Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickbeam me to the finish line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Only lost my own DCM toenail a couple of weeks ago, everyone is different! Nice parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Everybody needs a break so don’t beat yourself up over it. You’ve been driving on all winter and it’s been a long too. Considering the forecast why don’t you allow yourself a break for the next week doing something if you feel like it and maybe sit and decide what plan you are going to follow the following week!

No fitness will have been lost - just legs need loosening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

quickbeam wrote: »
    My week:

And I've nothing much to report....

I did my usual Tuesday walk. And a spot of parkrun today in sub-31 minutes, which, considering the lack of running all week, I was actually pleasantly surprised by. Feeling very unfit though, and based on the forecast next week don't expect to be any more motivated to go out then than I was this week. At this rate, Bohermeen may have to be cancelled.

The only other news, is that my black toenail from DCM finally fell off. Others I've spoken to have had them lost and regrown long since, so I don't know what the delay with mine was. It came off nice and cleanly though, so hopefully it's nothing to worry about. Sorry if TMI.

Motivation can be a problem this time of year I notice my millage always drops off around this time , You are doing more that I am at the moment if that's of any consolation. No harm having a few easy weeks now and then in the overall scheme of things.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Everybody needs a break so don’t beat yourself up over it. You’ve been driving on all winter and it’s been a long too. Considering the forecast why don’t you allow yourself a break for the next week doing something if you feel like it and maybe sit and decide what plan you are going to follow the following week!

No fitness will have been lost - just legs need loosening up.

I think that would only apply if I didn't have a HM coming up. If I have any chance at Bohermeen in two weeks I would really feel like I'd need at least a 10 mile under my belt next week (HH plan calls for a 12 mile, but 10 mile would give me enough of a psychological and physical boost, I reckon). Then the following week will be step back in preparation for the HM. So, here's fingers crossed for getting that done in between apocalyptic snow that's predicted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I think that would only apply if I didn't have a HM coming up. If I have any chance at Bohermeen in two weeks I would really feel like I'd need at least a 10 mile under my belt next week (HH plan calls for a 12 mile, but 10 mile would give me enough of a psychological and physical boost, I reckon). Then the following week will be step back in preparation for the HM. So, here's fingers crossed for getting that done in between apocalyptic snow that's predicted :)

I did my last long run today, 2 weeks before Bohermeen. Seems odd to have a 12 mile run the week before a half. Anyway take confidence from the accumulation of miles you have done rather than depending on one run.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

F, don't worry about the HM, you'll do fine. You've done a lot all Winter, following a marathon plan with no marathon! That's serious training. It's about being sensible now for the next 2 weeks and you'll be raring to go come the day.

It's been a while!

I've been in a rut. I lost my mojo. My diet went to pot. I can't even blame it all on Storm Emma. Here we go:

Three weeks ago, and I just couldn't bring myself to run. I did my usual Tuesday moderate walk and some Parkrun tourism, and that was the totality of it. Garmin had the Parkrun at 4.93km so that's what I'm taking as the sum total of my distance for the week in running.

Two weeks ago and I did my Tuesday moderate walk, and then the storm hit. The only possible change to my week had the storm not been about was that I might have got a Parkrun in, but any close to me were cancelled, even if I could have got out of my estate, which I couldn't. So, sum total of zero kilometers for the week.

Last week, Tuesday moderate walk, shorter than usual as my usual route was blocked by snow, but took just as long as there were drifts to climb over too. Wednesday I had a weigh-in and the result was shocking enough to put some sense in to me. I got back on the wagon from that day (again!). Friday, I did a very short run of where my local Parkrun takes place. I was going to do the full route but didn't have it in me after three weeks of inactivity and crap diet so only did one circuit instead of two. I was volunteering on Saturday so didn't run Parkrun either. And Sunday was Bohermeen, which, well, as you probably saw on the thread for that race, I wasn't doing and passed on my spot there. It was absolutely the right decision. If I couldn't even do 5km on Friday then what chance did I have for 21km or even if I'd gone down to the 10km route, on Sunday? I have absolutely no regrets, though delighted that all my fellow classmates of DCM17 did so well. Sum total of the week: 2.65km.

This week, I knew I had to get back to it, or I probably never would. The aim was to run three times mid-week, even if they were only short runs, just to get back in the habit of getting up and running. Monday I did 3.87km, Tuesday I did my usual walk, Wednesday I did 5.12km, Thursday was rest, Friday was 6.55km. So, happy days, routine back, and hopefully to stay. Today I went to Parkrun, got to the start line and nearly turned around and went home - what a miserable day! I didn't go home though, I did the run, and it was one of the toughest runs I've ever done. I nearly quit half way. What kept me going was that I'm coming up to a milestone number of Parkruns, and having already missed one because of Emma I was reluctant to miss another. I did it in a time I would have been proud of a year ago. Less so today. But just happy to have completed it when I wanted to give up, so at least there's that!

