Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disney Reportedly in Talks to Purchase 21st Century Fox

• 06-11-2017 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭

Figured this warrants a thread of it's own. According to the thread title via CNBC.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/06/21st-century-fox-has-been-holding-talks-to-sell-most-of-company-to-disney-sources.html
    The talks have taken place over the last few weeks and there is no certainty they will lead to a deal. The two sides are not currently talking at this very moment, but given the on again, off again nature of the talks, they could be revisited.
    21st Century Fox has been holding talks to sell most of the company to Walt Disney Co., according to people familiar with the situation.

Disney would not purchase all of Fox, according to people with knowledge of the talks.

Fox is said to believe that a more tightly focused group of properties around news and sports could compete more effectively.

The two sides are not currently talking at this very moment, sources said

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,969 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

They won't give us back or sell us back our X-Men rights so we will just buy the whole company to get them back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Marvel implications aside, the idea of Disney owning ANOTHER entertainment behemoth feels pretty uncomfortable.

As for Marvel, honestly Fox - FX particularly - are the only channel making a decent go of unique and original takes on the Marvel franchises at the moment so I'd hate to see something Legion get canned because it''s not MCU friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,484 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Legion was okayed by Marvel same with Gifted, Marvel also does the Netflix stuff I wouldn't be too worried

Just give me Secret Wars damn it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,385 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    Marvel implications aside, the idea of Disney owning ANOTHER entertainment behemoth feels pretty uncomfortable.

As for Marvel, honestly Fox - FX particularly - are the only channel making a decent go of unique and original takes on the Marvel franchises at the moment so I'd hate to see something Legion get canned because it''s not MCU friendly.

I think I read that any deal couldn't include the Fox TV stations due to competition rules (as Disney already own ABC and companies can't own two competing TV stations), which means Fox/FX could possibly retain some TV rights to X-Men Marvel shows while Disney get all the film rights.

Either way, seems like at the moment the deal is currently dead anyway, though nothing stays dead in comic-world so could come back to life in the future.

• Advertisement

In fairness, Fox can hardly be lauded for how they treated Deadpool either given his first appearance in Wolverine. He didn't even have a f*cking mouth!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

CNBC reporting that a deal could be announced next week.

Disney's streaming service will be a major player now if this happens.

The question is how long will it take to wheel out worldwide with existing contracts in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

If they get the Xmen rights back maybe they could do a swapsy with Sony for all of spidermans rights.  I wouldn't mind the Xmen being in their own seperate universe and everything else in the MCU.

• Advertisement

Nah they have use of spiderman more or less anyway and they'd be foolish to move the X-men after waiting so long to get them back

X-Men and Fantastic four done right will be monster earners for Marvel/Disney espcially the X-men .

It's happening now for $52 billion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well I mean from a Marvel POV it's intriguing news, maybe even exciting, but I can't get excited or supportive about something that's demonstrably creating an even bigger entertainment monopoly.

Sky was also part of the deal.

Sky was also part of the deal.

That's because Murdoch wants to bring Fox News to the UK, but was being blocked due to their ownership of Sky and how they already had Sky News.

Which means the UK is likely to now get infected with the blight that is Fox News.

On the other hand though, it's great that Marvel now have the rights to X-Men and Fantastic Four back (though I'm hearing there may be a further hurdle to getting full rights over Fantastic Four, some other company holds some rights or something). A shame they don't have full rights over Spider-Man too but the deal seems to be working well between them and Sony

So corporate monopoly, and the threat of Fox News appearing in the UK (and, let's face it, Ireland)? Not entirely sure what's the big win here, it feels like a big price for a few comic IPs going back to their owners...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

There's an easy way of Merging the X-Men universe and the Main MCU - Get Thanos to do it

Either that or, and this is my preferred option, start the x-men from scratch (excluding Deadpool of course)

There isn't much linking the merc with the mouth to the X-Men universe so it's not a problem keeping him as is.

So corporate monopoly, and the threat of Fox News appearing in the UK (and, let's face it, Ireland)? Not entirely sure what's the big win here, it feels like a big price for a few comic IPs going back to their owners...

It's not a corporate monopoly. WB still have the entirety of the DC rights iirc, as well as smaller comic book properties out there like Hellboy. Plus Sony are still moving forward with their Spider-Man off-shoot films like Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable. Just because Disney now have the film rights to all the Marvel characters doesn't mean they own the superhero genre, though yes, between Disney films, Star Wars and Marvel, they do have most of the biggest franchises in cinema history now.

In terms of superhero films though, I think the big win is that fans might now get to see some of their favourite characters and stories done right, and see characters together on screen we never thought we might. Marvel negotiated a shared rights deal for Spider-Man and made a film three times better than the previous three Spider-Man films combined. While Fox did well with Logan, Deadpool and some of the X-Men films, they've also given us duds like Apocalpyse, the first two Wolverine films, Fantastic 4 and X-Men Last Stand.

So yeah, I think most fans of the genre would consider this a win because it opens the next phase of Marvel films up to so many possibilities, with a company who has consistently cracked the formula (some duds along the way, absolutely, but far more successes than not) and been able to give fans what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Penn wrote: »

It's not a corporate monopoly. WB still have the entirety of the DC rights iirc, as well as smaller comic book properties out there like Hellboy. Plus Sony are still moving forward with their Spider-Man off-shoot films like Venom and Black Cat/Silver Sable. Just because Disney now have the film rights to all the Marvel characters doesn't mean they own the superhero genre, though yes, between Disney films, Star Wars and Marvel, they do have most of the biggest franchises in cinema history now.

In terms of superhero films though, I think the big win is that fans might now get to see some of their favourite characters and stories done right, and see characters together on screen we never thought we might. Marvel negotiated a shared rights deal for Spider-Man and made a film three times better than the previous three Spider-Man films combined. While Fox did well with Logan, Deadpool and some of the X-Men films, they've also given us duds like Apocalpyse, the first two Wolverine films, Fantastic 4 and X-Men Last Stand.

So yeah, I think most fans of the genre would consider this a win because it opens the next phase of Marvel films up to so many possibilities, with a company who has consistently cracked the formula (some duds along the way, absolutely, but far more successes than not) and been able to give fans what they want.

Is Hellboy not with Fox?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Is Hellboy not with Fox?

Just checked there, no. First film was with Columbia and the upcoming film is with Lionsgate.

I was just trying to use an example for smaller comic book properties which are neither Disney/Marvel or WB/DC.

• Advertisement

A monopoly isn't happening , Disney aren't stopping people making movies ....

Advertisement