Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data Breach and making me pay for it.

Options
  • 06-11-2017 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I rang your customer service last week to advise of a data breach.  I received a letter regarding returning the Eir equipment because I am no longer with Eir for my Broadband and TV. While the envelope was addressed to me the letter inside contained someone else's account details.  I rang Eir to advise them of this.  I was advised that it was a "human error" and that it was "probably" just the 2 letters that got mixed up.  I was told that the matter would be fully investigated.  I now notice that this phone call counts towards my call minutes on my Eir mobile bill.  Talk about adding insult to injury!  I rang today to have the minutes discounted and I was told that because I have not yet used up my call limits I wasn't being charged for the call so I can't be compensated for them.  But as I am about to go over my limit I will have to pay for calls that I would not have had to pay for if I hadn't phoned you to advise that my data details had been breached. This, coming on the back of hours (and yes I do mean HOURS - no exaggeration) of phone calls to your 1800 number to sort out a simple switch from the contracted bundle to just having a prepay sim with my mobile phone. Considering the costs of my time spent for all the calls, but particularly one where I am informing you of a data breach, I really didn't think it unreasonable to ask for a 22 minute credit on my mobile. But apparently it is!! I can see why you ended up with a €10,500 euro fine for overcharging someone €148!! https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/eir-fined-10500-after-overcharging-pensioner-by-148-36210246.html

Anyway, costs aside, if any other customers have been involved in the Data breach (i.e. you received a letter with someone elses account details on it) I would suggest that instead of wasting your time ringing Eir to tell them, you can know that it is "probably" just a mix up of a few of the letters due to "human error" and the matter is being fully investigated.  I will be writing to the person whose details I received to advise them that I received their details and to assure them that I won't be passing their details onto anyone or misusing the information in any way.  If anyone on this site has received the wrong letter, might I suggest you do the same.  Because personally I don't trust Eir to write to all customers that may have been affected and I certainly don't feel confident that they will ensure that my data isn't misused. 

Now, an additional problem that I am not willing to spend an hour on the phone trying to sort out.  The Nightline courier was due to collect the Eir equipment from my home today.  I stayed home all day to wait on them.  There is no sign of them.  (maybe they have gone to the other customer in Limerick??) I have an email confirmation from them that they will be here today. If they don't turn up I will not be making any further arrangements or wasting any further time to get the equipment back to you.  

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

ideb wrote: »
    I rang your customer service last week to advise of a data breach.  I received a letter regarding returning the Eir equipment because I am no longer with Eir for my Broadband and TV. While the envelope was addressed to me the letter inside contained someone else's account details.  I rang Eir to advise them of this.  I was advised that it was a "human error" and that it was "probably" just the 2 letters that got mixed up.  I was told that the matter would be fully investigated.  I now notice that this phone call counts towards my call minutes on my Eir mobile bill.  Talk about adding insult to injury!  I rang today to have the minutes discounted and I was told that because I have not yet used up my call limits I wasn't being charged for the call so I can't be compensated for them.  But as I am about to go over my limit I will have to pay for calls that I would not have had to pay for if I hadn't phoned you to advise that my data details had been breached. This, coming on the back of hours (and yes I do mean HOURS - no exaggeration) of phone calls to your 1800 number to sort out a simple switch from the contracted bundle to just having a prepay sim with my mobile phone. Considering the costs of my time spent for all the calls, but particularly one where I am informing you of a data breach, I really didn't think it unreasonable to ask for a 22 minute credit on my mobile. But apparently it is!! I can see why you ended up with a €10,500 euro fine for overcharging someone €148!! https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/eir-fined-10500-after-overcharging-pensioner-by-148-36210246.html

Anyway, costs aside, if any other customers have been involved in the Data breach (i.e. you received a letter with someone elses account details on it) I would suggest that instead of wasting your time ringing Eir to tell them, you can know that it is "probably" just a mix up of a few of the letters due to "human error" and the matter is being fully investigated.  I will be writing to the person whose details I received to advise them that I received their details and to assure them that I won't be passing their details onto anyone or misusing the information in any way.  If anyone on this site has received the wrong letter, might I suggest you do the same.  Because personally I don't trust Eir to write to all customers that may have been affected and I certainly don't feel confident that they will ensure that my data isn't misused. 

