Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biggest licensed calibre in Ireland

Options
  • 06-11-2017 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

As above, just for my own curiosity. id be well down the pecking order with the biggest iv ever owned a .22lr

Obviously a lot of deer hunters would have the .308 but is there anything bigger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭RS98

Few 338 LM's around I'm sure

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Uinseann_16

.300 win mag would be the biggest non restricted caliber you see and is starting to become more common(there are bigger .30 cals like the 30-378 weatherby magnum etc...) im sure some lads have big bore game rifles for the likes of plains game in africa etc.. so .375 h&h and .416 rigby and similar but they would be countable on one hand
    technically you could licence a .50 bmg but thats in theory not practice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I've seen a few .375 .400, .470 nitro express heavy game rifles. They cost the same a good new car, so not too common, and won't be seen afield in Ireland much. Also a few 9.3mm rifles, an extremely popular calibre, i am told, in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

I do believe one dealer here has either a .460 Cheytac or a .50 cal baby Barrett[bolt action] in the gunroom. Have fun feeding one of those calibres here, must be like 8 or 9 euros a round.:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    I do believe one dealer here has either a .460 Cheytac or a .50 cal baby Barrett[bolt action] in the gunroom. Have fun feeding one of those calibres here, must be like 8 or 9 euros a round.:)

the .50 is 110 pound sterling for a box of 14 :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Must be just a demo piece for the customers to look at???

So say your an rfd who holds a restricted dealers licence could you technically buy what ever you want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

Must be just a demo piece for the customers to look at???

So say your an rfd who holds a restricted dealers licence could you technically buy what ever you want

in a way yes and in another way no, you need to also get an import licence, they will only give you a restricted import licence if it has been licenced. So if it were in the country you could purchase it and sell it yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sandy22

We've had this question before.

The largest calibre commonly licenced in Ireland is .729"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Sandy22 wrote: »
    We've had this question before.

The largest calibre commonly licenced in Ireland is .729"

Aka a 12g shotgun if you go by bore diameter as a definition of calibre. I reckon it's .775 inch in that case. There must be a few 10g's knocking around still.

Aka a 12g shotgun if you go by bore diameter as a definition of calibre. I reckon it's .775 inch in that case. There must be a few 10g's knocking around still.

My da has a 10 gauge, very hard to get ammo for it though

• Advertisement

My da has a 10 gauge, very hard to get ammo for it though

They kind of fell by the wayside with the introduction of the 12g with 3" chamber me thinks...

They kind of fell by the wayside with the introduction of the 12g with 3" chamber me thinks...

Yeah its an aya yemen i think. Even now with the 3.5" chambers ita obselete

I think what killed the 10 bore is the price of the ammunition, its available, but extremely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

gunny123 wrote: »
    I think what killed the 10 bore is the price of the ammunition, its available, but extremely expensive.
    I was over a the Midlands Gamefair and one of the lads said that he saw it for sale at about £5 a bang - would that sound correct ?

Vizzy wrote: »
    I was over a the Midlands Gamefair and one of the lads said that he saw it for sale at about £5 a bang - would that sound correct ?

58 euro for a box of 10 federal turkey loads i saw em in a rfd a few weeks so yeah that d be right

58 euro for a box of 10 federal turkey loads i saw em in a rfd a few weeks so yeah that d be right

Give or take €6 a pop...that's mad money for a shotgun cartridge.

Vizzy wrote: »

Yes it was something around that. Pity reloading cannot be done, i reckon if you had the cases the powder, shot and primer wouldn't cost anything like £5.

Advertisement