Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quickbeam me to the finish line

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

You will be well able for it :) so I think go for it and enjoy it as best you can

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Yep, I did it! You guys had more confidence in me than I had. Lack of running the last two weeks would have made it a difficult task already. But then I'd had a tough, physical day at work on NYE so had thought running one parkrun, never mind two might just be off the cards.

The first one, I took slow (even for me!) Actually each parkrun I do, I try and improve my time, so deliberately running slowly was a new experience for me and it was actually just nice to plod along and conserve energy for the second one.

The second, I also did slow but that not a conscious decision to keep slow, it was just the best I could do with the energy available to me. It was tough going and I really wanted to stop to walk but forced myself on. There was actually only five seconds between the two times at the end, but the second felt about ten times tougher.

Overall, a fairly awful year for me. I'll not bother to rehash, I just hope this year will be better.

However, on the positive:
    Achieved 50 parkruns in June.
    25 volunteer jobs in October.
    Have completed 12 different parkruns so far (most this year, this time last year, I'd only done three different ones, and two of those were at Christmas and New Years Day respectively)
    I'm a Parkrun Challenges addict. I have 10/25 of the alphabet complete. 28/60 of the stopwatch bingo (one of today's added to one of these).

Parkrun is just so much more enjoyable to me than races, so I'll probably concentrate on that for this year, and a few more tourist stints. As well as my own mid-week training.

If I am to do a race this year, it'll likely only be the Boyne 10k. Last year I made a hames of it, so would like to remedy that.

Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Well done QB. The main thing is to enjoy it and I think it’s great that you enjoy parkrun and the challenges as there are so many about the place and more than enough to keep you occupied there.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Lovely way to start the new year F and great to see you getting your running mojo back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Really well done on doing the double especially with all the doubts flying about in your head, that took real mental toughness. Not a great year F but you pulled it back brilliant in the latter months and that's what counts now, you have a good base to build on again and you have goals based on what you enjoy so that will make really help with motivation. I hope you have a great year and i look forward to following your progress :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

I am only getting a chance to reply now :D but delighted you went for it and knew you were well able :)

Good luck in 2019 and I hope you keep loging

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Well done QB. The main thing is to enjoy it and I think it’s great that you enjoy parkrun and the challenges as there are so many about the place and more than enough to keep you occupied there.
    Lovely way to start the new year F and great to see you getting your running mojo back!
    ariana` wrote: »
    Really well done on doing the double especially with all the doubts flying about in your head, that took real mental toughness. Not a great year F but you pulled it back brilliant in the latter months and that's what counts now, you have a good base to build on again and you have goals based on what you enjoy so that will make really help with motivation. I hope you have a great year and i look forward to following your progress :)
    Baby75 wrote: »
    I am only getting a chance to reply now :D but delighted you went for it and knew you were well able :)

Good luck in 2019 and I hope you keep loging

Thanks ladies. I paid for it today, but still glad to have done it.

I'm not sure I enjoyed it exactly but I am glad I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

quickbeam wrote: »
    Thanks ladies. I paid for it today, but still glad to have done it.

I'm not sure I enjoyed it exactly but I am glad I did it.

Ah I’m not sure I enjoy races while I’m actually doing them but I love the feeling after.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,392 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Best of luck in your parkrun challenges for 2019.
    (If you ever find yourself looking to do Athlone, drop me a pm)

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Best of luck in your parkrun challenges for 2019.
    (If you ever find yourself looking to do Athlone, drop me a pm)

I've done Athlone, so it's officially ticked off, but it is one of two that I've officially done that I had to walk so would like to do again to say that I've done properly (Cabinteely being the other). Will give you a shout if I ever get out there again.

I've not run since NYD, and it showed at today's parkrun. I mentally wasn't really there, and did crap. Time to get the socks on and start more regular training. And eating better. :(:(:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement