Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At a crossroads

Options
  • 06-11-2017 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys,
    I've been drinking since I was 16, I'm now 30. There is a history of alcohol abuse in my family. For the most part when I drink there are no issues. I only drink probably once a week and never midweek. Over the weekend I was out at a work do and there was free drink. I ended up getting pretty drunk and while I didn't do anything too bad I can get a bit argumentative when like that. I also fell and grazed my arm.
    In my earlier years drinking I used to get drunk a lot and black out and occasionally get in fights. In recent years I've cut back a lot but every 6 months or so there will be a time where I get drunk and usually end up arguing with my partner. I'm trying to decide if I should just set a strict limit on the number of drinks when I do go out or if I should just pack it in altogether. This side of me only comes out when I've consumed probably 8 or more drinks. I'd appreciate any advice from people who have had similar experiences.
    Thanks for reading,
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hey guys,
    I've been drinking since I was 16, I'm now 30. There is a history of alcohol abuse in my family. For the most part when I drink there are no issues. I only drink probably once a week and never midweek. Over the weekend I was out at a work do and there was free drink. I ended up getting pretty drunk and while I didn't do anything too bad I can get a bit argumentative when like that. I also fell and grazed my arm.
    In my earlier years drinking I used to get drunk a lot and black out and occasionally get in fights. In recent years I've cut back a lot but every 6 months or so there will be a time where I get drunk and usually end up arguing with my partner. I'm trying to decide if I should just set a strict limit on the number of drinks when I do go out or if I should just pack it in altogether. This side of me only comes out when I've consumed probably 8 or more drinks. I'd appreciate any advice from people who have had similar experiences.
    Thanks for reading,
    Michael

That's a tough one. I do think it's in a way easier to cut things out than cut back in the long run. Do you think you'd be able to stick to three or four pints and never go over that limit? As you probably know we build up a tolerance over time so you need more to get the same buzz. Only you can make the desision you could try cutting back sndvif that doesn't work maybe it'd be time to cut it out altogether. I'd drink about three times a year and very little too, but I found with the stress of my partner being an alcoholic and the hassle it was causing me my mood would change. I used to get tired after two or three drinks and that'd be if (I know ..lightweight) but I found with all that extra strain I was become aggressive and pretty bitchy so I've cut it out. Life's tough enough without adding more hassle to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

while I didn't do anything too bad I can get a bit argumentative when like that. I also fell and grazed my arm.

OP maybe it's the type of drink you were having didn't suit you, I know a friend of mine gets very argumentative if he has only one or two whiskeys but he can drink pints of lager or stout all night and not a bother on him, so maybe try changing to something else that would suit you better.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Lady Mac

Hey guys,
    Thanks for reading,
    Michael

Hi Michael,

You mightit helpful to check out the replies to tarab's post 'Should I stop drinking'. She posted that about the same time as yours last week.

I'm 31 and quit 2.5 years ago. I had tried moderating for years and could go months between "bad" nights but in the end I finally accepted that I just could never be certain and knew that I would eventually mess up my life. It's 100% been worth it but difficult because sociaising in Ireland is just totally immersed in alcohol.

Hope you find the replies on her post helpful. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Advertisement