Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Just realised I said everything but congrats. Well done on sub 2hrs! Even with a toilet break! That's just taking the piss... Lol... Great job. Roll on DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pomplamousse

Congratulations on going sub 2 hours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

Brilliant race report K, very exciting read, I could feel my heart quickening when I was reading about the last few miles!!! Congrats again on the sub 2hrs, knew you had it in you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Brilliant race report K, very exciting read, I could feel my heart quickening when I was reading about the last few miles!!! Congrats again on the sub 2hrs, knew you had it in you!

Yep delighted for you too....glad that your plan and coaching has you finally believing what DCM 17 told you. Lots more and bigger improvement to come. This is only breaking the ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

OOnegative wrote: »
    Great stuff in Killarney, fair play on breaking the 2hr barrier with ease.

Thanks a mill.
    Just realised I said everything but congrats. Well done on sub 2hrs! Even with a toilet break! That's just taking the piss... Lol... Great job. Roll on DCM

Ha ha! Unfortunate timing for sure!
    Congratulations on going sub 2 hours :D

Thank you.
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Yep delighted for you too....glad that your plan and coaching has you finally believing what DCM 17 told you. Lots more and bigger improvement to come. This is only breaking the ice!

Thanks guys. Looking forward to lots more improvements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

CONGRATS!!!!! It's a brilliant feeling breaking 2 hours for the first time, you'll do it over and again now, not a bother to you. Well done!

DCM Training

Headed into this week pretty sore after the down hills of Killarney HM. Monday was worse than Sunday. My body was tired and this was going to be a big week - Plan even had 6 days running as opposed to my normal 5 for some reason. Originally there were 4 sessions but coach changed Monday’s to an easy 6 miles when I reminded him about Killarney.

Monday: Planned 6 miles easy
    Actual: 6.2 miles @ 10:15

Did this with a friend. Nice and relaxed and chatting. Thought when I started this plan that I wouldn’t be able to run with friends but the easy runs are perfect for it. Quads still sore and my friend suggested an Epsom salts bath - why did I not remember to do that Saturday after the HM!!! I’ve a massive tub of Epsom salts from the Vetinary shop of all places so used that and Lavendar Oil and felt great after and slept well too.

Tuesday: Planned: 5mile tempo @ 8:40 / 2 min jog / 3 by 0.5miles @ 7:50 with 90sec recoveries
    Actual: Pretty much as planned!

As usual nervous of this session as it looked like a monster of one. Coach had told me to be confident and that it’s mind over body so that in mind and off I went at 8pm to do it. Legs were still tired! I did a 5 min warm up and then straight into the tempo run. About a mile into it I got a stitch but ‘mind over body’ so tried to stretch myself taller and kept going. I was following a route as I get bored doing laps of pitches so it meant I’d drags and downhills but I’m getting better at controlling my pace on them. The 5th mile was a steeper downhill into the park which hurt the quads and I was dying for the 2 min jog at this stage. Finally got to it and enjoyed the little break. Started my 3 fast half miles then and walked the recoveries in between. I’m not quite sure how many times I said ‘mind over body’ to myself but it worked. Finished and walked to cool down then.

Splits for the 5 mile tempo were 8:40; 8:31; 8:42; 8:41; 8:31
    Splits for the half miles were 7:45; 7:51; 7:53
    Total miles 7.51

Buzzing after. Nailed the session. Back for another Epsom salts and lavendar bath after that.

Wednesday: Planned 6 miles easy
    Actual: 6 miles @ 10:27

Needed a babysitter as my husband was away so meant I had to do this at 10am in the morning - less than 14 hours after my session. Maybe I should have taken a rest day as legs were tired but I had booked the babysitter so off I went. Met a friend and did it together. Took it nice and handy. Started pouring and we were drowned rats by the end of it.

Thursday: Planned 5 mile tempo @ 8:35 / 2 min jog / 10x20s hill sprints; 2 mile jog
    Actual: as planned

Here we go again! Another big one. Had to plan this well the night before to get my route and 2 mile jog perfect so I’d arrive at the bottom of the hill I’d chosen at exactly the right time. Had to figure out how to program this into the watch too. My fellow grads helped there and I gave myself 1 min recoveries for the jog backs between hill sprints.

5 min warm up and off I went again on a tempo run. GPS didn’t kick in u til then for some reason. Too much effort for the first mile so had to pull back a bit. It was really humid and I was sweating like no tomorrow. A stupid fly few into my left eye at one stage and I kept going hoping it was out and that I wasn’t running with it stuck there! Kept up the pace but once again was hanging for the 2 min jog. My route was planned almost to perfection and did a little circle and then off into my hill sprints. These are fairly new to me. Supposed to be at 1 mile race pace so 7:15. Didn’t achieve that but I was at max effort. I actually got faster at them as time went on as I got into the swing of it. I was back to the start after about 40 seconds each time but took the full minute by jogging around in a circle and then I’d go again trying to improve my technique each time. By the time I’d the 10th done I was shattered. Slow 2 mile jog back to the car then and a fly flew into my right eye. When the workout ended I was at 8.77 miles so had to keep going to get the 9 miles but I was sooo glad to stop then and sat in the car recovering for a bit before I drove home.

Splits for the tempo were 8:24; 8:35; 8:35; 8:47; 8:34
    Splits for hill sprints were 8:46; 8:26; 8:44; 8:09; 8:18; 8:14; 8:04; 8:02; 8:07; 8:08

Nailed this one too - happy but exhausted camper!

Friday: planned rest day

Saturday: Planned: 14 miles: 10@9:20; 4@9:15
    Actual: 14 miles @ 9:23

I was half looking forward to this one as slightly slower than recent sessions. Set alarm for 6 and pressed snooze twice but got up eventually. Fairly tired as not sleeping well lately as missed a lot of sleep in the last few weeks for one reason or another. Coffee, light breakfast, dressed and off. Got into my pace nice and quickly and first mile was 9:16. Was surprised that I was already dropping in sweat at that stage even though car had said 13 degrees only. I ran into Cork City and back. Been listening to the audiobook of Eleanor Oliphant so was enjoying having over 2 hours to listen to a good chunk of it. I was steady enough for ages and no problems with the pace. I started to tire though with about 5 miles to go and decided I’d take a gel. Not sure it did anything at all really. Tried to pick up the pace for the last 4 miles but it wasn’t happening. I’d gotten back to the hills and drags but I think I was just shattered. I’d a small bottle of water with me so finished that and out the bottle back into my belt. It’s one of those ronhill soft bottles and had disappeared by the time I got back to my car. No energy to go back and look for it. Doesn’t quite work in the flipbelt for some reason anyway. I was slightly disappointed that I couldn’t pick it up for the last 4 miles but my overall pace was good and it was a very heavy week. Strava tells me I last ran this route 2 weeks before DCM 17 and I did it 14 minutes faster yesterday.

Sunday: Planned 5 miles easy
    Actual: Day of rest

Was out for dinner last night and had 4 g&ts. Was home by 11 and straight to bed and slept until 11 this morning. Eventually made it down stairs and had breakfast and lay on the couch and fell asleep again. I can’t remember the last time I did so little in one day. I usually don’t sit down and on the go all the time. I don’t think it was the g&ts but I think I was just exhausted after Killarney and the heavy week of running. It’s still fairly new to me and I’m not eating and sleeping as well as I should be. I made the decision to skip my easy 5 miles - right now I’d happily go do it but I think I need the break and last thing I want is to injure myself. I realize there’s been a huge ramp up lately on my new plan and I’m loving it - I do hope it’s not too much for me. That said, I’m looking forward to this week. It doesn’t look as hard ... still 3 sessions but ok ones ... I think.

Total mileage this week 42.8 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

What a week of running. I'm in awe!
    I don't know where you find the energy and strength, and you have a family too! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭BrownEyes79

What an amazing week of running for you! Don’t know how you kept going, think you were right to skip today though, sometimes your body just knows when it needs a rest!
    BTW I’m reading Eleanor Oliphant too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Kellygirl wrote: »
    DCM Training

Headed into this week pretty sore after the down hills of Killarney HM. Monday was worse than Sunday. My body was tired and this was going to be a big week - Plan even had 6 days running as opposed to my normal 5 for some reason. Originally there were 4 sessions but coach changed Monday’s to an easy 6 miles when I reminded him about Killarney.

Monday: Planned 6 miles easy
    Actual: 6.2 miles @ 10:15

Did this with a friend. Nice and relaxed and chatting. Thought when I started this plan that I wouldn’t be able to run with friends but the easy runs are perfect for it. Quads still sore and my friend suggested an Epsom salts bath - why did I not remember to do that Saturday after the HM!!! I’ve a massive tub of Epsom salts from the Vetinary shop of all places so used that and Lavendar Oil and felt great after and slept well too.

Tuesday: Planned: 5mile tempo @ 8:40 / 2 min jog / 3 by 0.5miles @ 7:50 with 90sec recoveries
    Actual: Pretty much as planned!

As usual nervous of this session as it looked like a monster of one. Coach had told me to be confident and that it’s mind over body so that in mind and off I went at 8pm to do it. Legs were still tired! I did a 5 min warm up and then straight into the tempo run. About a mile into it I got a stitch but ‘mind over body’ so tried to stretch myself taller and kept going. I was following a route as I get bored doing laps of pitches so it meant I’d drags and downhills but I’m getting better at controlling my pace on them. The 5th mile was a steeper downhill into the park which hurt the quads and I was dying for the 2 min jog at this stage. Finally got to it and enjoyed the little break. Started my 3 fast half miles then and walked the recoveries in between. I’m not quite sure how many times I said ‘mind over body’ to myself but it worked. Finished and walked to cool down then.

Splits for the 5 mile tempo were 8:40; 8:31; 8:42; 8:41; 8:31
    Splits for the half miles were 7:45; 7:51; 7:53
    Total miles 7.51

Buzzing after. Nailed the session. Back for another Epsom salts and lavendar bath after that.

Wednesday: Planned 6 miles easy
    Actual: 6 miles @ 10:27

Needed a babysitter as my husband was away so meant I had to do this at 10am in the morning - less than 14 hours after my session. Maybe I should have taken a rest day as legs were tired but I had booked the babysitter so off I went. Met a friend and did it together. Took it nice and handy. Started pouring and we were drowned rats by the end of it.

Thursday: Planned 5 mile tempo @ 8:35 / 2 min jog / 10x20s hill sprints; 2 mile jog
    Actual: as planned

Here we go again! Another big one. Had to plan this well the night before to get my route and 2 mile jog perfect so I’d arrive at the bottom of the hill I’d chosen at exactly the right time. Had to figure out how to program this into the watch too. My fellow grads helped there and I gave myself 1 min recoveries for the jog backs between hill sprints.

5 min warm up and off I went again on a tempo run. GPS didn’t kick in u til then for some reason. Too much effort for the first mile so had to pull back a bit. It was really humid and I was sweating like no tomorrow. A stupid fly few into my left eye at one stage and I kept going hoping it was out and that I wasn’t running with it stuck there! Kept up the pace but once again was hanging for the 2 min jog. My route was planned almost to perfection and did a little circle and then off into my hill sprints. These are fairly new to me. Supposed to be at 1 mile race pace so 7:15. Didn’t achieve that but I was at max effort. I actually got faster at them as time went on as I got into the swing of it. I was back to the start after about 40 seconds each time but took the full minute by jogging around in a circle and then I’d go again trying to improve my technique each time. By the time I’d the 10th done I was shattered. Slow 2 mile jog back to the car then and a fly flew into my right eye. When the workout ended I was at 8.77 miles so had to keep going to get the 9 miles but I was sooo glad to stop then and sat in the car recovering for a bit before I drove home.

Splits for the tempo were 8:24; 8:35; 8:35; 8:47; 8:34
    Splits for hill sprints were 8:46; 8:26; 8:44; 8:09; 8:18; 8:14; 8:04; 8:02; 8:07; 8:08

Nailed this one too - happy but exhausted camper!

Friday: planned rest day

Saturday: Planned: 14 miles: 10@9:20; 4@9:15
    Actual: 14 miles @ 9:23

I was half looking forward to this one as slightly slower than recent sessions. Set alarm for 6 and pressed snooze twice but got up eventually. Fairly tired as not sleeping well lately as missed a lot of sleep in the last few weeks for one reason or another. Coffee, light breakfast, dressed and off. Got into my pace nice and quickly and first mile was 9:16. Was surprised that I was already dropping in sweat at that stage even though car had said 13 degrees only. I ran into Cork City and back. Been listening to the audiobook of Eleanor Oliphant so was enjoying having over 2 hours to listen to a good chunk of it. I was steady enough for ages and no problems with the pace. I started to tire though with about 5 miles to go and decided I’d take a gel. Not sure it did anything at all really. Tried to pick up the pace for the last 4 miles but it wasn’t happening. I’d gotten back to the hills and drags but I think I was just shattered. I’d a small bottle of water with me so finished that and out the bottle back into my belt. It’s one of those ronhill soft bottles and had disappeared by the time I got back to my car. No energy to go back and look for it. Doesn’t quite work in the flipbelt for some reason anyway. I was slightly disappointed that I couldn’t pick it up for the last 4 miles but my overall pace was good and it was a very heavy week. Strava tells me I last ran this route 2 weeks before DCM 17 and I did it 14 minutes faster yesterday.

