Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If it’s meant to be, it’s up to me.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Definitely very intense last month but seems to be more achievable for the month ahead so feeling more positive this morning. For the most part I achieved all the runs/sessions and surprisingly so to myself. It was really only the last two long runs that suffered and that was a case of not hitting the paces last week and walking after 10 miles on Saturday. Keeping up that intensity may have killed me though :D

Glad you're feeling more positive this morning and hopefully, your confidence will be restored after a chat with GO'H this evening. It might even be just a small tweak with pacing is all that's needed - it's great that you can chat it through with him, anyway.

It's perfectly normal to feel wiped after a change of intensity in plans and not finishing LRs would knock my confidence too, but try not to let it get you down. You've a great consistent year of running behind you with a really nice base built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing K, in terms of paying attention to how you're feeling and reviewing the plan in response. You've done great work over the last month and no doubt it will stand to you, but it's no good if it's not sustainable so it sounds like a different approach for the next phase would be no bad thing. Hope the chat goes well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

coogy wrote: »
    Kellygirl, I love reading your posts and I think its great to see you being so committed!
    Apologies if I missed where you may have already have recorded this but how did you decide on the type of training schedule you would commit to after running last year's DCM?
    I don't want to get too ahead of myself but part of me is already looking ahead to next year and am wondering if I do continue on the marathon buzz, will I need to consider other traing schedules, considering I'll no longer be a first-timer :)

Thanks Coogy. After the Novices thread closes somebody sets up a Graduates thread and there are plans posted there developed by Testosterscone here on Boards. They are brilliant and you can choose what distance you want to follow etc. Some of last years group got serious pbs following them. I had an issue at the time that I could only run 4 days a week so chose a Hal Higdon plan for Cork but while it got me round it didn’t develop my speed / pace. I was dithering for ages about Dublin and what to follow as had lost a bit of confidence so decided to go down the personalized plan route. For you, your best bet will be to follow the Graduates plan as it really is excellent.

That sounds great!
    I actually have my eye on next year's Manchester marathon. My wife is from there and we could tie it in with a visit to the outlaws.......��

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

That sounds great!
    I actually have my eye on next year's Manchester marathon. My wife is from there and we could tie it in with a visit to the outlaws.......��

Oh fab. When is Manchester? You will learn so much from DCM being your first marathon to apply in training and during the next one the.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭ariana`

That sounds great!

Even more reason to enjoy DCM coogy! It's going to be a PB whatever time you do, enjoy the experience and then in Manchester (or where ever you decide) you can take a more aggressive approach to the training and target ;)

• Advertisement

Oh fab. When is Manchester? You will learn so much from DCM being your first marathon to apply in training and during the next one the.

I think it's around Easter time if I'm not mistaken...or maybe just beforehand.
    Either way, I know this marathon will not be my last! :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Even more reason to enjoy DCM coogy! It's going to be a PB whatever time you do, enjoy the experience and then in Manchester (or where ever you decide) you can take a more aggressive approach to the training and target ;)

Thanks Ariana, just need to break the news to the rest of my family now.............:D

Thanks Ariana, just need to break the news to the rest of my family now.............:D

You need to wait until they are on a high from seeing you do DCM :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

coogy wrote:
    I think it's around Easter time if I'm not mistaken...or maybe just beforehand. Either way, I know this marathon will not be my last!

Coogy have I ever told you about a lovely distance called the 10k?

Oh here we go!!! :D Don’t listen to him Coogy. He’s trying to convert us all to short stuff. ;)

• Advertisement

Kellygirl wrote:
    Oh here we go!!! Don’t listen to him Coogy. He’s trying to convert us all to short stuff.

I promise it will make better marathon runners out of ye all.......... if ye ever decide to go back after going through the joys of training for the shorter stuff :) lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I promise it will make better marathon runners out of ye all.......... if ye ever decide to go back after going through the joys of training for the shorter stuff :) lol

I'm all over it. Sub 40 is my post marathon primary goal :D

I believe you - and look what came in the post today and is sitting beside me on the sofa now!!!

skyblue46 wrote:
    I'm all over it. Sub 40 is my post marathon primary goal

You'll be all over that... And hopefully the bug bites. I see you running 800m races and all sorts next year ;)
    Kellygirl wrote:
    I believe you - and look what came in the post today and is sitting beside me on the sofa now!!!

See, even the postman agrees with me. Haha. It's a good book with some very good plans. I was just about to start some plans on it when the boss man came along and fixed me. Haha. At the very least it'll show you how to progress sessions and where the different elements fit in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

You'll be all over that... And hopefully the bug bites. I see you running 800m races and all sorts next year ;)

See, even the postman agrees with me. Haha. It's a good book with some very good plans. I was just about to start some plans on it when the boss man came along and fixed me. Haha. At the very least it'll show you how to progress sessions and where the different elements fit in.

God damn you, you're infecting the whole forum with this short
    stuff melarkey :D:D

Must resist, must resist :D:D

Might have a look at the book though :)

martyboy48 wrote:
    God damn you, you're infecting the whole forum with this short stuff melarkey

I should put it into my goals for next year. Convert 60% of the forum to 5k/10k..........

skyblue46 wrote: »

I'm all over it. Sub 40 is my post marathon primary goal :D

I would love to do that too!! :)

coogy wrote:
    I think it's around Easter time if I'm not mistaken...or maybe just beforehand. Either way, I know this marathon will not be my last!

Haha, it's actually now one of my favorite distances! When I first took up running, I thought of 10k as a monster distance. Now I'm like "Ha, 10k? Bwahahaha!! Mwahahaha!!"

Or something like that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

I've done one of the half plans from this a couple of times. It's nice and easy to follow. I might dig it out again post marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭ariana`

I should put it into my goals for next year. Convert 60% of the forum to 5k/10k..........

Only 60%.... :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

you might just do it !!! esp if it will help improve Marathon times :D

I might have to invest in that book K, it looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

Haha, it's actually now one of my favorite distances! When I first took up running, I thought of 10k as a monster distance. Now I'm like "Ha, 10k? Bwahahaha!! Mwahahaha!!"

Or something like that.......

You're just not racing them fast enough :pac: ;)

ariana` wrote:
    Only 60%....

I'm realistic. Some are well and truly hooked.. Haha

Might as well update as won’t be running again this week.

Went into this week all over the place in my head I knew I obviously couldn’t keep up the intensity of the previous month. However I got the plan for this month on Sunday and it was much more realistic and doable. This week was a step back week of sorts with one session and the long run would only have been 12.5 miles albeit at pace but that’s ok.

My thigh was getting sorer and sorer though. It’s been sore since the downhills in Killarney but I just figured it was normal DOMs and kept pounding on it of course. I’d say whatever it is, maybe my hip or something is now causing my ITB to pull on everything else and I can feel my knee pulling at this stage too.

I went out for 6 miles easy on Monday and nearly gave up at 4 miles. Was just after going down a hill and was fairly sore. It relaxed a little though so I finished the run including doing the last mile at 8:20 (well 8:17). I had a sports massage booked for the next day so figured that would sort me out. That got postponed and then went to the Personal Trainer who was doing it Wednesday and he still hadn’t found his table to do it so he gave me a stretching and strengthening program instead as he reckons it’s my hip flexors causing the problem. I still want a quick fix though so got onto my physio. She’s on holidays but will text over the weekend when she’s home with an appointment.

Last night I went out to do my planned session - 6x1 mile @ 8:15 with 2 minute recoveries. I was looking forward to this as my energy was back and I did a similar session but at 8:05 back at the start of the plan. I couldn’t hit the 8:05 at the time but was around 8:15/8:20 so looking forward to seeing how I’d improved in one way. Did my 10 min WarmUp and loads of energy but the thigh was so tight. I picked up the pace but fairly quickly copped that this was not a good idea. I run through various niggles all the time but this is way more than a niggle and it’s the pulling on my knee that was worrying me. I stopped and walked and stretched and then decided I’d just do the distance easy running but another bit on and I thought I was limping so called it a day.

I spent a few hours in the middle of the night up with my 2 year old and was in and out of bed and my leg was very sore. Started googling then while I was waiting to be called again and was wondering what a tear in the muscle feels like etc. Hopefully that’s just middle of the night panic and I’m just going to hold on now and see the physio whenever that is and not attempt to run again. She’s a miracle worker so she’ll sort me out. Thoughts of not making the start line are entering my head etc but that’s just panic. Hopefully I’ll be able to pick up the plan again soon. This month looks fun so be a shame to miss out on it.

So the grand total of 8.3 miles this week :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

See what the physio says, might be something very fixable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

It may not be the same, but it does sound a lot like the issues I had just before Limerick. They turned out to be the quad afterall, and manifested itself in knee pain especially when trying to push harder pace. Two physio trips were needed to rub it out, but also this stretch was excellent (albeit horrible at first... picture robbed from Google, this is not me!): 
    458601.jpg
    I did it first against the couch so my foot could rest a little easier, and it wasn't as strong, and now do them like above as maintenance.
    I do hope this is what it is, as it will clear up reasonably quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

That doesn't look natural.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭MY BAD

It's a great stretch if you've pain on the inside of your knee brought on by tight quads. Clinch and told for two minutes :)

Thanks guys. Was given that stretch by the Personal Trainer I went to the other day actually - doing it off the couch. Half wondering am I more sore at the moment because of the stretching and hopefully it’s helping!

• Advertisement

That's a rough week K. Hope it's decent news. You're going very well

Advertisement