Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickbeam me to the finish line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

ariana` wrote: »
    Great race QB, you ran even splits, only a small positive split, i'd say you were well within yourself? I think you have a sub 29:30 5km in you... You just need a nice flat course ;)

Whatever about the 5km I think you are lining yourself up for a sub 4:30 DCM - forget that sub 5 hour target. You are going to amaze yourself this year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Whatever about the 5km I think you are lining yourself up for a sub 4:30 DCM - forget that sub 5 hour target. You are going to amaze yourself this year.

Too generous! But 4:41:45 marathon based on Sunday's Raheny! That time, I'd certainly take! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

quickbeam wrote: »
    Too generous! But 4:41:45 marathon based on Sunday's Raheny! That time, I'd certainly take! :)

You will improve your time a lot more between now and Oct! K is right, 4:30 is well within you ;)

You will have no problems! Sign yourself up before the price goes up!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

You'll be astounded how much you can improve in 9 months if you keep consistent training going!

• Advertisement

My week:

Monday – Rest after Raheny

Tuesday – 5.18km @ 7:00

Wednesday – Rest

Thursday – 10.88km @ 7:05, getting better at going slow. Either that, or just loosing fitness? Probably the former.

Friday – 6.16km walk that was a PB on that route.

Saturday – 6.33km round trip walk to Parkrun to volunteer and save the energy for Sunday's race.

Sunday – Trim 10 mile. This was my first ever race (first of many, I hope) which wasn't the first time doing that distance. In other words, the first time I'd a PB to chase, rather than to set. The time I was chasing was Frank Duffy last year, in a time of 2:01.

I met up with the 100 minute pacers - a lovely, friendly pair. I knew it was a bit ambitious to run with them. Theirs would be a 6:13 pace whereas the fastest I've done 10 mile in training is 6:59 pace, and the furthest I've gone at a 6:13 pace or less is 8km (Raheny last week), but figured I'd at least try and stick with them for part of the way and see how it went. Raheny had been completed in a 6:02 pace, so thought, in theory, 6:13 just might be possible, and sure, if not, no harm coming in a bit slower.

Race kicked off and I quickly lost the pacers, but my watch was showing a pace of around 6:21 / 6:22 for the first half, which I was happy with. I don't have a mile by mile breakdown, but the route is sort of triangular, one side up to Dunderry, one side across, and one side back down to Trim. There were some tough hills, especially on the third side of the triangle, which maybe weren't even as steep as earlier ones, but with tired legs, felt harder. But still, all very doable. Nothing like the Man O' War climb at the Race Series HM last year!

The hardest bit of all was the turn in to the Business Park as I knew I was near the end, the legs were tired, but I'd no idea where the finish line was. It felt like a long, long run until it even came in to sight. When I eventually saw the finish line and the clock was at 1:44:28 or something I made a dash to get under the 1:45:00, and made it in 1:44:46. But as I'd started a good bit back with the 100 minute pacers, my chip time was well over a minute even less than that. Of course I didn't know the chip time until I got home, but I was absolutely thrilled coming in under 1:45 - over 15 minute improvement on FD last year. Splits, if of any interest (per km, as that's how my watch is set up): 6:10, 6:21, 6:30, 6:18, 6:26, 6:16, 6.23, 6:33: 6:32, 6:16, 6:27, 6:33, 6:31, 6:31, 6:34, 6:15, 6:04.

I'd passed on the water at the two spots during the run. But I could have done with some at the finish. Unfortunately there was no water, or drink of any sort to be had at that stage, which was a disappointment, and the only negative for a well run event on a nice course - well done Trim A/C!

I got a massive blister, I think my first ever, I don't even remember getting any during DCM (black nails I got, but no blisters!). So it's ouchy times until that subsides.

Overall, I'm glad I did it, but it felt tough. It felt a lot more than twice as tough as Raheny though it was twice the distance. I do have a few HM lined up, but it does make me think that distances further than 10 mile possibly aren't for me. We'll see though. I could very well change my mind on that front.

Anyway, total for the week: 32.21km (running) / 44.70km (total including walks). 137.85km for January. Still on track for the 1000 mile challenge.

