perfectly fine in 5-6 years I'm not sure.

Freesync vs G-Sync obviously depends on the graphics card, leaning towards a 1070 as at the moment nVidia look to be in the stronger position going into the future. However that's balanced against the fact G-sync monitors are bloody expensive by comparison to their Freesync counterparts and whichever I buy will limit my upgrade options in the future.

So the question boils down to, should I go for 1440p over 1080p and if so should I go for G-sync over Freesync? I'm mostly an RPG/Action-Adventure player with a bit of FPS and RTS on the side.

Cheers for any insights offered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You don't 'need' either - there's nothing wrong with getting a 1440P freesync monitor and using it with an Nvidia card, though you could get a Vega 56 for the same price and you could avail of Freesync.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Frame rate >= max resolution > *Sync, imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

They are very expensive but just look at it as an investment. You can get a few nice 1080p Gsync monitors though for around €400.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Personally I would go 1440p 144Hz Freesync. Freesync is actually very good and I would not buy another monitor without it. Also I would not buy a 1080p monitor this late in it's life cycle. 1440 is the sweet spot.

It will most likely be late 2018 when we start seeing 4k HDR monitors. There was few to be released early 2018 but they must have run into problems as they have been pushed back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

I've always cheered on AMD vs Nvidia as competition is always good but Nvidia really are miles ahead at this stage. Every product release from AMD disappoints me probably due to hype.
    I went g-sync last year and never regretted it. Gaming is absolutely fantastic @ 1440p.
    PLus the nvidia software has really come on. Now you can have it stream, broadcast, capture with very little hit on fps.
    In PUBG the software automatically captures all my kills/deaths etc and I don't have to lift a figure except to either discard or upload at the end. Games have to support it though,,but we're going to see a lot more like that.
    I've the Dell 27 inch g-sync (about €500) and a 1080p.
    Previous cards I had was gtx780, and the radeon 5 and 6 series before that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement