Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vinyl - opinions as a pressie please - i know nothing!

• 06-11-2017 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi

I just got drawn my brother in law for our family kris kindle.

He's quite a retro hipster kinda fella and I'd like to get him something quite cool as he's such a nice guy.

I was thinking of getting him a vinyl player. He's really into his music and gigs but I'm just wondering if you think this might be a good gift - is the quality of the music really enhanced on vinyl? I'm so ignorant about all of this really - would you consider it a good idea when virtually all music is digital?

Thanks a million for any advice.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

highly1111 wrote: »
    Hi

I just got drawn my brother in law for our family kris kindle.

He's quite a retro hipster kinda fella and I'd like to get him something quite cool as he's such a nice guy.

I was thinking of getting him a vinyl player. He's really into his music and gigs but I'm just wondering if you think this might be a good gift - is the quality of the music really enhanced on vinyl? I'm so ignorant about all of this really - would you consider it a good idea when virtually all music is digital?

Thanks a million for any advice.

To get a good record player you'll spend quite a pretty penny. If you just want a crappy all in one player head to argos. If you want an over priced decent one, tower records in dublin.

Music on vinyl quality wise is no better than a CD and often a lot worse. But i'm sure someone will disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

lordgoat wrote: »
    To get a good record player you'll spend quite a pretty penny. If you just want a crappy all in one player head to argos. If you want an over priced decent one, tower records in dublin.

Music on vinyl quality wise is no better than a CD and often a lot worse. But i'm sure someone will disagree.

Here to disagree :pac:

I got a Vinyl player as a gift earlier this year and I have to say I have taken to it a lot more than I thought. I much prefer the sound through a vinyl, it's far more layered in terms of the sound and makes listening to a record at home from start to finish more enjoyable.
    Streaming services can be fairly compressed (I know Spotify use their own compression for example).

I'm also really enjoying just browsing record shops in the city and picking up some of my favorite albums so it's turned into a bit of a hobby too, go for it, a great gift!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,314 ✭✭✭✭endacl

When did ‘vinyl player’ appear as a term?

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Here to disagree :pac:

I got a Vinyl player as a gift earlier this year and I have to say I have taken to it a lot more than I thought. I much prefer the sound through a vinyl, it's far more layered in terms of the sound and makes listening to a record at home from start to finish more enjoyable.
    Streaming services can be fairly compressed (I know Spotify use their own compression for example).

I'm also really enjoying just browsing record shops in the city and picking up some of my favorite albums so it's turned into a bit of a hobby too, go for it, a great gift!

Thank you....I think half of what he would like most of browsing the shops also. He's very into his music but 3 young kids means that he doesn't get as much time as before to appreciate it! Do you have any idea how much your gift cost? I know that you can spend €100s.....but I'm thinking a little (lot!!) less than that!! ;-)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Thank you....I think half of what he would like most of browsing the shops also. He's very into his music but 3 young kids means that he doesn't get as much time as before to appreciate it! Do you have any idea how much your gift cost? I know that you can spend €100s.....but I'm thinking a little (lot!!) less than that!! ;-)

Thanks

I think cost a bit more than that but the player I have may be a little more high end than what you're looking to get, I also needed to purchase a preamp to connect it to my sound system, think your best bet may be to head into Tower Records on Dawson Street and have a chat with the guys in there, they're really helpful with this stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

I would look at one of those all-in-one jobs. Not high end, but probably more in your budget. Plus the convenience of no separate pre amp.

Argos and the likes have them. My local indie record shop has nice retro style ones.

If he is (re)bitten by the bug that will be enough to get him going. Then in time ye can always upgrade.

noby wrote: »
    I would look at one of those all-in-one jobs. Not high end, but probably more in your budget. Plus the convenience of no separate pre amp.

Argos and the likes have them. My local indie record shop has nice retro style ones.

If he is (re)bitten by the bug that will be enough to get him going. Then in time ye can always upgrade.

Something like this?

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7257928/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome+entertainment+and+sat+nav%7C14419512/Trail/searchtext%3EVINYL.htm

NONONONONO!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

please remember that there's a budget constraint here but is something like THIS any use??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ION-Audio-Max-LP-Belt-Drive/dp/B00COC61LO

There's one on adverts.ie for great value - brand new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,053 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Something worth remembering, due to the nature of vinyl and how it works, a cheaper turntable will result in heavier wear on your albums. So it is wise to do your research and see how cheaper ones are rated.

It really is just about the aesthetic and the ritual, most modern vinyl is mastered from digital, so it's straight away going to be inferior sound wise. Sill good fun though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

• Advertisement

please remember that there's a budget constraint here but is something like THIS any use??

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ION-Audio-Max-LP-Belt-Drive/dp/B00COC61LO

There's one on adverts.ie for great value - brand new.
    Waste of plastic.
    All explained here:

A different player, but the criticisms are valid for every cheap player available. Turntables need to be set up properly. That player has no adjustment possible. The sound quality will be crap, and records will be destroyed over time.

endacl wrote: »

Not any specific one, just there are ones on Argos/Amazon and the likes that will get you started.

the list that henryporter linked to would be a good guage.

a cheaper turntable will result in heavier wear on your albums

While this is true even the cheapest of starter players will be grand on your 180gram re-issue.
    Some of the DJ style turntables have removable stylus (stylii?) and the arm can be adjusted. That's what I use - a budget belt-driven version, and it does me fine (for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

it has been mentioned above, but though i would pick it up as well. a "true" turntable is useless on its own ( i am ignoring the stand alone all in one items as i know little about them, but the posters above give a good idea of why they are not a great choice). it needs amplification, speakers etc. your brother might have this though? does he already have a Hi-Fi? and by that i mean a separates hi-fi, not a small all in one item. its possible that if he does, his amp 'might' have a phono stage.
    if you know this, it gives options for recommendations.
    when i bought my turntable (mine is a project debut, roughly 130-140 when i got it, quite a few years back.) i knew my amp could take one, so as i had the hi-fi gear the additional cost was just the turntable (and oh so much money on plastic disks! but that's fun spending).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭Rigsby

o1s1n wrote: »
    It really is just about the aesthetic and the ritual, most modern vinyl is mastered from digital, so it's straight away going to be inferior sound wise.

Fair point, and one that's often over looked in the ..."vinyl is making a comeback..." hysteria. Sound wise, regardless of what you play it on, todays vinyl is simply a CD in vinyl form.

Rigsby wrote: »
    Fair point, and one that's often over looked in the ..."vinyl is making a comeback..." hysteria. Sound wise, regardless of what you play it on, todays vinyl is simply a CD in vinyl form.

While that’s kinda true, it’s only true on one level, and is a little misleading. A turntable interacts with the other components in a different way. Even with a preamp, the output signal is lower. That means the amp has to run hotter for the same output level through the speakers. The volume knob is turned up more for the same volume level you’d get from a digital source

Only one example, but the cd in vinyl form is only part of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,053 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

While that’s kinda true, it’s only true on one level, and is a little misleading. A turntable interacts with the other components in a different way. Even with a preamp, the output signal is lower. That means the amp has to run hotter for the same output level through the speakers. The volume knob is turned up more for the same volume level you’d get from a digital source

Only one example, but the cd in vinyl form is only part of the story.

It doesn't really matter what happens after the source though from a quality point of view if you're analysing it on that level. If the source is the same (both from digital) then all you're doing is adding distortion to the digital recording with your vinyl components.

As I was saying, I do really enjoy the ritual of vinyl and the sheer size of it for artwork etc, but sound wise, when it comes down to it, you're really just adding distortion to the recording. Some people call it 'warmth', I like to call it a lower dynamic range :D (I think a CD has something like X10 times the range of vinyl)

The amps and components will only reproduce the signal they receive from the turntable, which in turn will only reproduce the processed sound in which the L.P. was originally recorded..i.e. analogue, or digital.

No amount of "knob twiddling" will change that. ;)

The amps and components will only reproduce the signal they receive from the turntable, which in turn will only reproduce the processed sound in which the L.P. was originally recorded..i.e. analogue, or digital.

No amount of "knob twiddling" will change that. ;)

Besides volume, I have no knobs to twiddle. :(

jd%20202a%20jolida.jpg

On a purely subjective note, I can play umpteen versions of (as a total PF nerd...) Dark Side of the Moon. The 180g vinyl reissue, the remastered SACD, the various versions from the Immersion box set, FLAC digital download, streamed from various sources...

All digital discs play from an Arcam Delta transport through a dedicated DA unit, through that un-twiddleable amp, to B&W speakers. FLAC files follow the same path. The 'big plastic disc' version plays from a midrange NAD TT and preamp I've been using since the late 80's. And sounds more everything. It's hard to describe. I'm far from an 'analogue rules' bore, by the way. I've been collecting recordings for over 30 years and ain't particularly ideologically attached to any format, but I'll tend towards vinyl records when available. On the setup I use, the listening experience is superior.

Besides volume, I have no knobs to twiddle. :(

jd%20202a%20jolida.jpg

On a purely subjective note, I can play umpteen versions of (as a total PF nerd...) Dark Side of the Moon. The 180g vinyl reissue, the remastered SACD, the various versions from the Immersion box set, FLAC digital download, streamed from various sources...

All digital discs play from an Arcam Delta transport through a dedicated DA unit, through that un-twiddleable amp, to B&W speakers. FLAC files follow the same path. The 'big plastic disc' version plays from a midrange NAD TT and preamp I've been using since the late 80's. And sounds more everything. It's hard to describe. I'm far from an 'analogue rules' bore, by the way. I've been collecting recordings for over 30 years and ain't particularly ideologically attached to any format, but I'll tend towards vinyl records when available. On the setup I use, the listening experience is superior.

I too, have been collecting vinyl for nigh on thirty years. I have a reasonably good hi fi system (perhaps not as good as yours) to play them on. While I generally have a soft spot for vinyl, I would not see the logic of buying current recordings, for the reasons I suggested earlier. When the fancy takes me, I will spend an evening listening to vinyl. I suppose you could say that I can see (hear !!!) the merits in both analogue and digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭rumar

Looking to get a record player for Xmas. Ideally one that can play cds and has a radio too. Any ideas or recommendations?

• Advertisement

rumar wrote: »
    Looking to get a record player for Xmas. Ideally one that can play cds and has a radio too. Any ideas or recommendations?

You might have more luck posting in this forum :

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=867

I too, have been collecting vinyl for nigh on thirty years. I have a reasonably good hi fi system (perhaps not as good as yours) to play them on. While I generally have a soft spot for vinyl, I would not see the logic of buying current recordings, for the reasons I suggested earlier. When the fancy takes me, I will spend an evening listening to vinyl. I suppose you could say that I can see (hear !!!) the merits in both analogue and digital.

Same here, not quite 30 years yet but a long stint. I love putting on a record and slowing down to listen to it. But I still need a good streaming service to compliment it.

MY current system is a really old record player with a preamp built in and the sound is class. But a high quality stream on a good sonos. Very little difference to the ears.

Bumping this thread as I'll probably look to upgrade my own to something half decent (or entry-level decent, depending on your POV). I'm in no rush for Christmas so it'll probably be the new year.

I'm looking at around the €300 mark, and have been looking up reviews for the Rega Planar I and the Pro-Ject Debut S/E3.

Anyone have any opinions on these, or anything else I should look at?

Bumping this thread as I'll probably look to upgrade my own to something half decent (or entry-level decent, depending on your POV). I'm in no rush for Christmas so it'll probably be the new year.

I'm looking at around the €300 mark, and have been looking up reviews for the Rega Planar I and the Pro-Ject Debut S/E3.

I'd just talk to the richersounds reps and give them your budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

I've been a vinyl junkie since a teenager. I have a Pro-Ject Carbon and can't recommend the brand enough. Very Very good.

Advertisement