Month 2017 2018
    January 65.96 137.85
    February 71.25 27.03
    March 97.65
    April 92.23
    May 122.29
    June 123.79
    July 139.77
    August 162.93
    September 203.12
    October 197.53
    November 70.51
    December 117.12
    Total 1464.15 164.88

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Brilliant time today and a huge PB days like this are what all the hard work is for.

Don't beat yourself up about it feeling tough today you have raced twice in 7 days.

Look after that blister and pour yourself a glass of wine this evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Well done F. They are very consistent splits and no fall off towards the end which (despite your fears about longer distances) bodes well. I saw a post here somewhere which basically said that training better and getting fitter never means less pain, just that you get to the finish quicker. Don't let finding it tough put you off. You're doing fantastically well.

Brilliant QB. I agree with SKyblue’s point. I find Parkrun hard week as always pushing to do better. A 17 min pb over 10 miles is amazing! You are fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Wow, well done on a great PB at Trim. Sounds like a tough run but you nailed it. Hope your blister is not too sore.

• Advertisement

F that is a brilliant PB = 17 minutes in what - 6 months or less? Super effort and well deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Well done QB that's great progress. 10 miles and over is always going to be a tough run irrespective of pace. Look where you are now compared to week 1 day 1 of C25K, you should be really proud of your achievements.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

That is some improvement delighted for you all your hard work is paying off Well done on a great time and PB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Congratulations!! That's some PB, well done! Sounds like you were very solid throughout too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Wow that's some smash on your 10 mile pb! Well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Nice work at the weekend - well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Fantastic improvement there, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Congratulations, great effort. And plenty more from where that came from!

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭jimcricket

Well done lad , great even run. You'll get some improvement in the frank duffy this year. enjoy the training

I don't feel like I had a great week. I think I already mentioned that I was doing the HH plan from the DCM Novices thread. I was on WK 10, which had been a tough week for me the first time around and led to this defeatist post:
    Okay, I'm out!

My mistake then, it turned out, was trying to do my LSR too soon after the FD 10 mile, so I decided to try not to make the same mistake again after the Trim 10 mile, and leave the LSR until the end of the week, so...

Monday – Rest after Trim.

Tuesday – Intended to do 4 miles (6.4km), actually did 7.37km @ 7:13 pace.

Wednesday – Intended to do 7 miles (11.km) but the legs just didn't seem to want to function at all. By 2km in I was ready to quit, but was already on a circuit so kept going and finished that circuit which was 7.88km @ 6:54 pace. I left it at that, not going on to my second, shorter circuit to complete the distance. I tried slowing down in order to go further, but I felt I was going as slow as I could, though it wasn't feeling easy either. Maybe it was the cold, or the time of day (lunch-time, which I'm not really used to), or that I was still tired after Trim. The blister sustained at Trim was starting to hurt too, which didn't help.

Thursday – Intended to rest to conserve energy for LSR on Friday but I decided that my body just wasn't ready for a LSR, so I wouldn't do it on the following day. Once that was off the agenda, I no longer needed to rest, so did a 6.17km brisk walk instead.

Friday – This was originally intended to be the 15 miles LSR (24.1km) but as I'd already decided it wasn't going to happen this week, I went for another 6.14km brisk walk to at least get some exercise in.

Saturday – Parkrun, just over 30 minutes by the watch.

Sunday – Probably rest, though might get a walk in.

Total for the week: 20.24km (running) / 32.55km (total including walks). Below the average required for the 1000 mile challenge, but overall, still on track based.

One good thing about the HH plan this time around is that there are five weeks between Trim and Bohermeen, compared with only four weeks between FD and the HM last time. So, I get to repeat WK 10 again next week, hopefully with more success. Back in WK 7 of the plan, when I was required to do 12 miles, I actually did 13 miles, but I *feel* I've slipped in fitness since then and would in no way be capable of 13 miles. However, Bohermeen is still a month away so hopefully time to rectify that.

Month 2017 2018
    January 65.96 137.85
    February 71.25 47.27
    March 97.65
    April 92.23
    May 122.29
    June 123.79
    July 139.77
    August 162.93
    September 203.12
    October 197.53
    November 70.51
    December 117.12
    Total 1464.15 164.88

• Advertisement

Still a great weeks training Quickbeam and well done for listening to your body you will conquer this week 10 and I am looking forward to hearing all about it :)

Don't be worrying. There is no way you have lost fitness. You've done 2 tough races on consecutive weekends. That takes a toll but will repay with a healthy dividend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Every week you get out there is a good week; very important to listen to your body aswell. The body needs time to recover and an "easy" week is just as important as all the hard weeks you put in.