1000 mile goal now way off track:

Month 2017 2018
    January 65.96 137.85
    February 71.25 100.68
    March 97.65 23.21
    April 92.23
    May 122.29
    June 123.79
    July 139.77
    August 162.93
    September 203.12
    October 197.53
    November 70.51
    December 117.12
    Total 1464.15 261.74

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

It's been a while!

This week, I knew I had to get back to it, or I probably never would. The aim was to run three times mid-week, even if they were only short runs, just to get back in the habit of getting up and running. Monday I did 3.87km, Tuesday I did my usual walk, Wednesday I did 5.12km, Thursday was rest, Friday was 6.55km. So, happy days, routine back, and hopefully to stay. Today I went to Parkrun, got to the start line and nearly turned around and went home - what a miserable day! I didn't go home though, I did the run, and it was one of the toughest runs I've ever done. I nearly quit half way. What kept me going was that I'm coming up to a milestone number of Parkruns, and having already missed one because of Emma I was reluctant to miss another. I did it in a time I would have been proud of a year ago. Less so today. But just happy to have completed it when I wanted to give up, so at least there's that!

1000 mile goal now way off track:

Month 2017 2018
    January 65.96 137.85
    February 71.25 100.68
    March 97.65 23.21
    April 92.23
    May 122.29
    June 123.79
    July 139.77
    August 162.93
    September 203.12
    October 197.53
    November 70.51
    December 117.12
    Total 1464.15 261.74

But you didn't. You stayed out and got it done; today's conditions were hard enough for all of us running out here. Maybe the old mojo is coming back and you haven't realised it yet. Well done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

WW is bang on you kept on getting out there...losing the mojo slightly is totally understandable; it is tough to even get out when the weather is like it has been; it could also be your body saying "Just give me a break" after the cumulative months of training you have put in.

The clocks are going forward soon brighter evenings and hopefully some better weather and you will be back on track in no time.

Delighted to see you back logging F. Don't beat yourself up about the couple of weeks, look forward now. You had the right attitude this week with consistent midweek runs and well done on a really tough parkrun too. My son had rugby training on Saturday morning and for the first time in 3 yrs he left early and came home in tears... he was perished despite all his layers of really good quality under armour gear. You showed mental toughness to persevere on a tough day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I think we can all relate to the feeling of having lost the mojo and the struggle of getting back out there. It really is tough trying to get back to that routine. The parkruns are great for keeping some sort of routine going.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I think that sometimes if the routine is disrupted at all, like Storm Emma hitting us, then it is so difficult to get back into it. Well done on doing the Parkrun on Saturday. Take it one day and one run at a time. We are all wrecked after a long Winter. Look forward to the longer evenings and hopefully your mojo will be well and truly back before long.

It's been a while!

Once again! :(

Nearly four weeks to catch up on, will be brief.

4 weeks ago - one decent walk, one very short run and a Parkrun. It was my monthly tourism stint and I figured since I felt so unfit anyway and likely not to be able to run the whole thing without stopping, I might as well run at a venue where there's a good excuse to stop and walk, so chose Cabinteely (added bonus that it was their birthday) and walked up the infamous hill the first two circuits, but just about managed to run it on the third as I couldn't bear the thought of walking to the finish line. Tough. Though it's now officially ticked off the list, it will require a return visit some day to say I've actually run the whole thing.

3 weeks ago - even worse! One decent walk. Volunteered at my local Parkrun to avoid having to fail to complete it. Aim was to at least run the short (2km) distance there and back, but couldn't manage more than half the distance each way. Still, at least between the walking and the little running it was 4km on my feet :rolleyes:

2 weeks ago, ie last week - somewhat back on track. One decent walk, one shortish run that happened to be a PB on that route. Then, the aim was to walk my local Parkrun so ran the 2km there, happy to manage it this time, but circumstances meant that instead of actually walking the Parkrun, I ended up running it instead. A pretty lousy time, but delighted to finish it at all after dropping so much fitness. Then a walk home.

This week - better. Monday 5.18km, Tuesday decent walk, Wednesday 7.37km and a PB on that route, Thursday rest, Friday 5.18km, Saturday rest. Today I did the Great Irish Run 10km. I nearly didn't, but it was the weather that was putting me off rather than the run itself. My aim was just to finish the distance, as I'd not run 10km in two months. I set the watch but very deliberately didn't check my pace en route, just concentrated on running. I enjoyed the downhills, and conserved my energy doing them so I'd have enough for the uphills which I took slowly. I felt quite well coming up Furze Road towards the end, and tried to finish strong. Official time 1:08:35 which I was very pleased with. It's at least 5 minutes slower than I think I could have done if I'd not lost fitness the last few months, but, considering where I'd come from, I was very happy with it, and it's actually, a nearly 4 minute PB on my last 10k which was the Race Series last year.

