Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PhD funding

• 06-11-2017 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭

Hi, I'm looking into studying for a PhD in psychology. Ive been in contact with a possible supervisor and I'm exploring topics.

I'm working as a teacher, 2 days a week and I just had a child.

Finance would be a problem and I won't qualify for the SUSI grant. I've yet to speak to my possible supervisor about this as I don't think this will do me any favours and am planning on holding off until they've decided to take me on (fingers crossed).

However, can someone shed some light on this for me; what percentage of PhD students get some form of bursary? I would be hoping for my fees paid which are just under 5k (part time) per year. Is this likely?

I've a cert, a degree, a Post grad and a Masters.

Thanks everyone for any help and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

If you go the full-time route you can apply to the IRC for the GOI Postgraduate Scholarship. I think the success rate for this would be in the region of 15-25% (approx. 100 awardees per stream). The deadline for 2018 has passed, unfortunately. Alternatively, many schools offer competitive stipends. The success rate and amount will vary by school/college.

I expect that your experience and qualifications would stand well in any application you make provided they are quite close to your PhD topic.

I am not aware of any part-time assistance unfortunately (though I hope to be proven wrong!). However, if you can secure an IRC award or a generous college stipend, you might get 4 years of funding (approx. 16,000 per year plus fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Emmser

Zoinks wrote: »
    If you go the full-time route you can apply to the IRC for the GOI Postgraduate Scholarship. I think the success rate for this would be in the region of 15-25% (approx. 100 awardees per stream). The deadline for 2018 has passed, unfortunately. Alternatively, many schools offer competitive stipends. The success rate and amount will vary by school/college.

I expect that your experience and qualifications would stand well in any application you make provided they are quite close to your PhD topic.

I am not aware of any part-time assistance unfortunately (though I hope to be proven wrong!). However, if you can secure an IRC award or a generous college stipend, you might get 4 years of funding (approx. 16,000 per year plus fees).

Thank you so much. That was very informative.

Do you know if you go full time and hope to get the stipend, if you can keep two days of work going? If there was additional income would that be an issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

Do you know if you go full time and hope to get the stipend, if you can keep two days of work going? If there was additional income would that be an issue?

There are typically restrictions on extra work, this is what I can find from the IRC:
    8.9. A scholar’s first duty is to the successful completion of the scholarship for which s/he
    has been awarded Council funding.
    8.10. Scholars must engage full-time in research during the funding term. Scholars must not
    assume any other duties that would adversely affect their ability to engage in the
    scholarship on a full-time basis. This includes undertaking remunerative employment
    (with the exception of that pertaining to teaching-related duties as per clause 8.12)
    during the funding term.
    8.11. The first year of the degree should be devoted exclusively to the development of the
    research project and the training and career development plan4
    8.12. Teaching is an essential means for the structuring and dissemination of knowledge and
    should be considered valuable within the scholar’s career. The Council therefore allows
    scholars to undertake such additional duties, for example teaching duties, supervision,
    education provision and support activities, in the second and subsequent years of their
    degree, provided the following conditions are met:
    8.12.1. the scholar obtains prior approval from their academic supervisor and
    retains a record of same;
    8.12.2. the additional duties do not exceed a total of 50 hours per academic term
    and do not adversely affect the scholar, particularly at the beginning of
    their career, in carrying out their research activities;
    8.12.3. the additional duties are relevant to the research funded by the scholarship
    and consistent with the training and career development plan agreed by
    the scholar and their academic supervisor

This is quite strict considering obviously the monthly payment is well short of minimum wage. A college funded stipend could potentially be more accommodating than that--it could be discussed with your supervisor.

My own view, after having submitted a thesis, is that 20 hours per week for the first 3 years if on a 4 year programme, or 2 if on a 3 year programme, should be quite manageable (I did not have family commitments though, so I have no experience to reflect on there!). With that said, the final year could be chaos and additional work responsibilities could be an immense strain. This will vary by person and the type of work they are doing, but I would advise caution in holding any substantial work commitments in your last year.

Advertisement