I know the marathon was a good few months ago now but all those hard weeks of training take their toll aswell.

That's still a great week QB. And remember you've no marathon at the end this time so you can repeat weeks as often as you need to. It's important to listen to your body. Are you eating & sleeping well?

ariana` wrote: »
    That's still a great week QB. And remember you've no marathon at the end this time so you can repeat weeks as often as you need to. It's important to listen to your body. Are you eating & sleeping well?

Thanks E! Yes, HH will be cut short once Bohermeen is over and I'll have to decide on another plan to keep me going after that. I might even be brave and start the graduates' plan!! :eek:

Sleep is grand, I'd say. If I have to be up early to fit in a run, I'm in bed early the previous night to make sure I get 8-9 hours sleep. (Shhh, don't tell anyone, but even if I don't have to be up early, I'm often in bed at crazy-early o'clock. I loves me sleep!!)

Eating - not so much. Baring the odd day or two, I'd a crap six weeks after Christmas, and put on about 1.5 stone from my lightest, and at least a stone from the minimum I want to be. I'm even officially (by BMI) overweight again. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if I wasn't running during that time too.

I had a few "back on the wagon" false starts during that time. However, I am on the wagon again a week so fingers crossed I keep it up this time. I had such discipline losing the weight when I was starting from such a bad place, and I really don't want to go putting it on again - though stats show that 80-90% of people do - all about leptin levels, and suchlike (I've done a bit of reading). So it's a bit of a fight against that at the moment. Whereas I was rarely even tempted by junk food during the two years losing the weight, I now really have to battle against temptation at the moment. Hopefully, like a drug addict or smoker, the longer I keep up that battle, the easier it'll get.

So ... that's a sort of long answer, the tldr version would be, eating is good at the moment but hasn't always been the past month or two. Weigh-in this week will indicate just how good I've been, but I expect it to be a loss to some degree anyway.

I've hesitated posting this, but maybe it will offer some sort of comfort to others in the same boat who struggle with their weight that they're not alone??

Thanks E! Yes, HH will be cut short once Bohermeen is over and I'll have to decide on another plan to keep me going after that. I might even be brave and start the graduates' plan!! :eek:

Sleep is grand, I'd say. If I have to be up early to fit in a run, I'm in bed early the previous night to make sure I get 8-9 hours sleep. (Shhh, don't tell anyone, but even if I don't have to be up early, I'm often in bed at crazy-early o'clock. I loves me sleep!!)

Eating - not so much. Baring the odd day or two, I'd a crap six weeks after Christmas, and put on about 1.5 stone from my lightest, and at least a stone from the minimum I want to be. I'm even officially (by BMI) overweight again. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if I wasn't running during that time too.

I had a few "back on the wagon" false starts during that time. However, I am on the wagon again a week so fingers crossed I keep it up this time. I had such discipline losing the weight when I was starting from such a bad place, and I really don't want to go putting it on again - though stats show that 80-90% of people do - all about leptin levels, and suchlike (I've done a bit of reading). So it's a bit of a fight against that at the moment. Whereas I was rarely even tempted by junk food during the two years losing the weight, I now really have to battle against temptation at the moment. Hopefully, like a drug addict or smoker, the longer I keep up that battle, the easier it'll get.

So ... that's a sort of long answer, the tldr version would be, eating is good at the moment but hasn't always been the past month or two. Weigh-in this week will indicate just how good I've been, but I expect it to be a loss to some degree anyway.

I've hesitated posting this, but maybe it will offer some sort of comfort to others in the same boat who struggle with their weight that they're not alone??

Thanks for the honesty.

You have done amazing to get where you are on all levels. You're a marathon runner, an athlete now. Look how far you've come. You've got this F, just hang in there, one day at a time or an hour at a time even, whatever works. It's not easy but you've proven determination already.