Today's race was the first of four 10k race I have in a row the next few months - Drogheda, Clonee and Race Series in May, June and July respectively. Hopefully I can make some real progress on regaining the fitness and get some very decent results out of them. That is, provided the head stays screwed on and I don't lose myself again!

And thanks to the '18 Graduates for the support these past few months.

Month 2017 2018
    January 65.96 137.85
    February 71.25 100.68
    March 97.65 33.40
    April 92.23 38.92
    May 122.29
    June 123.79
    July 139.77
    August 162.93
    September 203.12
    October 197.53
    November 70.51
    December 117.12
    Total 1464.15 310.85

Delighted to see you back on track QB. Well done today. You still have a good base fitness there and you will get back on a roll now.

Whoop whoop a 4 minute pb you certainly pulled that out of the bag well done QB (i always think Queen Bee when i write that by the way :pac:), you did super. Lets keep the streak going now, it's good to have you back :)

Well done on the 10km yesterday. Great to see you back with a running routine.

Nothing very exciting to report, but I didn't want to leave it weeks on end to report again:

Monday - 3.88km recovery after the Great Ireland Run
    Tuesday - decent brisk walk
    Wednesday - 5km
    Thursday - rest
    Friday - 5km
    Saturday - 5km Parkrun tourism with an improved time compared with previous three, though not back to optimum speed yet.
    Sunday - planned rest

No shattering speeds or distances or anything but I'm happy, at least, that I'm back in the routine of going out three times midweek and one weekend at least.

Bless me followers, for I have seriously fallen off the wagon.

Three stone up.
    Zero running.
    Zero exercise of any kind.
    Crap diet.
    Last ran Parkrun on 2nd June, nearly 5 minutes off my PB. As bad as that time was, I'd not even get around the route without stopping to walk now.

So, less than one year after completing a bloomin' marathon :rolleyes:, and I'm back to scratch by starting C25K again. I think it's the right way to go as if I tried to just go out for a run I'd just find it depressing how quickly it'd take for me to run out of steam. Sure, last time (volunteering) at Parkrun, I jogged from the finish line back to the car, a couple of hundred meters at most, and it left me shocked at how tough I found it, so am happy with taking this route back to fitness. On the positive side, WK D1 felt relatively easy. Much easier than the first time I tried it two years ago.

So, here's to doing an actual Parkrun again in 8 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Bless me followers, for I have seriously fallen off the wagon.

Three stone up.
    Zero running.
    Zero exercise of any kind.
    Crap diet.
    Last ran Parkrun on 2nd June, nearly 5 minutes off my PB. As bad as that time was, I'd not even get around the route without stopping to walk now.

So, less than one year after completing a bloomin' marathon :rolleyes:, and I'm back to scratch by starting C25K again. I think it's the right way to go as if I tried to just go out for a run I'd just find it depressing how quickly it'd take for me to run out of steam. Sure, last time (volunteering) at Parkrun, I jogged from the finish line back to the car, a couple of hundred meters at most, and it left me shocked at how tough I found it, so am happy with taking this route back to fitness. On the positive side, WK D1 felt relatively easy. Much easier than the first time I tried it two years ago.

So, here's to doing an actual Parkrun again in 8 weeks!

Good to have you back. Good luck with C25k. I'm sure most of us have fallen off the running wagon at some point. I definitely had a few goes of C25k, myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Delighted to see you back :) I think you will find it easier and that fitness comes back quickly as well :)

Best of luck and please keep us updated

Great to see you posting again quickbeam.

Good luck with the running, you won't be long getting your fitness back.

Welcome back. The first step is the hardest. Keeping posting here it'll really help to keep you on track. Best of luck with C25K and roll on 8wks, it won't be long coming around.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

Best of luck F, delighted for you.

Your fitness will be back in no time.

Nice to see your log updated! Enjoy getting back into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Great to see that you're back in action again F. The fitness will return sooner than you think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Stanleigh

I have just read through the whole post and what an inspiration you are ! Great to see you back running, I am only starting to run after a 8 year hiatus, so was delighted to read your progress. Well done !

Not much of an update, except to say that I'm still doing C25K. First week, last week felt kinda easy, especially compared to the first time I did it two years ago. Second week, this past week felt at least as difficult if not more so than last year. On to third week next week.

Diet's still for sh!t but getting back to a more normal routine tomorrow after a weird-ass summer for me, so hopefully that will help somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great to see you back......take things nice and easy and just be sensible and you will be back into it in no time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

What week are you on now Quickbeam :)

Advertisement