Now, an additional problem that I am not willing to spend an hour on the phone trying to sort out.  The Nightline courier was due to collect the Eir equipment from my home today.  I stayed home all day to wait on them.  There is no sign of them.  (maybe they have gone to the other customer in Limerick??) I have an email confirmation from them that they will be here today. If they don't turn up I will not be making any further arrangements or wasting any further time to get the equipment back to you.  
    Hi ideb, 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with ourselves. I understand this is very frustrating. 

Can you confirm the number you have been dialling as our customer care number 1901 and all 1800 are free. 

Feel free to PM me your account details and name on the account and I'll look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

Hi ideb, 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with ourselves. I understand this is very frustrating. 

Can you confirm the number you have been dialling as our customer care number 1901 and all 1800 are free. 

Feel free to PM me your account details and name on the account and I'll look into this for you. 

Thanks 

Tracey 
    I have been on to both.  The 1800 don't seem to show as call minutes, but 1901 does.  So while the calls were "free" they were added to my call minutes and I have now gone over on my call minutes.  Anyway, this is hardly the point anymore.  I was really just warning other Eir customers (or former customers in this case) of the Data Breach, because I don't trust Eir to take it seriously.  I will be writing to Eir formerly about the matter and contacting the Data Protection Commission if necessary.  I'll PM you my account details just so you will be able to see some of the frustrations I've had.  

As for the issue with the Courier - They didn't arrive! If I'm here when they do, all well and good.  I will give them the equipment I have. If not, you can take this as notice that I followed the procedure outlined in the letter (even though it wasn't MY letter) and therefore I will not be paying any fines for non return of the equipment. 

I rang your customer service last week to advise of a data breach. I received a letter regarding returning the Eir equipment because I am no longer with Eir for my Broadband and TV. While the envelope was addressed to me the letter inside contained someone else's account details. I rang Eir to advise them of this. I was advised that it was a "human error" and that it was "probably" just the 2 letters that got mixed up. I was told that the matter would be fully investigated. I now notice that this phone call counts towards my call minutes on my Eir mobile bill. Talk about adding insult to injury! I rang today to have the minutes discounted and I was told that because I have not yet used up my call limits I wasn't being charged for the call so I can't be compensated for them. But as I am about to go over my limit I will have to pay for calls that I would not have had to pay for if I hadn't phoned you to advise that my data details had been breached. This, coming on the back of hours (and yes I do mean HOURS - no exaggeration) of phone calls to your 1800 number to sort out a simple switch from the contracted bundle to just having a prepay sim with my mobile phone. Considering the costs of my time spent for all the calls, but particularly one where I am informing you of a data breach, I really didn't think it unreasonable to ask for a 22 minute credit on my mobile. But apparently it is!! I can see why you ended up with a €10,500 euro fine for overcharging someone €148!! https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/eir-fined-10500-after-overcharging-pensioner-by-148-36210246.html

Anyway, costs aside, if any other customers have been involved in the Data breach (i.e. you received a letter with someone elses account details on it) I would suggest that instead of wasting your time ringing Eir to tell them, you can know that it is "probably" just a mix up of a few of the letters due to "human error" and the matter is being fully investigated. I will be writing to the person whose details I received to advise them that I received their details and to assure them that I won't be passing their details onto anyone or misusing the information in any way. If anyone on this site has received the wrong letter, might I suggest you do the same. Because personally I don't trust Eir to write to all customers that may have been affected and I certainly don't feel confident that they will ensure that my data isn't misused.