My week: WK 10 of the HH plan (Part 2):

Monday – After failing to even complete the middle distance run the previous week, I managed it first thing - 11.33km @ 7:06. Felt immeasurably better doing that than doing 7.88km the previous week.

Tuesday – 6.40km moderate walk.

Wednesday – LSR - 24.75km @ 7:24 pace - sounds good, huh? Except it was split over morning and evening. Not that I minded. I got nearly 15km done in the morning, which is nearly 10 miles, which is nearly half marathon distance. I did sort of feel I had enough in me to have kept going that morning, which means I'm feeling more optimistic for Bohermeen. The only thing that prevented it being finished that morning was me being a wuss about the cold, wind and rain - any one of which I can manage, sometimes even two, but when it comes to all three together I'm going to take the nearest route home!

Thursday – 6.22km brisk walk. I had intended it to be more of a stroll just to stretch the legs after the long run the previous day but it was so cold that I sped up to get it finished quicker. I even got hailed on so for about five minutes of it I was getting stung on my cheek and ears every few seconds with falling hail!

Friday – Nice 7.41km @ 7:06 pace short run.

Saturday – Parkrun. No PB, but sub 30 which I'm happy with. I usually drive there if I'm running, and walk if I'm volunteering, but as it was a nice morning, and I was feeling good, I decided to walk the 2km there as a warm-up (a real athlete would have jogged there, but I stuck to walking!!) I thought the extra exertion might have sapped me of a bit of energy for the run itself - I'd no doubt about completing it or anything, but I figured it'd probably be a slow one for the extra exercise before it. That, and due to the LSR only a few days previously too. So I was very pleasantly surprised to get the sub 30 result despite all. And got another nice 2km cool down walk home (which didn't record on my Garmin, damnit!!)

Sunday – Planned rest.

Total for the week: 48.48km (running) / 61.1km (total including walks). On track for 1000 miles.

Month 2017 2018
    January 65.96 137.85
    February 71.25 95.75
    March 97.65
    April 92.23
    May 122.29
    June 123.79
    July 139.77
    August 162.93
    September 203.12
    October 197.53
    November 70.51
    December 117.12
    Total 1464.15 233.60

My week:

And I've nothing much to report....

I did my usual Tuesday walk. And a spot of parkrun today in sub-31 minutes, which, considering the lack of running all week, I was actually pleasantly surprised by. Feeling very unfit though, and based on the forecast next week don't expect to be any more motivated to go out then than I was this week. At this rate, Bohermeen may have to be cancelled.

The only other news, is that my black toenail from DCM finally fell off. Others I've spoken to have had them lost and regrown long since, so I don't know what the delay with mine was. It came off nice and cleanly though, so hopefully it's nothing to worry about. Sorry if TMI.

My week:

And I've nothing much to report....

I did my usual Tuesday walk. And a spot of parkrun today in sub-31 minutes, which, considering the lack of running all week, I was actually pleasantly surprised by. Feeling very unfit though, and based on the forecast next week don't expect to be any more motivated to go out then than I was this week. At this rate, Bohermeen may have to be cancelled.

The only other news, is that my black toenail from DCM finally fell off. Others I've spoken to have had them lost and regrown long since, so I don't know what the delay with mine was. It came off nice and cleanly though, so hopefully it's nothing to worry about. Sorry if TMI.

A bit of positivity needed missus. You may feel unfit but that's just a feeling. The benefits of your months of running don't just vanish, you're as fit as you were 2 weeks ago. The feeling of not being fit is possibly down to tiredness after taking on Raheny and Trim back to back. A step back week or two is no harm and definitely no need to think of shelving Bohermeen. Keep the chin up. :)

• Advertisement

skyblue46 wrote: »
    A bit of positivity needed missus. You may feel unfit but that's just a feeling. The benefits of your months of running don't just vanish, you're as fit as you were 2 weeks ago. That's possibly down to tiredness after taking on Raheny and Trim back to back. A step back week or two is no harm and definitely no need to think of shelving Bohermeen. Keep the chin up. :)

Sound advice from S :) he is right the rest will do you good and you will be on fire for Bohermeen

My toe still looks rank no open toe shoes for me this summer unless I stick on false nails so I hope that means your nail will be back to normal in no time! mine never fell off and I thinks that is the problem with it looking so bad

Advertisement