Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Huzzah! wrote: »
    The long run in week 13 looks :eek:

Week 12? The 20 miler? Challenging alright I’d say.

The posters earlier were saying to be doing upto 15 miles at mp.

I totally agree about slowing the pace of the easy runs and with the way my week is structured I couldn’t do the run the day before the long run but would be doing a recovery run the day after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭runrun2

Hi Kelly, did you know that you can buy personal marathon plans from the likes of Gary O'Hanlon or Kevin English?

It would take all of the woes you have about generic plans and all you'd have to do is follow what they tell you but at a price.

I'm sure the Claw does it too and Catherina Mc Kiernan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

runrun2 wrote: »
    Hi Kelly, did you know that you can buy personal marathon plans from the likes of Gary O'Hanlon or Kevin English?

It would take all of the woes you have about generic plans and all you'd have to do is follow what they tell you but at a price.

I think DiegoB of these parts used a plan by Gary O Hanlon for the Donadea 50k.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I think DiegoB of these parts used a plan by Gary O Hanlon for the Donadea 50k.

Yeah so did that guy who did well in the Longford marathon who also had a blog.

That could be interesting alright depending on how affordable it would be! Wonder what sort of price it would be. Having said that I still think the Boards plan with the extra mileage and mp miles is the simplest idea. Just want to make sure I structure the mp miles as best as I can.
    Yeah so did that guy who did well in the Longford marathon who also had a blog.

Is that somebody here on Boards?

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote: »
    That could be interesting alright depending on how affordable it would be! Wonder what sort of price it would be. Having said that I still think the Boards plan with the extra mileage and mp miles is the simplest idea. Just want to make sure I structure the mp miles as best as I can.

Is that somebody here on Boards?

Yeah Im sure Sky could remember him, he was only logging here for one marathon i think and he was fast. Not in the 4 hour bracket.

Just google any of those names I gave you and they'll throw up contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Yeah Im sure Sky could remember him, he was only logging here for one marathon i think and he was fast. Not in the 4 hour bracket.

Just google any of those names I gave you and they'll throw up contact details.

pgarr is his Boards name.

I'd go with Kevin English, I think he seems really enthusiastic about running at the moment and he'd give you more bang for your buck.

Updating my log now as off on holidays tomorrow.

Sunday - Recovery run 4.19 miles @ 10:47

An early run before work. Just dumped the car in town and off I went. I needed to do minimum 3.76 miles to get to 700 miles for the year. Set off and my legs felt quite heavy. Plodded on slowly and out the Western road and back in the Mardyke. Fascinated by the amount of tourists walking round with nothing open or to see besides a dirty city at that time of the morning. Loosened up eventually and somehow did the last mile as a 9 min mile without noticing even though all others were over 11 min miles.

60 min easy run 5.57 miles @ 11.11
    Ran with a friend. Nice run. I think the gps was acting in the park with the trees as it felt much steadier than the splits were afterwards.

Wednesday 1 mile WU; 4 mile MP; 1 mile CD
    Not following a plan yet but this was one of the workouts on the Boards plan so just did it to try and practice steady pacing. Created it as a workout on my watch with warm up and cool down at an 11 min mile and the MP miles at a 9 min mile.
    Paces turned out to be 10:55; 8:58; 8;52; 9:01; 9:05; 10:44
    I was pretty pleased with them but I worked two hard for the first two mp miles. These were drags uphill with a sharp downhill and I put too much effort in. The 3rd MP mile was just lovely and steady and I was delighted to see it was bang on.

I’m saying MP is a 9 min mile now. Maybe that’s a bit mad. I don’t think I’ve a sub 4 in me for Dublin so I wonder should I see how it goes as I’m training. McMillan and Runfastcoach are giving me that based on my 5 mile race but there’s a big difference. Hopefully Killarney HM will give me more guidance.

Thursday 6.45 miles @ 10:42
    Bit faster than planned - I intended doing an easy run at an 11 min mile. Was in good company and taken on a new route and didn’t worry too much as possibly no more running for the next 9 days. Going on hols tomorrow and may or may not run. I’m not going to worry about it. Hoping to get a run in more to see the area than for fitness. I feel I need a break and my achilles is at me. Have texted the physio to set up an appointment for when I come home to make sure i’m Ship shape starting DCM Training.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Have a great holiday and enjoy the break. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Enjoy the holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Have a really great holiday. You've had a great start to the year, so definitely don't worry if you don't get some running in. You'll be nice and fresh and raring to go when you get back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

enjoy the holidays :D if that Achilles is at you then rest and if you can start doing some eccentric heel drops