Was out for dinner last night and had 4 g&ts. Was home by 11 and straight to bed and slept until 11 this morning. Eventually made it down stairs and had breakfast and lay on the couch and fell asleep again. I can’t remember the last time I did so little in one day. I usually don’t sit down and on the go all the time. I don’t think it was the g&ts but I think I was just exhausted after Killarney and the heavy week of running. It’s still fairly new to me and I’m not eating and sleeping as well as I should be. I made the decision to skip my easy 5 miles - right now I’d happily go do it but I think I need the break and last thing I want is to injure myself. I realize there’s been a huge ramp up lately on my new plan and I’m loving it - I do hope it’s not too much for me. That said, I’m looking forward to this week. It doesn’t look as hard ... still 3 sessions but ok ones ... I think.

Total mileage this week 42.8 miles.

Great log you're keeping here Kellygirl, really enjoying this one!!

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    What a week of running. I'm in awe!
    I don't know where you find the energy and strength, and you have a family too! Well done.

Thanks V. I hope I’ve not bitten off more than I can chew. I’m surprising myself at being able to do the sessions. Need to stop eating rubbish and try to sleep more though.
    What an amazing week of running for you! Don’t know how you kept going, think you were right to skip today though, sometimes your body just knows when it needs a rest!
    BTW I’m reading Eleanor Oliphant too!!

First time I’ve ever listened to an audiobook and so surprised how much I’m enjoying it. Going to allow the audible subscription go for another month and download another one. Must decide which one. Never get time to read any more so this is brilliant listening while running.
    coogy wrote: »
    Great log you're keeping here Kellygirl, really enjoying this one!!

Thanks Coogy. Enjoy your holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Really solid training, very impressive.
    Especially well done on taking the rest day. Your body knows best.

Really solid training, very impressive.
    Especially well done on taking the rest day. Your body knows best.

Thanks Unthought Known. I feel so much better today for it. Glad I took the day off now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭ariana`

Super week again K and it definitely sounds like that rest day was the right choice.

Well done on the week. I have to agree with others about the rest. There's a long 12 weeks to go and being exhausted all the time just isn't an option. Staying fit and fresh is more important than hitting pace or mileage targets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I loved Eleonor.

Another big week from you. Really impressive stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

It's amazing how well you seem to be adapting to this training - it's very heavy looking and you're really taking it in your stride. In fact the positivity from you about it over the last few weeks is really striking! Definitely no harm balancing it with rest when needed.

eyrie wrote: »
    It's amazing how well you seem to be adapting to this training - it's very heavy looking and you're really taking it in your stride. In fact the positivity from you about it over the last few weeks is really striking! Definitely no harm balancing it with rest when needed.

Thanks Eyrie. I am loving it. Delighted to feel confident about the plan I’m doing.

DCM Training - 1 month down

I’m amused reading my last comment here as that’s not quite how I feel this week and this plan seems to be doing that to me and giving me a right rollercoaster of emotions as I said before. Anyway, more analysis later.

Monday: Planned 7 mile tempo 6@8:50; 1@8:40
    Actual: 8 miles with WU, 8:51; 8:41; 8:50; 8:41; 8:59; 9:00; 8:38; CD

This was a lovely run. It was to be putting a bit of effort in but not so fast that it was hard going and needing recovery and I loved just running away listening to my audio book and keeping a close enough eye on pace. Paces weren’t a problem and even though it was humid out I found it really comfortable. Heart rate was average 146 and max 166 which is quite low for me or no different to an easy run really. The rest and break the day before had paid off.

Wednesday: Planned 3x2 miles @ 8:25 with 2 min recoveries
    Actual: 7.5 miles, 10 min WU: 8:12; 8:23; 8:16; 8:25; 8:27; 8:24; CD

Was feeling tired and sluggish all day before this one and then had to do it at 6pm to be home to let my husband go out. Not ideal as very sunny and warm and paces were to be fast. Was not looking forward to it. Off I went anyway and decided to do it around the pitches in the park so it would be nice and flat. It was tough going from the start and legs a bit sore but kept going. Did the first mile too fast so was trying to slow down to the right pace. Same thing happened for the 2nd set. I was wrecked but headed into the 3rd set and was more on pace here coming in at 8:27 for the first mile. I was slower again for the 2nd mile but when I saw 0.3miles to go I sprinted until the watch beeped and came in at 8:24. I was exhausted after and clothes soaked from sweat. Had a banana and home then to drop my husband out and put the kids to bed and shower before my own dinner. Didn’t stretch properly either.

Thursday: Planned 7 miles easy
    Actual: 7 miles @ 10:33

Nothing major about this. Did it with a friend and quite enjoyable besides swallowing flies. Found it harder than I should have as legs a bit sore. Right quad has been sore ever since Killarney and left calf tight.

Saturday: Planned 14.5 miles: 10 @ 9:25; 4.5 @ 9:15
    Actual - ran 10 miles, walked / ran last 4

Tired yet again after another stupid’s nice sleep. Pressed snooze for a bit and got up, coffee, toast and peanut butter and got ready. Set off about 8am in the rain. Was very warm so wore my sleeveless rain jacket and visor. First mile was 9:11 and a bit too fast. My right quad was sore and hoped it would stop hurting. Kept going and noticed my pace was dropping. I really wasn’t feeling this run. I stopped at about 5 miles to use the facilities more for a break than actually needing to use them. Quad was very sore starting again but pain lessened so kept going. I had stopped watching my pace at this stage and was just thinking about the distance. However I got to 10 miles and that was it, started walking and just gave up. I was soaked so every now and then and I ran a bit. When I got to a shop at 12 miles I went in and got a lucozade sport. I hadn’t carried water or taken a gel and this tasted great. I decided I wasn’t going to run any more though I still had nearly 2.5 miles to go to get back to the car. Turned off the watch and just walked on and a friend picked me up for the last half mile - it was a real downpour after that so I was lucky she passed.

Sunday: planned 4 miles
    Didn’t do this run. I could have but my husband has been minding the kids all weekend and I didn’t want to run too late tonight as doing 6 miles in the morning as the only time the babysitter is available.

Total miles: 34.5 miles

Soooo, wasn’t exactly feeling good about this. I have a sports massage booked for Tuesday anyway to hopefully sort the quad. Truthfully though it was more than likely lack of energy too. It’s been a heavy month, the heaviest I have ever done. I was wondering if I made a big mistake signing up to this plan. I certainly am not going to be able to keep this pace of training up. Without me saying anything there were a few comments on Strava from people who’s opinions I respect that the plan is too much. I had already emailed coach asking for a phone call to review the plan and that I think it’s too heavy for me. I’d have probably been quite down in the dumps yesterday but I’d a friend visiting for the night and we were going out for dinner and drinks with other old friends. I had planned to drive but threw caution to the wind and left the car at home and chilled out with a few drinks. It was a good distraction.

Today I have received an email from the coach with the plan for the next month and will have a call tomorrow eve. Plan is different in that with the exception of one week there are 3 easy runs, one session (no harder than I’ve done already) and the long runs which are getting longer and a bit slower too. I still have a few queries about paces etc but feeling slightly more confident again. Just to get rid of this niggly quad now and hopefully get back on track. Now if somebody could tape my mouth shut and stop me picking at rubbish outside of meals I’d be all sorted.

It did look very tough but I had my doubts it would be that way all the way through. A couple of your sessions have been mega tough.

• Advertisement

It did look very tough but I had my doubts it would be that way all the way through. A couple of your sessions have been mega tough.

Yeah, I’m planning to ask what’s the theory behind the aggressiveness of it. I have loved achieving the sessions but the last two longer runs have suffered. Ooh, maybe I should do shorter stuff :D:rolleyes:

Kellygirl wrote:
    Yeah, I’m planning to ask what’s the theory behind the aggressiveness of it. I have loved achieving the sessions but the last two longer runs have suffered. Ooh, maybe I should do shorter stuff

Now you're talking my language haha.

Yeah, I’m planning to ask what’s the theory behind the aggressiveness of it. I have loved achieving the sessions but the last two longer runs have suffered. Ooh, maybe I should do shorter stuff :D:rolleyes:

I was more than a bit concerned by what you were doing for a couple of reasons. The first was that your coach didn't seem to have any interest in past performances which would surely be a good starting point. But he knows a lot more than me about marathon running :pac:
    The second was because of a rule of thumb that I had heard about many times about stepping up training...the 10% rule. Never to increase frequency of running, distance or pace by more than 10%. I was worried that you became a 6 day a week runner after always running 4, running much faster and for longer in such a short space of time.
    Now you're talking my language haha.

What are you like? :pac:

skyblue46 wrote:
    What are you like?

I'll have ye all giving up marathons yet. Just you wait and see.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I was more than a bit concerned by what you were doing for a couple of reasons. The first was that your coach didn't seem to have any interest in past performances which would surely be a good starting point. But he knows a lot more than me about marathon running :pac:
    The second was because of a rule of thumb that I had heard about many times about stepping up training...the 10% rule. Never to increase frequency of running, distance or pace by more than 10%. I was worried that you became a 6 day a week runner after always running 4, running much faster and for longer in such a short space of time.

What are you like? :pac:

Yes I totally get you. I did check the paces straight away and they correlated with my 5 mile PB and what I expected my HM pb to be so was kind of ok with them. I do have some queries about easy pace though which I’m going to ask tomorrow. I have been doing it easier than prescribed unless there’s a mistake there. Doesn’t make sense to me to be pushing it faster.

I had moved up to 5 days a week since end of April / start of May and I think I’d only one 6 day week but distances definitely increased rapidly from the easy running I was doing after Cork and I went from practically all easy running with a few pace runs to hell for leather stuff. Maybe I should queried it more at the start. Either way it seems to be dropping back to a normal level now for some reason and besides one session I’ve an easy week ahead as long run is just 12.5 miles before ramping up the LR distance the week after. Hopefully I’ll get back on track again and the last month will stand to me big time and give me a nice little boost to get on with things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

DCM Training - 1 month down

I’m amused reading my last comment here as that’s not quite how I feel this week and this plan seems to be doing that to me and giving me a right rollercoaster of emotions as I said before. Anyway, more analysis later.

Monday: Planned 7 mile tempo 6@8:50; 1@8:40
    Actual: 8 miles with WU, 8:51; 8:41; 8:50; 8:41; 8:59; 9:00; 8:38; CD

This was a lovely run. It was to be putting a bit of effort in but not so fast that it was hard going and needing recovery and I loved just running away listening to my audio book and keeping a close enough eye on pace. Paces weren’t a problem and even though it was humid out I found it really comfortable. Heart rate was average 146 and max 166 which is quite low for me or no different to an easy run really. The rest and break the day before had paid off.

Wednesday: Planned 3x2 miles @ 8:25 with 2 min recoveries
    Actual: 7.5 miles, 10 min WU: 8:12; 8:23; 8:16; 8:25; 8:27; 8:24; CD

Was feeling tired and sluggish all day before this one and then had to do it at 6pm to be home to let my husband go out. Not ideal as very sunny and warm and paces were to be fast. Was not looking forward to it. Off I went anyway and decided to do it around the pitches in the park so it would be nice and flat. It was tough going from the start and legs a bit sore but kept going. Did the first mile too fast so was trying to slow down to the right pace. Same thing happened for the 2nd set. I was wrecked but headed into the 3rd set and was more on pace here coming in at 8:27 for the first mile. I was slower again for the 2nd mile but when I saw 0.3miles to go I sprinted until the watch beeped and came in at 8:24. I was exhausted after and clothes soaked from sweat. Had a banana and home then to drop my husband out and put the kids to bed and shower before my own dinner. Didn’t stretch properly either.

Thursday: Planned 7 miles easy
    Actual: 7 miles @ 10:33

Nothing major about this. Did it with a friend and quite enjoyable besides swallowing flies. Found it harder than I should have as legs a bit sore. Right quad has been sore ever since Killarney and left calf tight.