Now, an additional problem that I am not willing to spend an hour on the phone trying to sort out. The Nightline courier was due to collect the Eir equipment from my home today. I stayed home all day to wait on them. There is no sign of them. (maybe they have gone to the other customer in Limerick??) I have an email confirmation from them that they will be here today. If they don't turn up I will not be making any further arrangements or wasting any further time to get the equipment back to you.
    Hi ideb,

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with ourselves. I understand this is very frustrating.

Thanks

Tracey
    I have been on to both. The 1800 don't seem to show as call minutes, but 1901 does. So while the calls were "free" they were added to my call minutes and I have now gone over on my call minutes. Anyway, this is hardly the point anymore. I was really just warning other Eir customers (or former customers in this case) of the Data Breach, because I don't trust Eir to take it seriously. I will be writing to Eir formerly about the matter and contacting the Data Protection Commission if necessary. I'll PM you my account details just so you will be able to see some of the frustrations I've had.

As for the issue with the Courier - They didn't arrive! If I'm here when they do, all well and good. I will give them the equipment I have. If not, you can take this as notice that I followed the procedure outlined in the letter (even though it wasn't MY letter) and therefore I will not be paying any fines for non return of the equipment.

Apologies for the courier not calling out.

I've received your PM, I'll look into this and come back to you shortly.

Thanks

Tracey

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ideb

I rang your customer service last week to advise of a data breach.  I received a letter regarding returning the Eir equipment because I am no longer with Eir for my Broadband and TV. While the envelope was addressed to me the letter inside contained someone else's account details.  I rang Eir to advise them of this.  I was advised that it was a "human error" and that it was "probably" just the 2 letters that got mixed up.  I was told that the matter would be fully investigated.  I now notice that this phone call counts towards my call minutes on my Eir mobile bill.  Talk about adding insult to injury!  I rang today to have the minutes discounted and I was told that because I have not yet used up my call limits I wasn't being charged for the call so I can't be compensated for them.  But as I am about to go over my limit I will have to pay for calls that I would not have had to pay for if I hadn't phoned you to advise that my data details had been breached. This, coming on the back of hours (and yes I do mean HOURS - no exaggeration) of phone calls to your 1800 number to sort out a simple switch from the contracted bundle to just having a prepay sim with my mobile phone. Considering the costs of my time spent for all the calls, but particularly one where I am informing you of a data breach, I really didn't think it unreasonable to ask for a 22 minute credit on my mobile. But apparently it is!! I can see why you ended up with a €10,500 euro fine for overcharging someone €148!! https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/eir-fined-10500-after-overcharging-pensioner-by-148-36210246.html

Anyway, costs aside, if any other customers have been involved in the Data breach (i.e. you received a letter with someone elses account details on it) I would suggest that instead of wasting your time ringing Eir to tell them, you can know that it is "probably" just a mix up of a few of the letters due to "human error" and the matter is being fully investigated.  I will be writing to the person whose details I received to advise them that I received their details and to assure them that I won't be passing their details onto anyone or misusing the information in any way.  If anyone on this site has received the wrong letter, might I suggest you do the same.  Because personally I don't trust Eir to write to all customers that may have been affected and I certainly don't feel confident that they will ensure that my data isn't misused.

Now, an additional problem that I am not willing to spend an hour on the phone trying to sort out.  The Nightline courier was due to collect the Eir equipment from my home today.  I stayed home all day to wait on them.  There is no sign of them.  (maybe they have gone to the other customer in Limerick??) I have an email confirmation from them that they will be here today. If they don't turn up I will not be making any further arrangements or wasting any further time to get the equipment back to you.  
    Hi ideb,

I'm very sorry to hear about the issues you are having with ourselves. I understand this is very frustrating.

Thanks

Tracey
    I have been on to both.  The 1800 don't seem to show as call minutes, but 1901 does.  So while the calls were "free" they were added to my call minutes and I have now gone over on my call minutes.  Anyway, this is hardly the point anymore.  I was really just warning other Eir customers (or former customers in this case) of the Data Breach, because I don't trust Eir to take it seriously.  I will be writing to Eir formerly about the matter and contacting the Data Protection Commission if necessary.  I'll PM you my account details just so you will be able to see some of the frustrations I've had.  

