Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic conversion costs

Options
  • 06-11-2017 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Looking to get a view on what is a realistic cost for an attic conversion based on the best details I can provide below and a pointer on anything that I may have missed:

House Type: Bungalow

Attic Size to be converted
    • 40ft long
    • 7ft to existing collar which need to be raised to 8ft
    • 13 ft between existing purlins which will need to be straightened and will give approx 16ft-17ft width at floor level
    Work which is needed:
    • Stairs to be fitted in 1 existing bedroom to opening for attic, standard pine with square spinal.stairs will need 1 90 deg turn at bottom to fit correctly in room.
    • 3 rooms to be created with total 2 velux windows (one for bedroom, one for living space)
    • Landing space with 2 doors ( door for 3rd room to be off living space)
    • existing joists are 5x2 so will need re-inforcing with 9x2
    • current space is floored with 3x2 perpendicular to joists and 18mm WBP plyboard (can be reused for flooring/ stud work)
    • rigid insulation to be put between joists
    • insulated plasterboard to be used on external spaces.
    • standard plasterboard to be used on internal spaces.
    • standard finish with painting to be done by ourselves.
    • Water tank to be moved back closer to eves of roof
    • 4 radiators to be fitted into existing heating system
    • ~18 double sockets to be fitted, (undecided on whether to go spots or flat ceiling lights)
    The only other thing we are not really decided on is whether to include an ensuite in the 1 bedroom being created upstairs, it depends on overall cost i guess, the ensuite would be directly above existing bathroom so waste and water piping would be minimal.

Regards
    Tommy

Advertisement