Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10 Pro free, well nearly)

• 06-11-2017 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Have a laptop running Win 7. Bought Win 8.1 Pro disk with COA on ebay for €15.
    Upgraded laptop.
    Logged onto Microsoft upgrade page. Seems last free Win 10 upgrade was July 2016. But still offering free upgrade for "assistive technology" no questions asked.
    Downloaded Win 10 Pro and upgraded.
    Laptop now running Win 10 Pro very happily for €15.
    This offer runs out end Dec 2017.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

You could have just went from 7 to 10 assistive technology.No need for the 8.1 licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭givecredit

magentis wrote: »
    You could have just went from 7 to 10 assistive technology.No need for the 8.1 licence.

What the op is saying is he got windows 10 pro for 15 euro.

givecredit wrote: »
    What the op is saying is he got windows 10 pro for 15 euro.

What I'm saying is if you chose to use the assistive technology upgrade you can get it for nothing.

Not going into the fact that the assistive technology upgrade is for people with disabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,566 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

have you seen most PC users? ;)

• Advertisement

Skerries wrote: »
    have you seen most PC users? ;)

I have indeed.All fun and games until microsoft look and see who is actually entitled to the upgrade :)

It's quite like parking in a disabled spot.Yes,you can physically do it.But is it fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

If you install windows 10 fresh with a 7 or 8 key it will activate.

No need for assistive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

magentis wrote: »
    It's quite like parking in a disabled spot.Yes,you can physically do it.But is it fair?

How is it like parking in a disabled space? Are you stopping someone from using that copy of Windows? No.

If Microsoft call around just tell them you’re from Leitrim. Be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

stimpson wrote: »
    How is it like parking in a disabled space? Are you stopping someone from using that copy of Windows? No.

tenor.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Aph2016

Ma man.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

It's just ordinary Win 10 Pro, you won't get clamped!

TBi wrote: »
    If you install windows 10 fresh with a 7 or 8 key it will activate.

No need for assistive.

Just tried this. No joy.

Currently installing 8.1 in a VM so I can upgrade the 8.1 keys I’ve had in my email since 2013. All legit copies harvested before selling machines before anyone gets the arse.

And if anyone asks...

790f0bc5003f95af8342eefa0933a639fa4b7c19ed18454e5e02b7a47714bdfe.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Btw Cortana counts as assistive technology so everyone's probably had a try of that already.

They are closing off the assistive technology upgrade path soonish...
    Ah here it is:
    https://arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/11/the-last-official-way-to-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade-is-ending-soon/
    Ending 31 December 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

Just tried this. No joy.

Currently installing 8.1 in a VM so I can upgrade the 8.1 keys I’ve had in my email since 2013. All legit copies harvested before selling machines before anyone gets the arse.

It won't work in a VM. Also the key is locked to a machine (it's not a full license) so upgrading via a VM is ... not the best choice.

TBi wrote: »
    It won't work in a VM. Also the key is locked to a machine (it's not a full license) so upgrading via a VM is ... not the best choice.

They are retail keys. Afaik, you keep the ability to move the licence to a new machine.

One worked fine, one didnt. a Win 8.1 Pro with Media Centre is complaining "this product key can only be used to add features to windows". Oh well. I'll probably never use them anyway :)

Edit: 2 calls to Microsoft and 2 hours later I now have 2 Windows 10 Pro retail keys and 2 VMs. If only I had something to put on them...

Advertisement