As for the issue with the Courier - They didn't arrive! If I'm here when they do, all well and good.  I will give them the equipment I have. If not, you can take this as notice that I followed the procedure outlined in the letter (even though it wasn't MY letter) and therefore I will not be paying any fines for non return of the equipment.

Thanks

Tracey
    The courier has just come to collect it now.  He had preprinted the confirmation which said that it only had one item. I gave him 3 items Broadband box/TV box and Eir plug-ins. 

I rang your customer service last week to advise of a data breach.  I received a letter regarding returning the Eir equipment because I am no longer with Eir for my Broadband and TV. While the envelope was addressed to me the letter inside contained someone else's account details.  I rang Eir to advise them of this.  I was advised that it was a "human error" and that it was "probably" just the 2 letters that got mixed up.  I was told that the matter would be fully investigated.  I now notice that this phone call counts towards my call minutes on my Eir mobile bill.  Talk about adding insult to injury!  I rang today to have the minutes discounted and I was told that because I have not yet used up my call limits I wasn't being charged for the call so I can't be compensated for them.  But as I am about to go over my limit I will have to pay for calls that I would not have had to pay for if I hadn't phoned you to advise that my data details had been breached. This, coming on the back of hours (and yes I do mean HOURS - no exaggeration) of phone calls to your 1800 number to sort out a simple switch from the contracted bundle to just having a prepay sim with my mobile phone. Considering the costs of my time spent for all the calls, but particularly one where I am informing you of a data breach, I really didn't think it unreasonable to ask for a 22 minute credit on my mobile. But apparently it is!! I can see why you ended up with a €10,500 euro fine for overcharging someone €148!! https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/eir-fined-10500-after-overcharging-pensioner-by-148-36210246.html

Anyway, costs aside, if any other customers have been involved in the Data breach (i.e. you received a letter with someone elses account details on it) I would suggest that instead of wasting your time ringing Eir to tell them, you can know that it is "probably" just a mix up of a few of the letters due to "human error" and the matter is being fully investigated.  I will be writing to the person whose details I received to advise them that I received their details and to assure them that I won't be passing their details onto anyone or misusing the information in any way.  If anyone on this site has received the wrong letter, might I suggest you do the same.  Because personally I don't trust Eir to write to all customers that may have been affected and I certainly don't feel confident that they will ensure that my data isn't misused.

Now, an additional problem that I am not willing to spend an hour on the phone trying to sort out.  The Nightline courier was due to collect the Eir equipment from my home today.  I stayed home all day to wait on them.  There is no sign of them.  (maybe they have gone to the other customer in Limerick??) I have an email confirmation from them that they will be here today. If they don't turn up I will not be making any further arrangements or wasting any further time to get the equipment back to you.  
    Hi ideb,

Thanks

Tracey
    I have been on to both.  The 1800 don't seem to show as call minutes, but 1901 does.  So while the calls were "free" they were added to my call minutes and I have now gone over on my call minutes.  Anyway, this is hardly the point anymore.  I was really just warning other Eir customers (or former customers in this case) of the Data Breach, because I don't trust Eir to take it seriously.  I will be writing to Eir formerly about the matter and contacting the Data Protection Commission if necessary.  I'll PM you my account details just so you will be able to see some of the frustrations I've had.  

As for the issue with the Courier - They didn't arrive! If I'm here when they do, all well and good.  I will give them the equipment I have. If not, you can take this as notice that I followed the procedure outlined in the letter (even though it wasn't MY letter) and therefore I will not be paying any fines for non return of the equipment.

Thanks

Tracey
    The courier has just come to collect it now.  He had preprinted the confirmation which said that it only had one item. I gave him 3 items Broadband box/TV box and Eir plug-ins. 
    I'm glad to hear he came out to you. That's no problem, I'll note that or you. 

I'll come back to your PM soon. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

• Advertisement
Advertisement