Saturday: Planned 14.5 miles: 10 @ 9:25; 4.5 @ 9:15
    Actual - ran 10 miles, walked / ran last 4

Tired yet again after another stupid’s nice sleep. Pressed snooze for a bit and got up, coffee, toast and peanut butter and got ready. Set off about 8am in the rain. Was very warm so wore my sleeveless rain jacket and visor. First mile was 9:11 and a bit too fast. My right quad was sore and hoped it would stop hurting. Kept going and noticed my pace was dropping. I really wasn’t feeling this run. I stopped at about 5 miles to use the facilities more for a break than actually needing to use them. Quad was very sore starting again but pain lessened so kept going. I had stopped watching my pace at this stage and was just thinking about the distance. However I got to 10 miles and that was it, started walking and just gave up. I was soaked so every now and then and I ran a bit. When I got to a shop at 12 miles I went in and got a lucozade sport. I hadn’t carried water or taken a gel and this tasted great. I decided I wasn’t going to run any more though I still had nearly 2.5 miles to go to get back to the car. Turned off the watch and just walked on and a friend picked me up for the last half mile - it was a real downpour after that so I was lucky she passed.

Sunday: planned 4 miles
    Didn’t do this run. I could have but my husband has been minding the kids all weekend and I didn’t want to run too late tonight as doing 6 miles in the morning as the only time the babysitter is available.

Total miles: 34.5 miles

Soooo, wasn’t exactly feeling good about this. I have a sports massage booked for Tuesday anyway to hopefully sort the quad. Truthfully though it was more than likely lack of energy too. It’s been a heavy month, the heaviest I have ever done. I was wondering if I made a big mistake signing up to this plan. I certainly am not going to be able to keep this pace of training up. Without me saying anything there were a few comments on Strava from people who’s opinions I respect that the plan is too much. I had already emailed coach asking for a phone call to review the plan and that I think it’s too heavy for me. I’d have probably been quite down in the dumps yesterday but I’d a friend visiting for the night and we were going out for dinner and drinks with other old friends. I had planned to drive but threw caution to the wind and left the car at home and chilled out with a few drinks. It was a good distraction.

Today I have received an email from the coach with the plan for the next month and will have a call tomorrow eve. Plan is different in that with the exception of one week there are 3 easy runs, one session (no harder than I’ve done already) and the long runs which are getting longer and a bit slower too. I still have a few queries about paces etc but feeling slightly more confident again. Just to get rid of this niggly quad now and hopefully get back on track. Now if somebody could tape my mouth shut and stop me picking at rubbish outside of meals I’d be all sorted.

Kellygirl, I love reading your posts and I think its great to see you being so committed!
    Apologies if I missed where you may have already have recorded this but how did you decide on the type of training schedule you would commit to after running last year's DCM?
    I don't want to get too ahead of myself but part of me is already looking ahead to next year and am wondering if I do continue on the marathon buzz, will I need to consider other traing schedules, considering I'll no longer be a first-timer :)

coogy wrote: »
    Kellygirl, I love reading your posts and I think its great to see you being so committed!
    Apologies if I missed where you may have already have recorded this but how did you decide on the type of training schedule you would commit to after running last year's DCM?
    I don't want to get too ahead of myself but part of me is already looking ahead to next year and am wondering if I do continue on the marathon buzz, will I need to consider other traing schedules, considering I'll no longer be a first-timer :)

Thanks Coogy. After the Novices thread closes somebody sets up a Graduates thread and there are plans posted there developed by Testosterscone here on Boards. They are brilliant and you can choose what distance you want to follow etc. Some of last years group got serious pbs following them. I had an issue at the time that I could only run 4 days a week so chose a Hal Higdon plan for Cork but while it got me round it didn’t develop my speed / pace. I was dithering for ages about Dublin and what to follow as had lost a bit of confidence so decided to go down the personalized plan route. For you, your best bet will be to follow the Graduates plan as it really is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

The plan really did look intense on Strava, but you really gave it a good shot! Maybe it's too intense right now, but could give you an idea of where you might like to head in terms of training? Or not, of course :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Who's your coach Kellygirl?

• Advertisement

ReeReeG wrote: »
    The plan really did look intense on Strava, but you really gave it a good shot! Maybe it's too intense right now, but could give you an idea of where you might like to head in terms of training? Or not, of course :p

Definitely very intense last month but seems to be more achievable for the month ahead so feeling more positive this morning. For the most part I achieved all the runs/sessions and surprisingly so to myself. It was really only the last two long runs that suffered and that was a case of not hitting the paces last week and walking after 10 miles on Saturday. Keeping up that intensity may have killed me though :D

Advertisement