I do two exercises 15 of each x 3 twice a day I hope physio can get you in and do some ultrasound if needed if it is only niggly now resting icing and doing the rehab exercises won't put a dent in any training for DCM I know I am probably OTT over it but look at me nearly 4 months gone because of mine! :eek:

also, watch flat shoes and high heels they can make it worse :(

I will try to find a video of the exercises for you

Holidays

We went to Salou in Spain for 9 days and I had no big plans to run. I felt I needed a break and my family needed a break. That said, I had heard about the fabulous promenade from Salou to Cambrils so I had to run some of it. So last Wednesday I got up at 7am and headed straight out and decided just to run easy for as long as I felt good. My Achilles (I think) is giving me trouble so I’m very wary until I see my physio. Anyway it was a beautiful run and I did 6 miles @ 11.07 on average. The achilles didn’t give me any trouble really. Felt it the odd time and it felt good all day afterwards.

Decathlon expedition
    I was dying to get to Decathlon. Found out it was about a 30 min walk from the campsite so headed off by myself. I was very excited getting there. I was slightly disappointed initially as they were lacking normal sizes. Nearly everything I wanted was only available in XXL or XXS. Anyway, took a while and some searching and still managed to spend a small fortune there. For anybody else going the sizes are a bit odd at times and I literally came with small, medium and large. 2 tops the same brand and same style are a medium and a large. Bit reluctant to buy on line from there now. Anyway, walked back to the campsite. Was only 1.7 miles but my achilles and under my foot really hurt to the point of nearly limping.

Home run
    We got home this afternoon and I was dying to get out for a run so got out late this eve. Just did 5km very slowly. Feeling very overweight after a good few weeks of bad diet so healthy eating started this evening and an online shop done and I am back on track. The legs were fine running but I just felt heavy! Got to wear my new running skirt from Decathlon anyway!

What’s next - DCM Training
    Obviously this achilles could be an issue but I’ve been onto the physio and even though I can’t see her until the 18th due to her holidays she is happy with me to continue running as long as I’m very careful and stop if I think I could be in trouble or heading that way. I might pump up the tires in my bike and as she pointed out, my legs know how to run so just keep up the fitness and she’ll sort me out in a few weeks.

Going to jump into week 2 of the Boards plan as of tomorrow. I will be increasing the mileage to what I’m used to doing weekly and build from there. Healthy eating too from tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back on track now and fingers crossed no issues.

DCM Training - 17 weeks to go

I have modified the Boards Plan to increase the mileage in the easy runs to what I was used to when training for Cork. I’ll keep Wednesday’s session as is and the distance of the long run but add pace miles into that.

I went into this week a bit nervous as I thought my achilles was in big trouble. However I foam rolled twice daily and iced after runs and while it’s still tight in the mornings and a bit twingey there is a huge improvement. I’d guess the physio needs to work on something behind my knee and my calf and hopefully I’ll be sorted.

Monday: Planned 5 miles easy (11:00 min mile)
    Actual: 5 miles @ 11:20;

27 degrees while driving in at 8pm to meet my friend and I got nervous. We set off and it was tough even at the slow pace we were doing. As we coming up to the 4 mile mark I needed to make a pit stop and we used the time to buy bottles of water before we did the last mile. Was a really sluggish run.

Wednesday: Planned 1M WU; 3M Pace; 1M CD
    Actual: 1M WU @ 10:45; Pace miles (8:57; 9:13; ...and walking ...

Disastrous run. Dropped the kids off and was running at 9:45. It was roasting. I went to the park thinking I’d have shade and during the warm up it dawned on me that GPS would be all over the place. I knew doing a figure of 8 of the pitches works out as a mile so decided I’d do 3 of them and try and keep my pacing consistent. Of course the sun was then beating down on me and very humid but didn’t think of that. I did the first pace mile and found it tough after a bit. My breathing was much heavier than it normally would be. As I started the 2nd pace mile I was struggling but kept going. This was horrible. Once I finished that I gave up. Too many negative thoughts and I could really feel the achilles. In all honesty on another day I’d run through that. I was jogging slowly for the next half mile and headed into the shaded trails but decided it was stupid and I was risking the achilles so I gave up and walked.

I was miserable for the rest of the day convinced I’d lost all my fitness and blaming the extra weight I’ve put on etc. On a positive note I foam rolled and iced.

Thursday: Planned 5 mile easy (11 min mile)
    Actual: 5 mile @ 10:39

Got up at 6am and drove to where I run and set off. It was fab out and while it was really hard to get out of bed once I was dressed and out the door it was grand. I park in a local petrol station which was jam packed at 6:30 - I’d assumed it would be closed! Was a little fast running but was conscious of getting home and needed it mentally really after the horrible run the day before. Got home, foam rolled, showered, breakfast, dropped eldest to camp and back to ice the achilles. As the day went on I felt really good. In fact it was the first day since I can remember that the pain was completely gone!! I’m back on track - woohoo :D

Saturday: planned: 10 mile lsr
    Actual 10 mile @ 10:22

5:30 start for this one for coffee and a light breakfast and drove over to Douglas to my friend’s house. We set off at 6:30. Stunning morning. I had said an 11 min mile with the last 3 a bit faster but didn’t look at my watch and we just had a good catch up so we were faster overall. The miles just disappeared. Couldn’t get over when my watch vibrated at one stage and we’d 5 miles done. I did notice we had just done a 10:03 mile and we discussed it but it felt good and to be honest I needed it. We had some uphills after that so slowed down a bit and the last two miles were really warm.

Sunday: Planned: 3 mile recovery run
    Actual: 3.43 miles @ 11:06

Gentle little run before work. I did the extra .4 mile to make up for the bit I missed on Wednesday because I clearly have OCD and wanted 28 miles as my total this week and not 27.6 :rolleyes:

I am the A/R/Tist in the Spotlight this week if anybody wants to ask some questions!!

Whatever about doing a session in this heat, fair play on the foam rolling. It really feels like a bridge too far for me at the moment. Hope the Achilles continues to improve and good luck with this training cycle :)

DCM Training - 15 weeks to go

Must have counted wrong last week when I said 17 weeks to go!

Monday: Planned 5 miles easy
    Actual: 5 miles @ 10:38

Can’t really remember anything too much about this run.

Wednesday: Planned 5 miles with hill sprints
    Actual: 1M Warm Up; 3 @ pace; 1M CD

I wasn’t going to risk hills with my achilles at me and not seeing the physio until this week so decided I’d repeat last week’s workout and complete it this time.

Went to the park where a figure of 8 of two pitches is just over 1 mile. Did my warm up running to the pitches and then started my 3 figure of 8s. Lovely warm evening and people were still lying on the grass and chilling out and I felt like a lunatic running past the same people all the time. Anyway, it was grand. 2nd mile was lovely in particular and my splits were 9:06; 9:08; 8:59 so very pleased.

My niece babysat for the first time. Will be making a lot more use of her!

============================
    Thursday : New Marathon Plan
    Original Plan: 5 mile race; New Plan 10 min WU; 3x1mile @ 8:15 with Recovery 0.5 mile @ 10 min mile

So, I was pottering away with the Boards plan and still thinking about the advice I got here a few weeks ago so I signed up with a coach to write me a personalized plan. We spoke Thursday morning and an hour later I’d a new and exciting plan. I’d arranged to meet friends for the Coachford 5 mile race and didn’t want to not go but my plan had me starting that day so decided to do the race as the session.

First mile was tough to stay at the 10 min mile and was actually at 9:43. Started my first 8:15 mile going uphill, a sharp downhill and then a drag up. Did it in 8:28 and that was a struggle. Back to recovery on the flat and the next mile was another tough though ther were downhills in it. Clocked in at 8:30. There was water at the 2.5 mile mark but big bottles and I should have thrown it away after a few sips. Didn’t want to throw it on a country road after that so just carried it even though heavy. Really needed the next recovery and then the last mile was 8:33. Tough tough tough and no idea how I was hitting an 8:10 min mile in my 5km after the marathon at the start of June. Was wondering if I’ve bitten off more than I can chew but being positive and hoping it’s down to the fact that I have done no pace work or speed work at all lately and hopefully will come back.

Friday: Planned 5 miles easy
    Actual: nothing

I can’t run on Fridays but from now on I have the plan adjusted to deal with that.

Saturday: Planned 9 miles with 8 miles @ 9:10; last mile @ 8:58
    Actual: 8 miles ( 9:11; 9:01; 9:02; 9:07; 9:07; 9:18; 9:24; 9:09)
    Last mile 8:50

I was nervous of this after Thursday night. Up at 6:30 for a cup of coffee and a couple of Baked Oat Muffins I’d made the night before. Was running by 7:30. First mile is a drag uphill but pretty spot on. Effort was a bit too much after that when it flattened out and downhill but found it hard to adjust without slowing down too much. Running back up that hill at mile 6 slowed me right down and the next mile was slower too as I recovered. The 8th mile was tough and I knew I’d yet to pick up the pace for the last mile. A bit of downhill was going to help and then I finished the last mile nice and fast in the park and walked back to the car to cool down. The sweat was dropping off me but I’d achieved it and felt really good. Home to bring the 2 boys to a birthday party then for 11 which turned out to be great as all the Mum’s sat drinking tea while they played on a bouncy castle. If I’d been at home I’d have been doing housework so that worked well!!

Oh I started listening to the West Cork podcast on Audible. Listened to 3 episodes. It’s brilliant. Highly recommend.

Sunday: Planned 6 mile easy
    Actual: 6 mile @ 10:10

Up at 6:15 for this as had to be at work to shower by 8:30 and was working u til 6 whereas I normally finish at 2ish. Was grand starting off at 9:55 pace but pretty much slowed down every mile after that. Need to check the story with easy miles as Plan said 9:40 which isn’t quite my version of easy right now. Got a blister too on the side of my foot which never happens to me. Bugged me for the last 3 miles.

Listened to episodes 4 and 5 and getting really good. All about the Sophie Tuscan de Plantier murder

So 30.1 miles covered in the week and an interesting one. This new plan is going to work me hard and put me through my paces, literally, but I’m excited and think I’ll do well. That said, I’m terrified of Thursday’s session in particular this week! Tough one tomorrow too and trying to decide whether to do a 3rd morning in a row getting up at 6am or so or wait till tomorrow eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

excited to see how you do now :) good luck this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Nice week's running! Will be really interested in seeing what this personalised plan is like, and how you get on!

I was wondering what plan you'd changed to when you mentioned on Strava and then yesterday's run looked quicker than you'd usually run for easy. Exciting times! Good luck with the new plan :)

• Advertisement

Baby75 wrote: »
    excited to see how you do now :) good luck this week :)
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Nice week's running! Will be really interested in seeing what this personalised plan is like, and how you get on!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    I was wondering what plan you'd changed to when you mentioned on Strava and then yesterday's run looked quicker than you'd usually run for easy. Exciting times! Good luck with the new plan :)

Thanks a mill. Had a brilliant session this morn. Still buzzing. Was very nervous but I hit the paces - faster than last Thursday when I struggled and a tougher session so delighted with life!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Ooh that's very exciting! What's the new plan like, is it much different to the more familiar ones? Hope you get on well with it! Sounds like a good start anyway :)

eyrie wrote: »
    Ooh that's very exciting! What's the new plan like, is it much different to the more familiar ones? Hope you get on well with it! Sounds like a good start anyway :)

It’s 3 hard runs a week and two easy. The hard run includes the long run which is done quite fast. Easy runs are a bit faster than I’m used to but I’ve questioned it and I’m guessing I’ll be told do it by feel which is grand. I did that yesterday.

I think I’ll do well on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

It’s 3 hard runs a week and two easy. The hard run includes the long run which is done quite fast. Easy runs are a bit faster than I’m used to but I’ve questioned it and I’m guessing I’ll be told do it by feel which is grand. I did that yesterday.

I think I’ll do well on it.
    Very interesting. That sounds like quite a challenging plan but I suppose that's the benefit to having it personalised, is that you can push a bit more with less risk of overdoing it if it's well tailored to you rather than a cut and paste plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Some week! Where did marathon plan come from, and what’s the target - 4 hrs? Long run pace is certainly challenging.

Murph_D wrote: »
    Some week! Where did marathon plan come from, and what’s the target - 4 hrs? Long run pace is certainly challenging.

I only get a month at a time but as the distance goes up the pace slows slightly. Currently targeting sub 4:10 and will see how I go. It should be very doable as 4:20 last year didn’t knock a feather out of me but I just haven’t trained right since even though I’ve been doing the mileage. I needed a speed injection I think :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I only get a month at a time but as the distance goes up the pace slows slightly. Currently targeting sub 4:10 and will see how I go. It should be very doable as 4:20 last year didn’t knock a feather out of me but I just haven’t trained right since even though I’ve been doing the mileage. I needed a speed injection I think :-)

Well you have just done 8 miles at a lot faster than MP so maybe GOH has bigger plans for you!

Murph_D wrote: »
    Well you have just done 8 miles at a lot faster than MP so maybe GOH has bigger plans for you!

LOL - I was wondering myself to be honest. Maybe he’s just seeing how I handle them first. Saturday and today were fine anyway. Tough but I didn’t have to stop or anything. Will see what happens as the distances increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Just curious, what was your actual target time last year, if you had one?

I'm beginning to wonder is it wise for me to have a target time in my head at this early stage? I don't think it's unrealistic by any means but the last thing I want is to become too focused on it and end up getting carried away.

• Advertisement

coogy wrote: »
    Just curious, what was your actual target time last year, if you had one?

I'm beginning to wonder is it wise for me to have a target time in my head at this early stage? I don't think it's unrealistic by any means but the last thing I want is to become too focused on it and end up getting carried away.

I suppose I had in and around 4:30 in my head but my real goal was to finish it by running the whole thing with no walk breaks. On the day I wore a paceband for 4:25 and ran it in 4:20. I think train to your current paces and the races along the way will tell you where you are at and in the last few weeks you’ll have a good idea and we’ll advise you too.

Advertisement